Can't Upgrade TiVo Bolt + to New Experience

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by aprest, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Mar 6, 2018 #1 of 16
    aprest

aprest Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

I bought a new TiVo VOX remote and can't upgrade my TiVo Bolt+ to the New Experience user interface. I tried pressing the Blue Button on the remote as TiVo recommends on YouTube but that does nothing. The remote works fine with my TiVo Bolt+ and the existing firmware but there is no menu to allow me to upgrade to Experience so that I have VOX control. In addition, when I tried to login to my TiVo account, to upgrade that way, I can not even access my TiVo account. I have 5 TiVos and yet, when I try to logon its says that I have tried too many times to logon after only one try. I was on the telephone for 45 minutes today with TiVo support and they were of no help. I now have two Case Numbers and I was told that it might take up to 3 days to try to solve my problems.

This is NUTS!

2. Mar 6, 2018 #2 of 16
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Make sure the remote is in RF

krkaufman likes this.
  3. BeerPimp

BeerPimp New Member

May 12, 2010
    Check this. When you press a buttons does the led blink red or yellow at the top of your remote. If it blinks red it is still in IR. In RF it blinks yellow.

4. southwos

southwos New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    I just purchased a TiVo mini VOX. When I first configured it, it stated that I couldn't use the New Experience interface, so I downgraded. After a search I realized that it should have worked as I'm connecting the mini to a Bolt. I too have tried to press the blue voice button and nothing happens. I have it paired in RF as the remote shows a yellow flash when I use the remote (also, I don't have to point the remote at the mini). Any suggestions on how to upgrade to the New Experience? Will a Reset to Defaults work?

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

What software version is running on the host? It should be 21.7.2.RC14 to use TE4.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The Bolt has to be upgraded to TE4/Hydra in order for the Mini to also get TE4/Hydra.

Scott

7. southwos

southwos New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Not sure of the version running on the host TiVo bolt, but I did force connect TiVo on the bolt to get the latest version. Pressing the blue button doesn't start the update and I don't see any other options to update.

8. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I saw the "get new Experience" under my apps menu and unchecked it under "manage."
    I believe the B blue button is not assigned to update to hydra, its assigned to toggle CC.

I got a "pending Restart" and thought hydra was installed without my approval, but it just went to 20.7.4.RC29.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I believe you can log into your Tivo account on their website and request the update. There also has been a link posted here for it.

You should review some of the posts here on the Hydra UI before upgrading as if you don't like it, you have to reset your Tivo to go back.

Scott

10. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    He has the VOX remote.
    Pressing the Mic button is all that should be needed to upgrade to Hydra

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    As things stand now, a normal software update initiated via a TiVo service connection will just bring your box up-to-date within the UI version that you're running; that is, the latest version within either the 20.* or 21.* version branches. Upgrading a DVR from 20.* to 21.* requires executing one of the "upgrade to TE4" actions.

I can't tell if you're referring to the BOLT in this statement. As others have said, a Mini requires that its software version match whatever its connected host DVR is running; so you effectively upgrade a Mini to Hydra/gen4/TE4 by upgrading its host DVR. The Mini will prompt to be upgraded once it reconnects and recognizes that its host DVR's software has changed.

As for upgrading the host DVR, aside from the options listed on the New Experience web page, here -- pairing a VOX Remote with the DVR and using the blue Mic button, or the 'Get New Experience' app -- you could try using the "Early Access Request" form at:
    Just be aware that rolling back to TE3 requires a factory reset of the DVR, snuffing all recordings and settings.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    @southwos has a VOX Remote paired with their new Mini VOX, surely, but it's unclear from their two posts whether their BOLT has a VOX Remote, as well:
    When referring to pressing the Mic button, I'm assuming they're referring to the Mic button on their Mini VOX-paired VOX Remote ... which will NOT get a Mini upgraded.

But, now, looking at the date of their last post, 8 days ago, I'm assuming they worked-out the issue and didn't bother posting back that they'd succeeding in upgrading both boxes -- or that they grew frustrated and simply returned the Mini VOX.

HerronScott likes this.
  13. southwos

southwos New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Just to give an update, I have not resolved my original issue, but decided I don't really care if I have the "New Experience". I understand it was confusing what I was saying, so I'll try to clear it up. I have a TiVo bolt and purchased a mini vox. When I was setting up the mini vox it had the "New Experience" interface out of the box. When I tried to connect to my bolt it stated that it couldn't unless I downgraded the interface to whatever the other interface is called. I downloaded and everything looks what I'm used to and works. I thought I would see what then new interface looks like and was trying to figure out how to update the mini to the "New Experience". I think what is being said is that both the bolt and mini have to have the same software version. I'm not in front of my bolt right now, but the mini is showing 20.7.4.RC18-USH-11-A95. I see that the version needs to be 20.7.4.RC20 or 21 to have the new interface. I can't find out how to update the bolt or mini to that version. If there is a simple way to do it I will try it and report back. Thanks for all the suggestions.

14. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The "New Experience" AKA Hydra, is version 21.7.2 and its hard to go back if you don't like the upgrade, but it may be needed for VOX control.

On the Bolt, reverting back to 20.7/4 from Hydra meant to lost your recordings.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't know how to phrase it any differently than what I posted previously, >here<, other than clarifying the software version branches:

21.* = Hydra, gen4, TiVo Experience 4, TE4, The New TiVo Experience

20.* = Encore, gen3, TiVo Experience 3, TE3

... and to emphasize the point made by @ThAbtO, that if you choose to update the BOLT to Hydra/21.*, later rolling back to 20.* requires a factory reset of the DVR snuffing all recordings and settings.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  16. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    The hint was in an earlier post in this thread (which I came to looking for how to upgrade) - look under the Apps menu.

That makes no sense to me, but sure enough - there was an entry advertising "Get New Experience" where you can trigger the update. Once your Bolt is updated, the Mini should update back to the new interface too.

Also repeating what the others have said - if you don't like it and want to go back you have to reset your Bolt loosing all recordings and settings.

kpeters59 likes this.