Can't stop my Tivo2 from recording certain programs

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pcbobsledder, Sep 2, 2007.

1. pcbobsledder

pcbobsledder New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    A few weeks ago, I woke up to see that my Tivo had recorded 5 episodes of the Simpsons and 3 episodes of the Colbert Report. Neither of which have a Season Pass. But there are dozens of To-Do recordings of these two shows. Is there any way to get rid of them without deleting 50 entries a week?

2. bpurcell

bpurcell TMBG Fan

Mar 16, 2005
    Fairfield, CA
    First, do you have TiVo Suggestions turned on? If so, that may be where they are coming from, although I wouldn't expect them in the TDL.

Second, have your checked your WishList and Season Pass list. Do the unwanted shows in TDL have a star icon or thumbs up? If it's a star, then you have a wishlist that is causing these to be recorded. You can check the Upcoming Recordings in each SP or WL to see who is causing the issue. If it's a WL, then you'll need to refine the search so that it doesn't pick up the shows.

Third, could you have another person in the house that is manually recording these shows without your knowledge? Perhaps you have a Gremlin? :D

3. Jolt

Jolt Disgruntled Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Corpus...
    Mine has been recording a religious show on sundays for a few years now. I have checked every possible thing and have yet to come up with a valid reason it is doing it . PFM if you ask me.

4. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    God only knows why! :D

5. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    If it's just a Tivo suggestion just ignore it, it'll be deleted if Tivo needs the room.

6. pcbobsledder

pcbobsledder New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Thanks for the help. What a great forum. To be honest, I wasn't expecting an answer for a few days, if at all.

I restarted my Tivo so it's going to take a few hours for the Tivo Suggestions to refresh. I'll go through there again and see what's going on.

To touch on sandlapper's comment. The reason I'm so bothered by this problem is that these two (now 3, Big Brother 8 is now being recorded) are taking over my entire list. I was out of town for the last week and when I got home hoping to watch some stuff I missed, it was full of nothing but The Simpsons and The Colbert Report. Irritating.

7. berfy

berfy New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Mobile
    Two weeks ago my Series 3 mysteriously began recording The Colbert Report as if it had a season pass for the show which it didn't. Suggestions were turned off and there were no Guru Guides or Wish Lists that could have been causing it. I had to go into my To Do list and manually delete all of the instances of The Colbert Report and then they would reappear the very next day. It was bizarre.

I tried creating a season pass for the show and then canceling it and that didn't resolve the issue. Finally I broke down and called Tivo customer support because it was so annoying and they were of no help whatsoever. Then this week, as mysteriously as it had started, it stopped doing it Thank God.

I find it highly suspicious that someone else has had the same issue with the same TV Show. Could Comedy Central be paying Tivo to do this? I'd like to think not but there are very few other explanations for this very odd behavior.

In my 7 years as a Tivo subsciber I've never seen anything like it.

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Does someone else have access to your TiVo account and setting this up on your TiVo as a joke ?? Change you TiVo account password.

9. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Funnily enough, I just had my Tivo on a Cable Music Channel, when suddenly I heard the <budup, budup> as my music turned off and it started to record.

I was surprised, because I didn't remember having anything scheduled. I looked, and it was "Joe Dirt" recording on Channel 61. Now, I don't now, never did, never will, want to record or watch Joe Dirt. So, being practical, I stopped it! :)

Then, I wondered, what else was recording that would take off my digitial music channel. Channel 33. And that was a requested record that I had forgotten.

Question One: Why did it take me off my digital musical channel to record two analog channels?

Remembering this thread, I searched to see WHY was it recording? Oddly, it was not in my ToDo list. It was not in my ToDo History list. It was not mentioned as "stopped" or "recorded."

So,
    Question Two Whiy is this weirdness happening to some of us? Is the TiVo Guy visiting and playing jokes?