Can't get Tivo to update software

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by namechamps, Feb 26, 2009.

1. namechamps

namechamps New Member

Dec 22, 2007

Advertisements

I have had an HD Tivo for 2 years and never had a problem.

I decided to buy an HD Tivo for my mother which she will use OTA.

I figured it would be a good idea to set it up @ my house so it is just plug & play.

Bad news out of the box it is running 8.1.7c2.

It also has a ton of gray screen issues.
    sometimes channels just show geay (OTA)
    it takes about 2 sec to change channels and it shows gray between them.
    once the tivo background disapeared to be replaced by gray screens.

So I connect to TIVO network and pulls down the guide but no software update.

The status just says: Sucessful not pending reboot.

So I connect again: same thing.
    so I reboot anyways. same software version.

So I connect again: same thing.
    I pull the plug wait 30 sec, power it on - same version.

Connect once more: same thing.

What gives?
    I think the gray problems would go away if I can get the software up to date.

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    It takes four call from the initial setup to get the software, your guide data should be up to date than if the SI screen shows about two weeks of guide data (takes about 2 to 4 hours for the guide update to complete) the next call home should download the new software. Until you see pending restart don't re-boot the TiVo.

3. namechamps

namechamps New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks for the info.

Sadly it doesn't seem to work.

In was pretty sure I did 5 connections but to make sure I did this

1) Power Cycle TIVO
    2) Complete 6 "connect to TIVO Now" connections in a row.
    3) Checked Last Status: Always says "Succeeded".

Guess I will need to call Tivo support.

Anyone know if activation will cause a problem? Like TIVO won't install latest software until activated. Doesn't make sure sense. The bugs might make someone never want to activate it (return it instead).

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I just went through this with a new box. You should be able to get the version 11 update prior to activation. Something else is going on with your box.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

Give it a day or two. You'll get the latest software.

It's also possible that TiVo disabled the 11.0 download for unactivated TiVos, since there was a known bug with 11.0 running on unactivated boxes.

6. namechamps

namechamps New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I will try again tomorrow. Hold time was bad on Tivo Technical Support so I gave up.

I am giving it to my mother on Saturday hopefully it is up to date by then.

She isn't the type to deal well with updates, and versions, and errors and stuff so that is why I want it as ready out of the box as possible.

7. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Return it to the retailer as DOA. Don't confuse them with pending restart and inability to upgrade software. Just tell them about the grey screen and get a new unit.

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I just did a new TiVo and it updated to V11 than on the next call home it updated again to V11b and that fixed the SI screen re-boot problem.

9. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    This is pretty standard for all new boxes. It takes the system a little while to "learn" about the cable system it's connected to.

Strange that the box wouldn't update, though.

10. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Well, newer versions improved channel changing by about 0.5sec and eliminated the blank screens when changing digital channels. Now you just see the old channel on the screen until the new one displays, rather than a blank screen from the moment you hit ch+/-.

11. drey

drey New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Is TiVo unit active on your account? Your TiVo needs to be active in order to get the sofware update.

12. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Not true.

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I just updated a new TiVo that has no activated to V11b, no problem, and it fixed the re-boot problem of going to the system information screen.

14. namechamps

namechamps New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Update:

It finally updated.

I called Tivo support. Waited on hold for 20 minutes. Some nationwide problem w/ dialup numbers. I find it hard to believe that so many people deal w/ dialup still....

Anyways the tech has me do basic stuff and we connect to tivo service. While we are waiting he "looks up some information".

He asks has it been activated. I say not yet. He says it needs to be activated before it will pull down update.

Just as he says that the Tivo service connection completes and guess what....
    status is "awaiting reboot".

The tech sounded tired (likely from non-stop calls about wrong dialup numbers) so I didn't argue with him.

I reboot and it had flashed Tivo up to 11b.

Weird thing is I am NOT affected by the "not activated system info crash" bug in 11b. I went in and out of system info dozen times.

Anyways all is well that ends well. Guess Tivo only wanted to update on its terms.

15. namechamps

namechamps New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    One last thing.....

Tivo needs to update the boxes to later version so it puts best foot forward out of the box.

Having used Tivo so long I forgot how bad it is at 8.1.

long channel change delays.

Also the "blanking" screen to solid gray between channels (instead of just keeping old channel up until new channel is tuned) makes it even worse.

Everything seemed sluggish. Now that it is running 11 it is what I expect from Tivo. Funny how I never noticed it getting better in incremental steps but take one giant step back and it looks really bad.