Can't transfer lifetime service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by RonInMass, Nov 25, 2017.

1. RonInMass

RonInMass New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Washington, DC

Advertisements

Hi and thank you in advance for your help!

I have a series 3 Tivo that I purchased lifetime service on. I verified this with Tivo before I listed it on eBay. Now that it is sold Tivo mysteriously has no record of this box ever being activated and it has mysteriously disappeared from my account on Tivo.com. I'm not getting anywhere with customer support. I have a screenshot of the System Information screen that shows the machine is in good standing but they won't accept it. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do?

2. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm guessing there must be more details to the story that you've left out. First question is if you sold it on eBay, why do you believe it would remain under your account? Have you not yet shipped, and are still checking on your end, or have you shipped? If you shipped, I would think the new owner called TiVo to put it under his/her account...are you saying that the buyer is reporting it has no service?

3. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    And.... is the TiVo showing up on ANY TiVo accounts?

4. RonInMass

RonInMass New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I verified with Tivo before I sold it and they confirmed the TSN was active with lifetime service. They also confirmed I could sell it and the new owner would be able to activate it under their name.

When the buyer contacted Tivo, they had no record of the that TSN ever being activated.

5. RonInMass

RonInMass New Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Washington, DC

Advertisements

No, they have absolutely no record of the TSN ever being activated.

6. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    I have just the opposite - I can never get rid of a TSN.

7. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Was the series 3 used as part of the once in a lifetime transfer offer?

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Assuming the TiVo was not part of a lifetime transfer to a new unit, I’d keep after TiVo.

Did you, as per proper procedure, tell TiVo that you had sold the unit and got a ticket number to give to the buyer?

9. chicagoenergy

chicagoenergy energychicago

Nov 14, 2013
    Chicago
    I’m curious, if TiVo were to offer the $99 transfer deal for users of old units (older than Roamio) BUT you had to turn in the old unit to them rather than sell on eBay, how many would jump at that offer?

TiVo makes nothing off of lifetime sales on eBay. This would get them $99 and continue to make money off of lifetime users.

10. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Units used for the transfer deals are supposed to be deactivated by TiVo. Deactivated S2/S3 units cannot be reactivated once they are deactivated, thus they are parts machines or doorstops having little resale value.

On the other hand a Premier can be reactivated, thus an ebayed unit that is reactivated would benefit TiVo more than a returned unit that TiVo would scrap.

11. emuman100

emuman100 Member

Jul 3, 2003
    It really is a shame. People invested in older units and still like them. The software has less bugs and is designed better. Most of these units still work really well, and most of the non-working units need a recapped power supply and a new hard drive and they are as good as new. It's sad. Tivo, I hope you are listening!

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    OP it also looks like you did all of this on a holiday weekend, I'd suggest giving it another shot and escalating on Monday when it's back to a normal business week.
    This is assuming the unit is Lifetime and the Lifetime wasn't swapped off it for a Bolt transfer deal previously.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  13. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    This may be part of what I was afraid was going to happen. With those transfer of service deals. Almost NONE got deactivated, at least on the owners acct. Now who knows who sold and bought what and when. Service on S2/S3/S4s purchased by anyone after the promos could disappear at anytime. I would not buy an S2/S3/S4 with supposed lifetime myself at this time, maybe never as the upgrades our family did still show the S2s active with lifetime. I just hope the S2/S3s that were not used for any promo on my personal account do not "disappear" or go inactive, I've owned them a LONG time and still use them. Could have been SO simple, just deactivate the boxes used in promos WHEN THEY SAID THEY WOULD. 10 days, websites that don't work, specific dates that come and go....................

14. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K Active Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Tivo keeps all orders in your account. Look up the old order where you bought lifetime.

My Account>Billing History and select the device.

Or go to order history.

All of that is proof enough. Now something tells me there is still more to this story. Did you buy the box from Tivo? Did you buy from someone else in the past? Did you take advantage of an offer?

15. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Did you post a picture in the auction which showed the TSN? Should never do that if you did. Your screen shot, did you do it after a recent connection to the Tivo service, if it has not connected in awhile it might show lifetime that is no longer there. Also have you owned it since before the transfer of service promo, before April of this year? If you owned it before April 2017 and did not use it for the promo you are getting, well, screwed, if you bought it after April 2017 from a private seller, well you may be out of luck as they may have used it for the promo.

shwru980r likes this.
  16. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Create a dummy account and transfer them to the new acct. I had to do that when Tivo put someone else's order on MY account. Promised me this, promised me that, "there is no order", "we took care of it", "will be taken off your account when the actual purchaser gets it" etc etc. The order is STILL on my account, I transferred the box itself to a dummy ID.

17. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    You know I read your post again, you say the system information screen shows "good standing". I think "good standing" is account status 3, which is NOT lifetime service. Any S2/S3 that shows anything except account status 5, lifetime service, is now unusable (other than for parts or you can watch old recordings). They can move it to inactive devices or maybe even just wipe it out completely, they wiped out an S1 I used in a promo years ago, just gone completely.

18. tommage1

Nov 5, 2008
    Oh, well maybe the box can still be used if it has uninterrupted monthly/yearly service. Once service is discontinued the box can no longer be used/reactivated.