Can't Upgrade from Basic to Digital, lost TiVo IR Control Cables, Wireless...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by scotthoffman1977, Aug 28, 2007.

1. scotthoffman1977

scotthoffman1977 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Hi all-
    I upgraded to Comcast Digital Cable yesterday and I'm having an absolute fit getting my Series 2 connected.

Here are the issues/facts...
    1. I keep getting a "No DHCP Server" message during setup.
    2. Prior to the upgrade I had no problems connecting to my wireless router with my TiVo.
    3. I also discarded the IR control cables. Will a third party IR control cable like this one from SpeakerCraft work or does it have to be the TiVo brand? If not is there something else I can get from Best Buy, Radio Shack, Circuit City, etc.?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Regarding the IR control cable - I do not think it matters which brand you have but you can buy replacements from TiVo's Accessory Page

I am not sure why switching to digital cable would have any effect on your network connection - did you also change your Internet provider? Maybe if you list the equipment you can get more info - my only advise without more info is to make sure everything has been restarted.

Good Luck,

3. scotthoffman1977

Nov 2, 2005
    I saw the one on TiVo's site and I'll go that route if the one I bought won't work.

Yes, I did change my ISP. I've gone from Verizon DSL to Comcast. Comcast installed their own Netgear modem/router ON TOP OF my own Linksys router. It's a Linksys USB111 adapter connected to my TiVo and it worked fine before Comcast did their install.

I spoke with their customer service and they said they can exchange it for just a regular cable modem and then install my router again. Hopefully that'll help...hopefully.

4. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ok now things are a little clearer. Few more questions
    1. I am assuming the netgear modem/router is also wireless?
    2. Have you checked to make sure the netgear and linksys routers are not broadcasting on the same channel?
    3. Which router were you trying to connect your TiVo too?
    4. What are you connecting your computer too the netgear or linksys router? Does it work?
    5. Did the cable company do anything to your linksys router's configuration?
    I think you could have actually just added the netgear "on top of" your linksys meaning nothing but your linksys router would be connecting to the netgear router and your old LAN should have continued working as before. You would have connect the linksys to the netgear with a wire and disabled the netgear's wireless function if it is wireless.

Good Luck,

5. scotthoffman1977

Nov 2, 2005
    Gah...sorry for not being more clear. I'm a bit sleep-deprived (trying to fix this stuff and meet an article deadline last night).

1. Yes, the Netgear modem/router is wireless. The Comcast coax plugs into the back of the Netgear unit and a cable goes out of that unit into my PC.

2. The Linksys router is turned off and disconnected.

3. I was trying to connect the TiVo to the Netgear router. No trouble in the past in doing so with my Linksys router, now with the Netgear router I get the "DHCP" error message.

4. The PC is wired to the Netgear unit.

5. Hehehe...when I said "on top of", I mean the tech cleverly used my dark, disconnected Linksys router as a shelf for the sleek, white Netgear unit. It's literally on top of my Linksys router.

It's also worth mentioning that I didn't have my network secured before the install. It's been one of those things I'd been planning to get around to. Anyhoo...when I put the WEP password in when prompted, the TiVo advances to the "Attempting to connect" screen. The little wheel turns for a minute and then I get the 'bong' noise and the DHCP error message.

My wireless laptop (running Vista...don't get me started) connects fine, though, and runs like Chinese toothpaste back to the manufacturer.

6. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ok Try turning off the netgear routers WiFi security to see if you can connect your TiVo to an open network. If you can then something with your Security setup is the problem if not more debugging is needed.

You should also list the model your netgear is that way someone using the same model router can jump in with how they setup their router.

I don't use security on my routers (real remote location) so I am not going to be much help if the problem is the security settings (plus I don't own a netgear router).

Good Luck,