Can't watch downloaded shows on IPad

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jjlees, Jun 30, 2016.

1. jjlees

jjlees New Member

Dec 9, 2010

Advertisements

I downloaded three shows to watch while traveling. All three appeared to download successfully.

However, at 4-8 minutes into each show, I get the following error, "Problem Playing Recording -- An unknown error occurred." I retry to watch and get about 3 seconds in and it fails again. I can move the slider across the entire show and can see that the entire show is there, but I can't actually watch it.

I checked and the shows on the TiVo box are intact and watchable.

I have 4 Premieres with the Stream device.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

2. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    What quality did you download. I find the middle quality gives the best results.

It almost sounds like you didn't download the show and it's having issues streaming. Put your iPad in airplane mode then try to view the downloaded program.

3. jjlees

jjlees New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded with Medium quality.

I have tried it while:
    1) being external and on wifi; both connected to home as well as logged off
    2) wifi off
    3) at home on wifi.

All with the same result above. It fails after a few seconds, but I can move the slider across the show and see that there is video there. It just won't play.

Also, I would add this is an iPad with latest iOS and latest TiVo app as of 6/30/2016.

Thanks!

4. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't know what your problem is.

I can only tell you how I'd troubleshoot it.

Create some "test" recordings. Stop recording after around 15 minutes. Do an OTA station, basic cable and premium. Maybe even do both SD and HD.

Maybe the download is being corrupted during the download. Put your iPad as close to your router as possible. How are your tivos connected? Ethernet? Wireless? Try wired ethernet. If necessary temporarily run a long patch cord on the floor. Do you have more then enough room on your iPad for the shows? You can't download in the background. Does the show become unplayable at around the same point your iPad goes into sleep mode, power saving mode or automatic screen off. Make sure your iPad is plugged in when testing.

Check the software version on your tivos and stream.

5. stevens785

stevens785 New Member

Sep 10, 2017

Advertisements

Hello, I am just curious if this issue was ever solved. I have been downloading shows to my iPad for some time without issue; however, recently I've had the same problem. What's more interesting, is that the ones that crash seem to be only episodes recorded from Discovery Science. Discovery shows work fine. I download these to watch on the plane. It's really frustrating when they don't work. Thank you!