cant view available channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nlrushing, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1 of 20
    nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    i have a series 2 DT (2 of them with same problem) connected to a cable box, my provider is charter and i am in west TN.
    a couple of weeks ago i suddenly stopped being able to view a couple of channels even though they are available and on my guide list. ION is the main one i have noticed. i had shows recording, suddenly it was recording channel 106 rather than 107. when i manually enter 107 on my remote or choose ION from my guide it will lock on to it (and show the feed) for about 3 seconds then goes to next channel. there is no problem with channel except thru my tivo. i have restarted, but same result. there are upcoming programs i will not be able to see and i am getting frustrated. any ideas? and as i said i have same issue in another room of my house, also this is a digital channel, but i pay for it and i am not having same issues with most of other channels although i think there are a couple more.
    please help, i am not sure what else to try. i cant complain to charter, the channel is there, i cant complain that it isnt in my guide, it is. my tivos just wont lock on to channel for viewing.

2. Oct 9, 2011 #2 of 20
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You would not have this problem if you had a Series 3/HD (or Premiere) with cable cards, plus record 2 channels at once. No fussing with the cable box.

3. Oct 9, 2011 #3 of 20
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Both connected to a single STB? Or each connected to a separate STB? I would surely think the latter, but one never knows.

Nonsense! Of course you can.

Not as far as your equipment is concerned.

In your configuration, the TiVos don't "lock on" to anything. Your STBs do all the tuning. Have you tried manually tuning the STBs?

4. Oct 9, 2011 #4 of 20
    nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    i would love to answer your question, but i dont know what stb means. yes you laugh i know. they are dual tuner boxes and channel 107 is a digital channel. i used "lock" as a term for lack of a better word hoping someone would know my meaning. i didnt think it could be a charter issue if the channel is there in my guide and my tivo will view it for 2-3 seconds before moving on to the next available channel. i had this happen before with several digital channels but restarting resolved the issue. i am at a loss and am happy to troubleshoot any suggestions. i love my dual tuners with lifetime subs paid for, no reason to upgrade to more charter cable card nightmares until no other options. thanks for all replies and any help you can offer.

5. Oct 9, 2011 #5 of 20
    stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
  6. Oct 9, 2011 #6 of 20
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    STB = Set-Top Box AKA your cable box.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #7 of 20
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    You miss my point. The STB does indeed lock on to the tuned channel, but it is the STB which provides the channel lock, not the TiVo. Unless your TiVo is for some reason sending out "107" and then a few seconds later sending out "108" (or whatever), this is entirely an issue related to Charter's equipment. It is DEFINITELY up to them to fix it.

All the TiVo does is tell the STB to tune to a particular channel and accept the output from the STB. If it is sending out spurious commands to the STB, then this is indeed a TiVo issue, but that seems unlikely. If manually tuning the STB yields the same result, then this has nothing to do with the TiVo.

This doesn't make much sense. You can't make any real use of the dual tuners on the TiVos, especially not on digital channels. With an outboard STB, the S2 is limited to one channel at a time.

That's not true, at all. There are a very large number of features available on the S3 platform that are not available on the S2, including high definition and Ethernet access. You are certainly free to decide those features are not worth the cost of upgrading, but that does not mean there is no reason to upgrade.

8. Oct 9, 2011 #8 of 20
    MC Hammer

MC Hammer New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    The OP has a Series2 DT which does support Ethernet.

9. Oct 9, 2011 #9 of 20
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I wasn't aware of this. I thought all S2 TiVos only had USB ports. In any case, network performance on the S3 is much better than on the S2.

10. nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    yes. i have ethernet and i am able to view both tuners. i realize at some point i may not be able to but right now i record or one basic and one digital channel at same time.

yes i have both tivos connected to a cable box, which i didnt realize was a "stb" since i stated this in original post. i also have considered my S2 units (3 of them on home network) against other options and am not ready to upgrade. (i also heard rumor that charter is partnering with tivo for an upcoming unit.) i also hope and expect charter support of tivo users might improve after that time comes.

if you seriously think that calling charter will solve this ok, (puling my hair out thinking of it) i just need to understand my argument, i am not sure what is happening and cant understand why i could view channel at all even if only for seconds. that is why i am here for your advice. and i have found other channels with same issue. charter instinct will be to blame the tivo and i will have to unhook the tivo and test this - i hoped to avoid that.

and yes, once before i had issues with my cable box and we swapped it out for a new one. at first the tivo would not tune in to several digital channels. it constantly searched for next available channel (which i am not getting that message currently) but after a few days i finally thought to restart it the issue resolved. it didnt make sense to me either but it happened that way.

please reply if anything else i can answer or try. thanks.

11. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I'm not sure how the input structure of the S2 DT is arranged, but this probably does not present any problems, at least as far as this issue is concerned.

Now that may be a big problem, and might be the source of your issue.

First of all, what reason do you have for connecting two TiVos to one STB? This really doesn't make much sense on its face, but perhaps you have some unusual requirement to fill. Please expand on this.

More importantly, are you merely splitting the output of the STB (or using two of its outputs) to two different TiVos, or are you attempting to use both TiVos to control a single STB. If so, its very likely the source of your problem.

That's up to you. It will certainly simplify your setup, provide much greater usability, drastically improve network performance, and possibly save you a little money.

'Could be. Does Charter set the CCI byte on their channels? If so, you may be very disappointed with the Charter TiVo, if it ever is deployed.

It's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you are trying to control that STB with two different TiVos, then my guess would be one of your TiVos has 107 in its channel line-up and the other does not. Alternately, perhaps the two control streams are colliding and the end result is the Charter STB changes channels.

Not really. As I already advised you twice, try manually setting the channel on the STB using either its own remote or the STBs front panel controls. IF this works, then it is your TiVo(s) causing the problem. If not, then it is something on Charter's side.

For the fourth time: Does manually tuning the STB produce the same issue?

12. nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    ok.sorry sorry. first my tivos are in 2 different rooms, both connected to 2 different cable boxes. i didnt realize you thought that. remember when you made these comments i did not realize what STB meant. i merely stated all of thislikely unimportant details trying to give all possible pertinent info.
    because it is happening in both rooms is why i entertaned the idea that it could be something other than tivo i just cant imagine what. that is why i came here to ask questions before i called in to support. but maybe charter needs to reset or resend a signal to my or whatever they do.
    if there is a charter tivo coming, i dont i intend to use one, only hope that the knowledge of cable cards and tivo tuners might be better in my area. agreed i dont expect better "truck roll" service but i would rather be hopeful than not.
    i did not understand what you advised me or asked me already as i was trying to figure out the terms and clear up other confusions i created, but i will gladly check this and get back to you. should already have done so.
    if i have same issue direct on cable box and with tivo on standy then i will call charter.

13. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    OK. Scratch one possible failure mode.

It could be any number of things. It take it this happens on both?

It could be you are not authorized to receive the channel - which may or may not be an error on Charter's part. I would eliminate other possibiities before calling them, however.

Yes. Just to prevent confusion, I would disconnect one of the TiVos before calling. That way they cannot point to the TiVo as the source of the issue, irrespective of the fact it is not.

14. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Do you use serial cables or IR blasters to control the cable box? If you use serial a recent update to the firmware on the cable box is probably causing the problem. If that's the case, the only solution I know of is switching to IR.

15. nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    i have tested the channel by tuning it directly on the cable box without the tivo and there is no problem at all to watch this channel on live tv but i cannot watch it on tivo. so no point in calling charter. any point in calling tivo?
    help, what do i try now? i am not sure what can be happening.
    would it help to rerun guided setup? and if that is a possibility, would i lose my watch list or would that wipe out my to do list, season pass etc? i think so. i hope not.
    and yes i am not able to view these channels (3 or 4 of them i have found, only one i care about) with tivo on, but am able to directly from cable box if i take tivo out of mix.

16. nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    i use a serial cable. if it is a firmware issue on cable box that goes back to charter, correct? thank you for this reply

17. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It really sounds like it to me. Disconnect the serial cable, install the IR blaster cable, and modify your Channel Changing settings appropriately. You should be good to go without running the entire Guided Setup.

Calling TiVo won't help. Charter is the only one that could fix the problem and they probably won't.

18. nlrushing

nlrushing New Member

Sep 9, 2007
    ok i will test this but am very unhappy about it. i have grandkids that cant seem to resist messing with the IR cables and also i would miss 10% of my programs bcz the channel did not change correctly. I refuse to let charter switch my cable box to one without the serial port. i may just have to give up ION, i wonder if they will show flashpoint on their website, if so...
    either way, eventually i will upgrade my tivo. i will let everyone know if this solves the problem though may be a few days before i find those blasted IR cables. thanks

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    One small dissent to this statement. It is possible a different STB configuration in the TiVo setup might work. I no longer have a TiVo with an IR blaster, but in the device setup somewhere, the user selects the type of Cable Box. Changing this to a different, but similar unit might work without having to give up the serial connection. It's worth a shot.

20. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I suggest first you try my suggestion in the post just above this one. If that doesn't work, but the IR blaster does, then it may help to carefully position the IR blaster right above the IR sensor, and then cover the whole area with aluminum foil. A little work with some electrical tape will make it secure and also help prevent it from being so ugly. Most importantly, however, it will eliminate stray light from external sources.