Can't see Tivo in Vista

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Restorer, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Restorer

Restorer New Member

Jan 6, 2002
    NE England

Advertisements

I recently upgraded to Vista Ultimate OEM. But although my networked Tivo still works fine (I can telnet, ftp and do naughty things) I cannot see it anywhere in the Network and Sharing Centre or in the system tray.

Can any of you Vista experts help?

2. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    It's not a Windows share, so I wouldn't expect to see it appear there?

3. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Presumably you can access the Tivo and Tivoweb through your http web browser application at the IP address that you have always used though?

As a Tivo's hard drive does not run a Windows compatible operating system then Windows itself is not going to accept it as being a networked drive. You will only be able to communicate with it via telnet, ftp and http as was also the case in Windows XP.

I also can't quite think why it would actually make sense for you to pay the horrendous upgrade prices being charged by Microsoft for Windows Vista? The only cost effective way to get the product is if it comes bundled on an OEM basis with a new PC. Microsoft only charges PC manufacturers a mere fraction of what they charge end users for the various flavours of Vista. Or perhaps you have also got a new PC at the same time but neglected to mention this in your post?

4. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    If you don't mind reinstalling your software, you can buy an OEM copy of Vista, and install it as a new OS on an existing PC. You don't have to buy a new PC. The only restrictions, as with any OEM version, is that you cannot transfer it to a different motherboard once authenticated. This is certainly the cheapest option if building a Media Center PC using Vista Home Premium. And you don't even have to buy a throw-away hardware item at the same time as an OEM copy anymore.

5. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK

Advertisements

Never heard of samba ? windows compatible file-sharing for linux...
    Someone did have samba working on S1 tivos, but I can't find any links right now.

I think the OP just means that XP used to put shortcuts to frequently used ftp sites in network-places if you used explorer's ftp interface.

6. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    OK a fair point but I bet the manufacturers can buy OEM Vista licenses in bulk far, far more cheaply than I can possibly buy just one of them as an individual? The pricing of new PC hardware would appear to suggest that hardware manufacturers probably aren't paying Microsoft more than say £20 or £30 a time at most? In particular note that a new PC with Windows Vista Ultimate often seems to cost little more than a PC with the base version of Windows Vista.

Also is it worth going for using Vista before say the start of 2008 due to all the older hardware non retro compatibility issues not yet being solved?

Having said that Microsoft have just released some patches for V1 and V2 of the Dot Net Framework and also V3 of the said Dot Net Framework for XP that have made a complete and utter horlicks of failing to install properly on my XP Home machine and for which I cannot find any obvious solution at the present time. Even the Windows Install Clean Up route has not worked out this time round. And there always seems to be a nightmare issue to solve every time Microsoft provides a patch for the Dot Net Framework. Its almost like a return to Windows 3.11 days, except that XP Home does seem to manage to otherwise carry on as normal despite the Dot Net Framework now not being properly installed on my machine.

7. Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    I bought Vista 64 business edition because it handles huge amount of ram better, and was better than running XP Pro 32-bit on my AMD64.
    I don't know why you'd want to see the TiVo as a network share either though.

8. Restorer

Restorer New Member

Jan 6, 2002
    NE England
    Well wtf has it got to do with you what I spend my money on?

As it happens I had some spare cash for PC upgrade and decided to get the OEM version along with a dual core CPU and some dual channel RAM. That OK with you, ars*hole?

Seems you can't ask a simple question anymore on this forum without getting these kind of posts.

In XP Tivo appeared as a tray icon and you could check it was working OK and get to its properties and check IP addresses etc. I just wanted to know how to do this in Vista. I guess you can't.

9. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    What do you mean by a "tray icon"

My router shows the TiVos on a network map, but XP only shows it as an FTP site if I've manually addeded it.

10. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    It was only that you told us that your decision to spend the money on Windows Vista had then given you issues with some of your previous operating system functionality disappearing.

Its just that I have been using Windows since Windows 3.11 and in my experience any Microsoft attempt at offering an operating system Upgrade to a previous version Windows version always goes much less smoothly than starting from scratch on new PC or reformatting your whole hard drive and reinstalling your applications and data on the new operating system. So that hassle combined with the high cost of the single user upgrade would tend to put me off doing it personally and make me wait till I needed to get a new PC or replace a broken hard drive. However perhaps my very bad experiences with Windows Me have led me not to expect all new Microsoft operating systems to be better than their immediate predecessors, especially immediately after their launch (or indeed ever in the case of Windows Me).

I'm sorry that my comments seem to have upset you so much but I do think it would help to not then start using extremely rude expletives (asterisk or not) in response.

11. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    There's been a warning about taking threads off topic at the top of the forum for a while now.

12. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    If you're talking about this: [​IMG] its for checking the PC's ip address, not tivo.

I can't think of anything else on xp that would show you tivo's ip address, unless you had some software for your router on, or the 3rd party tivo widget maybe?

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I don't think anything in this thread qualifies as Off Topic in the accepted sense though.

14. ndunlavey

ndunlavey Just a user, really

Jun 4, 2002
    Greenwich
    Applause!

15. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I will not be posting further in this thread in view of the deliberate attempt at provocation by the previous contributor.

16. Restorer

Restorer New Member

Jan 6, 2002
    NE England
    Wow, Nick, you have the power!

Back to my question. Yes it is the connection icon I am on about. In XP I had one for the PC and one for the Tivo. It showed that the Tivo was connected and it took you to Network Connections where could change the IP address via Properties.

Just wondered why the connection doesn't show up in Vista in the same way and whether I have missed something.

17. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    UK
    lol

Ermm I am thinking you are talking about a little utility program that will link to your tivo on the taskbar??? Maybe.

Tivo never showed up as standard in XP or Vista. a 3rd party utility I think?

18. Ian_m

Ian_m Active Member

Jan 9, 2001
    Southampton,...
    No they don't get it cheaper, since the US court case was lost by MS, where you paid more for Windows licences if say you had a Netscape installed, more if you had AOL startup on desktop MS have adopted one flat price model (might be discount at 20,000 units).

I think Vista Ultimate is about £115 OEM and that price is the same if you buy one or 20,000 copies. It used to be in Windows 2000 days Windows 2000 started at £23 (I think), £32 with Netscape going to £80 if lots of stuff bundled and after court case everyone just pays £86. :mad:

It causes real problems in with us as we cannot buy Vista cheaper than our customers can thus when we say £200 for Vista Ultimate installation, they say "B*gger that I can get it for £115 myself", which they then do and then occupy our support for ages as they can't get it to work and assume as we supplied the hardware we will support the OS that they didn't buy from us !!!!

19. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    I expect dell are only paying around £30 (i.e. less than 30% single unit price), but they are ordering in millions.

Maybe microsoft doesn't count 20,000 as a "large enough" order for a discount ? :eek:

Back to the OP's question, you get one icon in task tray per network interface (i.e. one icon per network cable running into the PC)

You'd only get two if you had two network cards...

Are you sure it wasn't some 3rd party app you installed?

To change the tivo ip, you would need telnet access to the tivo (or the app would)- as tivo doesn't support auto-configuration (DHCP)

20. ericd121

ericd121 Crown Topper

Dec 12, 2002
    Milton...
    Topic of Thread - Can't see Tivo in Vista

Off Topic Posts

#3 Pete77
    "I also can't quite think why it would actually make sense for you to pay the horrendous upgrade prices being charged by Microsoft for Windows Vista?" etc.

#4 iankb
    (In response to Pete77's Off-topic Post)

"...you can buy an OEM copy of Vista...You don't have to buy a new PC."

#6 Pete77
    (Continuing the Off-Topic Conversation he started)

"...I bet the manufacturers can buy OEM Vista licenses in bulk..." etc. etc. etc.

#7 Pugwash
    (Adding to the Off-Topic Conversation Pete77 started)

"I bought Vista 64 business edition because it handles huge amount of ram better, and was better than running XP Pro 32-bit on my AMD64."

#8 Restorer
    (Measured response to Pete77's Off-topic Post in a thread Restorer started)
    "Well wtf has it got to do with you what I spend my money on?"

#10 Pete77
    (Pete goes even further Off-Topic)
    "...waffle...Windows 3.11...waffle...Microsoft...waffle...Windows Me...waffle..."

#11 TCM2007
    (Admin response to Off-Topic Posts)

#13 Pete77
    (Pete states his unique opinion in response.)

#14 ndunlavey
    (Approbation of Restorer's previous post)

#15 Pete77
    (Pete responds and withdraws.)

#18 Ian_m
    (In response to one of Pete77's Off-topic Posts)

"...Vista Ultimate is about £115 OEM..."

#20 ericd121
    (This Off-Topic Post pointing out the posts that "[qualify] as Off Topic in the accepted sense")

----------------------------------------------------
    This thread is a classic example of how Pete77 drags a thread off-topic;
    12 off-topic posts in a 20 post thread.

I want to make it clear that the only person I disapprove of in this matter is Pete77;
    everyone else is just responding to his pollution of the thread.

Anyone who is watching Big Brother will recognise Pete's tactics as being the same as Charley's:-
    Invade a conversation
    Start a Fight
    Act hurt when people you've p!ssed off react to you.

Pete77 is the Charley of TCM.