Can't Record From 101?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jaydro, Sep 10, 2007.

1. jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I just noticed that the 101's (and the other "Freeview" channels) run of Showtime's Dexter wasn't showing up in my TDL. I went to episode info, and it shows up as a PPV with no buy option and no record option. Back when they put the announcement in Showcases I got an SP for Dexter, but now that doesn't seem to be possible. And all the other shows on 101 show up like this, too.

Just for fun I checked a PPV channel, and it will let me buy and record movies.

What's up with this?

2. Azure

Azure New Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Grafton, MA
    I experienced the same problem. I just set up a daily repeating manual recording for Dexter and Brotherhood.

3. Scott40

Scott40 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I can record anything on 101. I just tested it, then deleted the scheduled recording, as I don't watch stuff on there.

4. dcborn61

dcborn61 Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Have this same issue with Passions (recording for my wife). It moves to the 101 on 9/17, but you can't record it. Can't figure out why.

5. jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    It will let me record whatever's currently on 101, actually, though it won't if I select Season Pass and other options (or whatever). And it will default the current program to KUID and act all PPV-y on me. But nothing from the future.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Be aware that if the show is listed as a "special", you can't do a Season Pass.

7. jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Yup, aware of that. Much-o aware-o.

8. fyremaker

fyremaker New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Just like to chime in that I'm in the same boat as the others. I can't create season passes for any show on channel 101. They all come up as PPV. (My wife wants to watch Passions!)

I have an unmodified Philips DSR704 running version 6.2-01-2-301 (not connected to a landline, we don't have one).

I too have set up a repeating manual recording of channel 101 but I would like to have a Season Pass for shows.

Has anybody called D*?

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I wonder if a Wishlist would work?

10. jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    The manual recording works, but then I discovered that, of course, what was I thinking?, Dexter was edited. That's the first thing I've wanted to watch on "the 101" in forever. Until I hear about something else, I'm just deleting those four channels from my receive list.

11. cappel

cappel New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Manual recording allowed me to get the first four episodes programmed (three recorded so far), but when I try to record the rest, I get the program information screen with "This Episode Will Not Be Recorded" displayed and no options to do anything...except leave the screen. It doesn't matter how I select the episode...guide, season pass manager, search...it won't let me record this. I've never run into this before.

12. fyremaker

fyremaker New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    Well, I called D* on my lunch break to talk with tech support about my Tivo's inability to create Season Passes on channel 101.

The woman I talked to was very nice and did some reading in their internal knowledge base and found that my problem is a "known issue" and their engineers are aware of the problem and they are working at it as quickly as possible to fix it. (this lead quickly into a pitch for an R15 or the new DVR coming down the line, the "R16" (her words), which will be out "soon").

According to her all Tivo's (not sure if she meant all or just SD and not HD Tivo) are having issues with channel 101 because of what she called the "neighborhood" the channel is located in. She said that the Tivo OS is aware that the 100-199 "neighborhood" of channels are PPV but channel 101 is different.

So until D* gets a fix out I'm going to have to try my luck at using manually scheduled recordings for channel 101.

13. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    I would love to know how you are going to use a HD Tivo to record a Directv Channel program???

So She means all Tivos that are capable of recording Directv.

14. jaydro

jaydro Senior Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Durham, NC
    This is why I can't stand calling CSR's. Like, yeah, 101 is different, duh, as if this problem hasn't always existed. And no mention of how DirecTV broke things. Must be TiVo's fault. Of course. :p

15. fyremaker

fyremaker New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    I wasn't being clear enough. What I meant was that I wasn't sure if she was talking about all DirecTivo's or just Standard Definition DirecTivo's excluding High Definition DirecTivos (HR10 I believe). Stand Alone Tivo's (any, SAS1, SAS2, SAS3 including HDTivo) were not included in any part of my conversation with her.

16. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Ahh I see. Glad it has been cleared up.

I have no problems with 101, on any SD Directv/tivo or HD Directv/Tivo.

17. cappel

cappel New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Thanks for the update Fyremaker!

18. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    crap... my wife's gonna be pissed... I set up a season pass for this... well I'll have to check when I get home.
    The Passion TV move was one of the main reasons I moved over to D* (to appease the woman as well as get more digital content)

19. Synergi

Synergi New Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Directv isn't telling the truth. It's not a TiVo problem. I've tried setting a season pass with their HR20-700 reciever. Same thing.. only way to tape this show is to pull up the guide and manually setting it to record. You have to do this for every day as far as the guid goes (14 days on HR20).. really annoying.. especially if you have a week you forget..

20. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    yep... or just create the season pass for it, and then go in and view the up and coming episodes and manually flag those to record. I showed my wife what she needs to do, she has the workaround down pat now.

Very annoying though