Can't verify Getting Setup Info

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by terraphysics, Jul 19, 2015.

1. terraphysics

terraphysics New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Have a new TIVO Premiere Series 4, model 750500. When going through the initial Guide Setup, Getting Setup Info , the screen shows that the info could not be verified on the last line and to contact TIVO. The unit was ethernet connected. This was repeated many times before I called support and was told that the unit needs to be activated before anything more can be done. No info is asked on cable provider, no channel guide setup, nothing further until the unit is activated. Is this now standard? How do I know whether the unit really works before I spend more time and money installing the cablecard and activation? Anyone else have this problem?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's not a "problem" it's the way TiVo works. You pay the money to activate it and then it will contact the TiVo computers. While you may not "need" the cable card if you have clear QAM, it's pretty crude and harder to use than a VCR without one. If you're OTA that's a different matter. You have 30 days to decide, although I don't know how that works with a used box.

3. terraphysics

terraphysics New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Thanks for the response and info. I am aware of the activation process, at least as it was a number of years ago. I have four other TIVOs, going back to 2005, two series 2, one HD and one series 3HD. Two of the units have lifetime activation. None of those showed this behavior. This unit is digital cable only, it needs a card for any channel reception, even clear unencrypted QAM, it does not have any cable analog passthrough, it does not have an OTA tuner. My cable company sends out a tech to install and setup the card. Last time with the series 3HD it took multiple trips and over a week to setup. I choose the option to "get card later" to setup the program guide and a least check out that part of its function, but it never gets past the initial getting setup information window. It never makes it to the program guide setup window. The unit was purchased as new, it appeared to be still wrapped in the original plastic, it has never been activated. I am out of town for the next month, so won't be able to do any further testing until then, but any info appreciated.
    I know I won't be able to view anything until the card is installed, but should I be able to at least go through the initial Getting Setup Info without activation?

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I feel you should be able to do everything but record or transfer, but I'm not surprised you can't. Perhaps there is something else involved I can't think of. I have one Premiere without a cable card and it will record both analog and clear QAM but it is activated. If tivo.com says it's a valid device on your account I would call them for help. But that's not logical since when it does call home, I see it "getting account information".

5. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Are you saying that TiVo is giving you bad info, that you have to activate it? I'm pretty sure they are right although I have never tried to go through the setup before activation. Why don't you just activate it? Pretty sure you can get your money back if you cancel within 30 days.

6. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Every time I've tried to setup a new TiVo, I've managed to get through guided setup before activation and thus take advantage of the 7-day trial period, to guard against "infant mortality" (early failure). As I recall, getting this done with my 4-tuner Roamio was difficult. OP: As UCLABB says, you have a 30-day buyer-remorse period anyway, so just activate it. If it fails in the first 30 days, you can cancel.

7. terraphysics

terraphysics New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    As I indicated I'm out of town until the end of August. I'm not at the place where the unit will be finally located, I just bought the unit and it is with me. If I activated it now, I would be beyond the 30 day cancel window to see whether the unit works.

TIVO support indicated I will not be able to view anything until a M-card is installed, which in this case would be about 5 weeks from now.

The instructions that came with the unit indicates "You do not need a CableCard for initial Premiere setup!", but support indicated I can not get through this initial Premiere setup (a verify step) without activation. The instructions never mention activation needed to go thru this initial setup, which is why I'm confused. I did not have this problem with any of the other six TIVOs I've owned, four of which are still activated (two with lifetime). The newer four tuner units appear to be more difficult to setup.

I'll activate it when I get back home in about a month, then the fun will begin with the cable company installing the cablecard and Digital Transport Adapter (DTA). With my series 3 HD , it took over a week with multiple visits and then another 2 months to debug the cablecard installation. Later, the DTA took over another month to debug. Hopefully installations have gotten easier over the past 7 years and it can be accomplished within the 30 days. I'll post an update on the final outcome.
    Thanks