can't watch one channel while recording another

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by boscotspats, Jan 2, 2006.

1. boscotspats

boscotspats New Member

Jan 2, 2006

Advertisements

I am new to TiVo and love it.. The problem I have run into is watching one channel while I record another. I am using the serial connection on the back of my Motorola digital cable box and can't seem to get the TiVo unit to record a different selection from the one I am watching. When the cable box changes it also changes the TiVo unit... Any suggestions ???

2. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    How did you think this was going to work?
    If you only have a single SA Tivo the only ways to watch one thing and record another are to have two cable boxes, one connected to the RF bypass connector and the other to the Tivo inputs, or split the cable before it goes into the cable box. You would leave the cable box connected as it is and then take the other split cable and connect it to the bypass connector on the Tivo. This method will only allow you to watch the lower analog channels, not any digital channels that require a cable box. In the previous cases putting the Tivo in standby would let you watch the bypass signal, you would change the channel with the second cable box's remote (problematic since you will most likely have identical boxes) or with the television remote.
    You could also split the cable and have one side go directly to another input on your TV. When you wanted to watch something else you would change the TV input. This case allows you to use your TV's PIP function.

3. boscotspats

boscotspats New Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Well thank you for your reply... The way I "Thought" it might work would be to store the original transmission in it's coded form and replay the coded recording thru the decoder at the requested time. I thought someone might know how to direct the recorded data in that manner. Obviously you don't know of a way to do that.

4. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    Obviously, because there isn't a way to do it.
    Tivo only has a single tuner and it is being used by the incoming signal that is being recorded. The Tivo has to tune the channel prior to it being encoded and written to the hard drive.

5. DickK

DickK New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Northern...

Advertisements

You have to let TiVo control the box but that doesn't mean you can't do some or all of what you want. Every cable service I know of has a bunch of analog channels from 2-99. Those are accessible to you without a cable box. Split the cable coming out of the wall outlet and run one side to the cable box and one side directly to the TV. RUn channel setup on the TV to let it find what's there. Then if TiVo needs to change channel you can let it. Flip the input to the TV from TiVo on video 1 (or whatever) and watch TV with the TV's built in tuner. You won't get the digital channels or any premioum channels but you should get a bunch of stuff. Not perfect but better than nothing.

The other option is to get a second cable box and do essentially the same thing but TiVo has a STB and the TV has one too so you can watch either one.

6. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    See the link below, which can also be found in the FAQ at the top of the forum.