Can't playback any recordings done after May 12

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jsquare, May 23, 2018.

1. jsquare

jsquare New Member

Dec 23, 2002

Advertisements

I just arrived from a trip and was expecting to watch some of my recent recordings but when I try to play them back nothing happens, no error codes or turning circle, just go back to the show menu/options. Recording done on May 12 and previous dates play just fine. I forced connection to TiVo and rebooted a couple of times, no luck at all. Haven't called TiVo support yet, that will be my last resort.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yeah, calling TiVo will be a waste of time. Does Info on a program yield any data? Try deleting one then recover it. Hydra or not?

3. jsquare

jsquare New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    No Hydra, I just tried deleting and recovering a show, same problem. Also tried a short live recording and it won't even delete it.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Are the file sizes right? Here's a long shot. Install the new pyTiVo Desktop from -> Easier to use pyTivo then see if it gives you any information on the programs. It's a quick install and works well to replace the TiVo Desktop program. Don't install it as a service.

5. jsquare

jsquare New Member

Dec 23, 2002

Advertisements

I have PyTivo Desktop installed and it sees the recordings and sizes but during transfer I get the following error "TS errors detected! 116 packets affected" seems like a dying hard drive.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That is sad. Good luck. There are threads to help with changing a hard drive on a Roamio. I have done it a few times.

7. jsquare

jsquare New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Thanks, all recordings now are showing the same behavior. I'm running some kickstart diagnostics on Hard Drive and file system.

Attached Files:

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It probably doesn't mean much, but what software version is your box running?

9. jsquare

jsquare New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    20.7.4-RC42-846-6-846

Just found a similar problem in another thread:
    Can't play some recorded programs

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Mikeguy likes this.
  10. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Unrelated - Apples vs Oranges. o_O

TS errors are common when transferring shows TiVo-to-PC. If the source is not H.264 (where TS 'Fast' Format File Transfers are mandatory), try PS 'Slow' Format File Transfers. Please read: Post #47 through the end of that thread.

This topic doesn't get / hasn't gotten as much attention as I think it should either because the majority of folks use PS and don't care about Closed Captions corruption, or they use TS and then VideoReDo to remove the Sync Errors. :confused:

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just checking for a pattern I've suspected:

Have you transferred shows from your PC to your TiVo box? If so, have you done so with associated show metadata files? If so, have you created those metadata files yourself or otherwise amended the data in them?

12. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    I've had a couple of threads about this exact same problem.

Can't play some recorded programs

Also

Unable to play certain shows

In my case I'm sure it had nothing to do with the hard drive. I was also getting the problem on a new Tivo.

Download one or more of the shows that don't play and see if they work on your computer. Mine did, so I know there was no problem with the recording.

My only solution was to copy everything from the Tivo to my computer, do a clear and delete everything, then copy all the shows back onto the Tivo. Unfortunately the problem has reoccurred.

I'm waiting and hoping someone will have a permanent solution.

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Sorry to say it, but, you may be patient zero as to the possible issue and solution (if there is a heaven, as to the latter).

14. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    As sorry as you are to say it, I'm even sorrier that it's true. sigh

As I mentioned in one of those original posts, I was surprised no one had reported the problem before. I was even more surprised that no one said that they had the same problem after I posted about it.

15. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I had a similar problem a year ago, but only a few shows. Look in your trash folder, their may be a duplicate their. Take it out of the trash and unplug and re-start. This worked for me, but as I said it was only a few shows, but they were in the trash and I did not delete them.

16. jsquare

jsquare New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Every single show has this problem, I ended up doing the steps described some posts above with a backup TiVo and almost finish transferring 1.6GB worth of recordings back to my original TiVo, let's see if the problem persist. I believed it has something to do with TiVo's latest updates.

17. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Probably not due to recent updates. I've been having this problem on and off for a year not. My first post about it was this one:

Unable to play certain shows

At this time I'm leaning to it being a problem somehow caused by uploading videos with added meta date from MetaGenerator and/or creating folders for uploaded videos. Since the problem takes at least 6 weeks to 2 months to show up for me the testing is taking a long time to try and isolate the cause.

Have you been uploading videos with added meta data and/or creating folders for uploaded videos?

18. jsquare

jsquare New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Yes I did, a couple months ago. But I found out that during the transfer of recordings from the TiVo with the issue to the backup TiVo, it will only allowed me to transfer them one by one on first boot and it showed in old interface GUI format, once I sorted them by group the option to copy them wouldn't work, that's why I think it's TiVo updates messing around with the Metadata format.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't think that it's the updates--this issue was happening previously. I continue thinking that it relates to the transfer of shows from PC to TiVo box, specifically when a metadata file of some type is involved (it could relate to a particular metadata file data field)--and possibly the data used to group the transferred files into a folder.

20. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    As I said above, it seems to take a 6 weeks to 2 month for the problem to show up. I've bought a new Tivo that started having the problem in that time frame. Also, after doing a clear and delete everything the problem crops up in that same time frame. I have been regularly uploading videos with added meta data into newly created folders in my Tivos.

I now have one Tivo that I am uploading any videos to. I have another one where I've been uploading with and without creating new folders. That started having problems somewhere in the 6 week to 2 month, or so, time frame. I've done a clear and delete everything since then and am now testing it by uploading videos, but without creating any folders. Now it's just wait and see.

Sounds like your problem is falling right into that time frame.