Can't Uninstall or Start Tivo Dektop

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jab33, Jul 20, 2011.

1. jab33

jab33 New Member

Mar 20, 2002
    los angeles
    Help! I can't run Tivo Desktop or Uninstall it. I have a Series 3 HD unit and I have Windows 7 Home Premium edititon of windows. Everything was working, Although I didn't use it often I could transfer and play back recording from the Series 3 to the computer, no problem. Then the Tivo stopped seeing the recorded program on the computer. It would see the network but it would say that there were no programs recorded. The Tivo Desktop was still working fine and showed the programs recorded. Every once in awhile the Tivo would see the programs but the next time not.

Tech support said I needed to upgrade to latest Desktop version. I decided that maybe it was a good time to upgrade to Tivo Desktop Premier, or whatever its called. So I started following the directions which include uninstalling Tivo Desktop. I Get partway into it and get message that "an error occurred" and it stops uninstalling. Then when I tried to start Desktop it says "Bonjour service is not running" and sends me to the control panel to restart it. But the computer says it is running. Tech support guy says its a firewall or Windows problem and have them figure it out!

Now I can't uninstall Tivo Desktop and I can't start it. Any ideas? I doubt Dell or McAfee tech support will be able to help.

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Try downloading and running the cleaner tool from the TiVo website.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Open the task manager and see if any of the TiVo services are running. If they are, stop them.

Try uninstalling Bonjour first. When you get things cleared up you can always re-download it.

If you still get the error, try executing the Tivo Desktop cleaner program.
    http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TivoDesktopCleaner.zip.

4. jab33

jab33 New Member

Mar 20, 2002
    los angeles
    Thanks I will try that tonight.

5. jab33

jab33 New Member

Mar 20, 2002
    los angeles
    Thank you, I just downloaded bonjour 1.0.6.2, hope it is the right one, seems like a lot of different "bonjour" programs out there, for someone not so tech savy.

The link to desktop cleaner isn't working but I think I can find it, will try that also this evening. Thanks.

6. jab33

jab33 New Member

Mar 20, 2002
    los angeles
    do i need to worry about deleting saved programs when i run the tivo cleaner?

7. djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
  8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Disable McAfee.

If that helps get things straightened out, leave it disabled (or uninstall it) and run the free versions of Avast! and Spybot S&D.