Can't Move Show Back to TiVoHD from TiVo Desktop

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by vasilemj, Jul 20, 2016.

1. vasilemj

vasilemj Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

Recorded a show on my TiVoHD from Xfinity which means it's in the new MP4 format. Wanted to transfer it to TiVo Desktop but couldn't do it directly from the TiVo HD (wouldn't download the whole file) so I had to first transfer it to the Roamio and then transfer it to the TiVo Desktop. However, if I want to move it back to the TiVoHD from the TiVo Desktop I get the attached screen which indicates that the HD format is incompatible with the TiVoHD.

That's impossible...it was originally recorded on the TiVoHD...how can it be incompatible?

Attached Files:

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I seem to recall that you can't transfer an mp4 to a TiVoHD, even though it can record them. If you want to send it back to the TiVoHD, you can use something like pyTiivo, which will convert the mp4 to an mpeg-2.

I know, stupid, but I am pretty sure that's how it works. I also have a TiVoHD and a Roamio, so looked into this when mp4 support was added to TiVoHD. It can only record them, and play back the recordings it makes, and send them to another TiVo.

3. vasilemj

vasilemj Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Bizarre. Thanks for the insight though.

4. tivoyahoo

tivoyahoo New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Were you using the fast transfers settings in Tivo Desktop when trying to download the mpeg4 recording? That should be enabled. mpeg4 need to be transferred as TS files so that's something to check.

So your TivoHD must have 11.0n, but are you certain the recording was from a h.264 channel? only some HD channels are mpeg4 and many remain as mpeg2. there is list for comcast chicago on this forum.

so you can't tivo to tivo transfer a mpeg4 to TivoHD? is that right? it will only receive an mpeg2 recording? odd if that's the case.

5. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002

Advertisements

The OP was unable to use tivo desktop to transfer a mp4 file from his PC back to his tivo HD. Take the time to read the OP, he isn't talking about tivo to tivo MRV.

11.0n won't let you transfer using transport streams (fast mode).

That means you can't use TTG to transfer mp4 files to or from a PC

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You can push (transfer initiated on the PC through the TiVo Mind Server)) an mp4 to a THD w/o transcoding, you just can't pull (transfer initiated on the TiVo) it.

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I have a Tivo HD and I have transferred mp4's back to my Tivo HD with out any problems. I originally recorded them on the Tivo. Transferred them to my PC using Tivo desktop. Then used VideoReDo to convert to mp4 and then used the Desktop to transfer them back. I've been doing this so that I can use the same file on my Tivo and on my I-pad.

8. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I thought push to tivo HD stopped working a few months ago. Is it back working?

SNJpage1 Tivodesktop is converting the file back to mpeg2 before transferring it. The OP is asking about transferring the video as mp4

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  9. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Forgot about that. I don't have a THD anymore but I can't [ush anythimg to my S2 so I guess it's still broken.