Can't get Tivo Desktop 2.51 to run

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jsjames, Oct 24, 2007.

1. jsjames

jsjames Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Chicago Area

Advertisements

I get a
    Tivo Server Error
    The system cannot find the path specified

Then
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion

Any idea what this means?

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Are you using Windows Vista? If so, you need to uninstall the old version before you install Tivo Desktop 2.5.1. You may run into problems if you install 2.5.1 over a previous version.

The problem arises because Tivo Desktop 2.5.1 cannot overwrite some 2.5.0 files, and 2.5.1 won't run correctly with the files from 2.5.0.

If you've already installed 2.5.1 over 2.5.0, then you probably need to uninstall both. Follow the instructions right here to do that, then reinstall 2.5.1.

3. jsjames

jsjames Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Chicago Area
    I'm using Xp Pro.
    Would it have the same problems? I never had any earlier version besides 2.50 or 2.51 (can't remember) I installed a version about 1 month ago when I got my TiVoHD and it opened for a while. Then it just stopped working and gave me errors like the one above. I uninstalled, re-installed the 2.5.1 and still it will not open.

4. jsjames

jsjames Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Chicago Area
    Anyone have any suggestions for this issue? I would really like to test out the new features but Tivo Desktop will not start.
    When tryingthe start the service it tells me
    " Unable to begin TiVo Desktop
    The system cannot find the path specified"

5. jsjames

jsjames Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Chicago Area

Advertisements

Figured it out. Looks like it was a shortcut and or a file I had in the My Tivo Recordings folder. I removed them and it runs now.