can't stream on rooted android devices

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by rboutin2, Sep 30, 2014.

1. rboutin2

rboutin2 New Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have a Verizon Droid Maxx running kit Kat and am rooted to use xposed framework. Says no streaming allowed due to unauthorized modifications. I have tried use the root cloak module for xposed and it doesn't make a difference. I am not upset or angry. It is understandable why they don't allow rooted devices. Just wanted to say if anyone finds a way to get it to work, keep us posted. I'll be looking out for a method for the next week or so.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    It'll come soon enough, then we can once again shake our heads at how Tivo and the content industry keep trying to put stupid, easily worked-around restrictions in the way of smart folks that are simply trying to watch what they pay for whenever and however they want.

3. Bytez

Bytez Member

Sep 11, 2004
    NYC
    Is there a thread on XDA about this?

4. mmf01

mmf01 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Orange...
  5. deaddeeds

deaddeeds Go Hokies

Sep 19, 2008
    Annandale, VA
  6. Oct 1, 2014 #6 of 50
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
  7. Oct 1, 2014 #7 of 50
    Captainbob

Captainbob Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Buy a Nexus phone. My Nexus 4 has no bloatware, always has the latest version of Android, as soon as it is released and I don't have to root it and possibly screw up it's functionality with different apps.

8. Oct 1, 2014 #8 of 50
    Endymion_

Endymion_ Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Sadly, "buy a Nexus phone" is not an honest alternative here. Although it is free of garbage apps that AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and other carriers load down their phones with, there are still (surprisingly) far too many things that you just can't do on a completely carrier-free unlocked phone or tablet. That includes the Nexus line, too. The Nexus line serves a good purpose and are absolutely a great value, but the additional functionality that root (or even CFW) provide will never be replaced by just using a different phone or tablet.

We just have to sit tight, this will get licked, no doubt about it.

9. Oct 1, 2014 #9 of 50
    mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Especially, if you're on VZW. Google is done with them as far as the Nexus brand is concerned.

10. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    It does seem like a custom kernel could permanently solve the problem by hooking into every known interface an app might use and artificially changing the results of service calls made by certain apps :).

11. Big Boy Laroux

Big Boy Laroux Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Tivo app not working? Solution - go buy a new phone! Yeesh.

I don't care that much about bloatware on my G2, I just ignore it. But the customization options available using something like Xposed are the reason I root. Even the stock android experience can be bettered with xposed mods like XGELS.

But anyway, I also await word on a solution. So far, the xda thread is full of equally "helpful" solutions like kmttg and streambaby, which are great and all, but do not solve this issue nor answer the question.

12. Nyce_1

Nyce_1 New Member

Sep 30, 2014
    I posted this in the other thread, but not sure if it's truly a good solution or not, but have any of you tried the app: "Triangle Away"? It resets the flash counter embedded in the device. I experimented with rooting my Note 2 (about a year ago) and installed custom ROMs, but came into an issue where some apps wouldn't fully function on my tinkered device. I used Triangle Away to set my counter back to 0 and some apps worked flawlessly after.

worth a try. free app in Play Store.

13. elborak

elborak Jack of Some Trades

Jul 15, 2014
    Western PA...
    Why don't you try it and tell us if it works?

14. Big Boy Laroux

Big Boy Laroux Member

Oct 10, 2006
    triangle away is meant to reset the counter, if you have flashed a custom ROM. I don't believe it does anything if you have only rooted.

It looks like there may be more to this issue besides root, as people are reporting in other threads that they are not rooted and still get the message.

15. tomhorsley

Jul 22, 2010
    I did see an app for using root access to lock and unlock the boot loader, so that might be worth a try as well. I may experiment this weekend with my old nexus 7 which I am perfectly willing to screw up and just reflash to stock if it gets too bad. Be interesting to see if merely having an unlocked boot loader makes the tivo app object.

16. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    I'm rooted and no streaming. Doesn't make sense. I can rip the shows off the TiVo to my PC and do all kinds of things with them but not a rooted phone. Idiots.

17. Nyce_1

Nyce_1 New Member

Sep 30, 2014
    streaming works perfectly on all of my android devices. just trying to help.

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    It's Samsung only, so cuts out a ton of other Android.

19. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I have no idea what you're talking about when you say a Nexus can't do stuff a carrier-locked phone can do. Plenty of carrier-specific stuff can be sideloaded if you really want their crap. The only thing I know of, offhand, is you can't run alternative payment systems like ISIS (now Softcard) because Nexus has Google Wallet (and even that can be worked around with RootCloak). Please provide examples, I have a Nexus 5 and nothing I want is missing.

You do know it's dirt-simple to unlock and root a Nexus, right? But that has nothing to do with the point of this thread, which is that rooted phones can't use the app (yet).

20. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Like what?