Can't open kmttg.jar

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by pyrrhicvictory, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Aug 9, 2019 #1 of 23
    pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory New Member

Aug 9, 2019
    Linux Mint 19 and kmttg noobie. Installed Java 8 ( which I can't find through file manager on Mint). Right clicked on kmttg.jar (in download folder) and set the file association to open with Java 8, gave kmtv.jar read/write. Double click kmttg.jar and nothing. Uninstalled/installed both Java 8 and kmttg, still nothing. Works on win7. I have searched with Google for solution and have tried several, again nothing. Would someone please help. Thank you.

2. Aug 9, 2019 #2 of 23
    minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
  3. Aug 9, 2019 #3 of 23
    pyrrhicvictory

Aug 9, 2019
    Thank you for your reply. In terminal; "apt-get install openjfx". Result was openjfx installed, however kmttg.jar still fails to open.
    (1) Does kmttg.jar need to be unpacked to its own folder, out of downloads?
    (2) Would there be an error message if Java 8 were 32 bit vs 64?
    I am totally out of ideas. Very frustrating.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  4. Aug 9, 2019 #4 of 23
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The Zip file needs to be unzipped...are you trying to run it directly out of the .zip file?

-KP

5. Aug 9, 2019 #5 of 23
    pyrrhicvictory

Aug 9, 2019
    No, I have unzipped kmttg into its own folder and from there click to run the jar. All attempts have failed.

6. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    On the wiki page for Linux installation, it is stated the you should run the kmttg script supplied. It's simply:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    DIRNAME=`dirname "$0"`
    java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar "$DIRNAME/kmttg.jar" $@

Navigate to the kmttg installation in a terminal session and execute that script. Maybe you'll see clues in the terminal output.

7. pyrrhicvictory

Aug 9, 2019
    minimeh, thank you for responding. I have read the instructions at the hotlink provided and can't find the script which you refer on that page. I must be missing it. Would you help me locate the script on the hotlink page you provided? Please explain what this script will do when executed.

8. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    The script is in the zip file; you should find it in whatever directory you unzipped the distribution. The script is named "kmttg".

1. #!/bin/sh
    2. DIRNAME=`dirname "$0"`
    3. java -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar "$DIRNAME/kmttg.jar" $@

The first line tells Linux to run the "/bin/sh" command to execute the script. The second line sets the environment variable "DIRNAME" to whatever directory the script was found in. The third line starts Java, tells it to prefer to use IP version 4 over the IP version 6 and use the jar file called "kmttg.jar" found in the directory located in line 2. The kmttg jar file has a default Java program to run, which program is the kmttg program you want to start.

I had very poor luck getting kmttg to run under Linux with Open Java. Instead I run Oracle Java version 8 which already includes the javafx stuff. AFAIK later versions of Java don't work.

Oracle Java 8 is no longer distributed through the usual Linux methods; you have to download it from the Oracle website.

9. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Try this:
    [​IMG]

10. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I think that if it were me, I'd have used a picture that showed the jar more clearly.

11. pyrrhicvictory

Aug 9, 2019
    Minimeh, I am about to copy and paste the script you provided into terminal. Must the script and kmttg distribution (the kmttg distrbution downloaded from softpedia) be placed into the same folder?

12. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Your best bet is to read and digest the aforementioned wiki page. It's all there.

13. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Yes, the script locates the kmttg.jar file from it's own location ($0). But I am mystified why you are creating a script when it is already present in the directory that you unpacked the zip file into. Perhaps you did not do this; in that case nothing is going to work, you must go back and unzip the distribution file.

You really, really really should listen to minimeh.

14. pyrrhicvictory

Aug 9, 2019
    1) Not my script.
    2) If the instructions on the webpage quoted are all that is needed for a linux noobe to successfully install, use, and love kmttg then obvisiously my entire post is a fraud.
    3) the webpage quoted

Attached Files:

15. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Java is installed on you're system and it should of let the system know where it and it's support files are.
    To verify Java is installed open a command prompt then type java -version if you get unknown command or something like that then Java did not install correctly.

16. pyrrhicvictory

Aug 9, 2019
    Thank you HomeUser. First rule for an aid worker do not blame the victim.

17. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Try this page to install Java 8. That's the version I have on my five linux boxes (Ubuntu 18.04.2LTS) that run kmttg... How to Install Oracle Java 8 / 9 in Ubuntu 16.04, Linux Mint 18 essentially, just run these commands in a shell

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
    sudo apt update; sudo apt install oracle-java8-installer
    javac -version [this just ensures you have Java successfully installed]
    sudo apt install oracle-java8-set-default

That runs Oracle Java 8. All you have to do to run 9 instead is
    sudo apt install oracle-java9-set-default

To actually run kmttg, I cd to the diretory and enter
    ./kmttg
    Unless you had the kmttg directory to your path, then you can skip the ./

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  18. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Oracle Java 8 can't be installed from that PPA any more. One must go to the Oracle website and download the JRE or JDK.

19. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    That's what I'm saying, that script is already present in the kmttg install directory. Because you are trying to recreate it, I conclude you have some misconceptions about Linux that are leading you astray.

The kmttg instructions for Linux presume you already understand Linux, just like the instructions for Windows assume you know Windows. Since you don't have Linux knowledge, getting kmttg to work on Linux is going to be a struggle for you. I think the hardest part for you will be getting Oracle Java 8 installed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 1:02 AM
  20. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Thanks for the info.
    Spoiling my initial suggestion 'cause it doesn't work and it a PITA to uninstall completely. Don't do what is in the spoiler tags.
    So the only way to install it now is downloading from Oracle's site? How about this page How to Install Oracle Java 11 in Ubuntu 18.04/18.10 | UbuntuHandbook which has

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linuxuprising/java
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install oracle-java11-installer-local
    sudo apt-get install oracle-java11-set-default-local

I suppose I could try it.
    [edit] Nope that doesn't work. checksum mismatch error.
    [edit2] Holy crap, it is hella complicated now. Glad I already have Java 8 on all my machines. I don't know if I can recommend kmttg any more, because Java installation is a PITA. I'm going to do it anyway.
    [edt3] Ok I managed to install Oracle Java 12. It doesn't work with kmttg, so I checked its thread. That's known. Back Java 8.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 12:16 AM