Can't rename HD TiVo online

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Fireaxe, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Fireaxe

Fireaxe TV Geek/Smoke Eater

Apr 26, 2002
    Clovis, CA
    One week ago I installed a series 2 and an HD TiVo.
    I've been unable to rename the HD Tivo on the Tivo website, but the series 2 was no problem.

Is this part of the "no tivo desktop, or home network, etc" ?

Is this a known issue?

I've also been banging my head against the wall trying to get Comcast's M-card working (also one week) sigh.

I'm dumping DirecTV and switching to cable.
    One thing that surprised me was how much better is cable's HD signal.
    Comparing identical programs switching between my DirecTV HD Tivo and the new HD Tivo the difference is stunning.

DirecTV has been cranking up the compression settings way too much.

2. tivette

tivette New Member

Nov 5, 2006
    California
    Go to Tivo's website, then to Manage my acct
    On the upper right of the page, under Related Links, click on Name Your DVRs
    From there you can Name or re-name your DVR, allow downloads, etc.

If this does not work, call Customer Support so they can walk you thru it.

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The naming of the HD TiVos has not been working, its been on this form many times, without MRV the name on your TiVo SI screen has no purpose anyways.

4. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Rumor has it a future update will resolve this issue... Perhaps when TTG hits the server in November...

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    It's a known issue.

You will not see the name until Tivo activates the features that use it, as discussed in this thread by TivoPony.

6. Tuckrat

Tuckrat Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Boston, MA
    My S3 lost its name after I added an esata drive. Been searching the forums to try to figure out how to reset it. Glad to see (sorta) that it is a known problem.

However, I disagree with the "no purpose" opinion. It might not have a purpose for MRV, but the DVR name is referenced for other functions, like when telling Unbox which DVR to download a movie to. Unbox seems to still work regardless, because I downloaded the NBC freebies after the upgrade and they found their way to my "unnamed" DVR.

Peace out!