Can't turn off Descriptive Video Service

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by igelbaer, Jan 21, 2016.

1. igelbaer

igelbaer New Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Suddenly we get DVS on all shows on the local Fox digital station (WFXG Fox 54 Augusta GA). We can't turn it off. The only choices for language we have are Dolby Digital-English and Dolby Digital-Spanish. There is no other option while watching the shows or in the settings to turn DVS on or off. No matter what we pick we can't turn the DVS off. We have the Roamio HD (the cheapest model). We are on Comcast/Xfinity. We don't have problems with any other stations. The problem is not with our TV because this happens with both of our TVs (Sony and Samsung); turned off all secondary language stuff on both TVs. It also is not SAP; it is turned off and does not apply to digital per our manuals.

Is anyone else having this problem?

2. LoveGardenia

LoveGardenia Member

Apr 24, 2015
    you may have cc enabled so you need to turn that off on the TiVo. Go into the settings, display and look for Closed Captions and turn it off.

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Descriptive Video is sent on the SAP-Spanish channel.

There isn't a dedicated audio setting just for Descriptive Audio.

If turning off SAP doesn't fix it, call the station and ask to speak to an engineer.

phox

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    That is the loong way to do that. It can be done from within a show- using the info or right, then select from the menu items on the left.

5. igelbaer

igelbaer New Member

Sep 19, 2013
    DVS is not sent on SAP-Spanish for Digital stations. SAP is an analog-only system. We are watching in digital. Our choices are Dolby Digital-English and Dolby Digital-Spanish. There are no other choices. We can change to Spanish for a specific show, but not to anything else. We are already on English. We can change for all shows but are already on English.

Previous posts talked about choices of Dolby Digital-English and just Dolby Digital. We don't have those choices.

And Closed Captions has nothing to do with DVS. We use CC because I can't hear well. But I can see just fine, so don't need DVS!

Anyone else have any ideas? (I'm thinking TiVo for help!!!)

6. jssmcarlo

jssmcarlo Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Had same problem last year on local Fox station. Lasted a few weeks then went away, so I think the above is right. It's a problem at the station.

7. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Descriptive Audio (Audio Description) Tracks are on the secondary audio track which the TiVo labels as either "Spanish - Dolby Digital" or "Unknown 2 - Dolby Digital" even though the secondary audio track is not actually Spanish nor Dolby Digital.

I have only seen (or heard) actual Spanish on the secondary audio track on Premiums like HBO, SHO etc. One would think that in Arizona all stations would put Spanish on the SAP but they don't.

If the Audio Descriptions are on the primary audio track it is the fault of the broadcaster or the cable co.

8. igelbaer

igelbaer New Member

Sep 19, 2013
    The problem is the local FOX station. Friends with Comcast have had the same problem on the Comcast DVR. It appears to be intermittent. Thanks for your ideas.