Can't get QAM HD thru Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Dougmeister, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Member

Mar 28, 2007

Advertisements

tivo series 3 HD + Samsung 5044

inputs = antenna for OTA HD, standard cable for other channels

the OTA antenna may be unneccessary. I found that, by hooking the Comcast cable directly to the TV last night, I can get the main networks in HD over the cable. (The Samsung auto-detected all SD stations and all non-encrypted HD stations).

Yet when I run only the cable into the TiVo, and not the antenna, the HD channels are not detected. Please help. Thanks.

2. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Have you gone into the settings and then Channel to make sure the QAM channels you usually get are selected? Or you could try to manually tune to one for example 103-1 and see if it comes in.

You should be getting all QAM channels with the cable directly connected to your Tivo. If you have an antenna connected to the antenna input then you should be getting OTA HD as well. If you ever plan on getting CableCards installed, you will lose your QAM channels through Tivo. You would have to split the cable and run one into the Tivo then the other into your TV in order to watch them.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If by lose them you mean you will then have guide data for them and have a cable channel number assigned to them, I guess you are right :)

4. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    It's possible your TiVo assigned them to a different number than your TV did. Different tuners handle them differently.

5. GumboChief

GumboChief New Member

Aug 27, 2004

Advertisements

How is this done?
    I have an M-Card, and when I go into channel scan on the Tivo, it says the function is disabled.

6. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    Theres no need to scan if you have a cablecard. The cards provide a complete channel map to the Tivo allready.

7. GumboChief

GumboChief New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Deleted

8. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    You are forgetting that some of the QAM channels can be VOD channels from people in the surrounding area. They will not have a cable number assigned to them, you will lose them unless your TV has a QAM tuner and you run a separate line to it. :)

9. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Member

Mar 28, 2007
    1) Is this the same issue that I'm having?

QAM Mapping Letter Campaign (HD w/out cablecard)

Edit: the frustrating thing is that the TV can see the digital channels and view them fine when I connect the cable directly to the TV.

2) TiVo can see the digital channels, too, if I manually "Search for new channels". Then it allows me to "Add" them, but there is no guide info. Thus, I think that the problem I am seeing is the same as in #1 above. Agree?

10. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...

You will get no guide data for QAM channels.

11. dallasdoug

dallasdoug New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Sounds like it's working fine, yes, no guide for QAM, all you can do is manually record.

12. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Member

Mar 28, 2007
    even if I get a cablecard?

13. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Once you have the CableCard(s) installed you will lose all QAM channels through the Tivo. In order to still get them you would have to split the cable from the wall and run output into the Tivo and the other straight into the TV (that is if you have a QAM tuner on your TV).

14. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    A CableCard does two things: (1) it provides you a complete channel map, so TiVo knows what channel is what -- allowing it to match the right guide data to the right channel, and (2) decrypts encrypted channels.

Without a CableCard, TiVo has no idea what QAM channels are what, so it cannot provide guide data.

If you get a CableCard, all QAM channels are mapped to the appropriate numbers in the cable company's channel lineup with guide information.

15. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You will not lose the QAM channels. They will be mapped to the proper cable channel number and will now have guide data. (except for those stray neighborhood VOD channels).

16. brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Now that I reread what I put thanks for correcting me. I use to get all kinds of stray QAM VOD channels. Something must have happened because they are all gone.

17. tyrntlzrdking

tyrntlzrdking New Member

May 28, 2009
    Is this correct? Do we all agree?
    I am new to TiVo.
    Just got my box (HD) hooked up to my new HGTV.
    I have basic Comcast, and now have the cable card installed.

When I first got my new TV two weeks ago, I plugged the cable directly into the TV. For the first time I saw channels with decimal points.
    I am learning that these are called QAM channels or minor channels (I think).
    When I hooked up my TiVo HD (without card) these decimal channels were gone.
    Yesterday I got my M card installed. I now see some programs are available on higher channel numbers which I did not have before like 103, 119, 137 etc...
    I am going to assume these are the channels I saw with decimal channels I saw before with new numbers assigned to them by the TiVo?
    I dont know this for a fact. Just asking.

I guess I could disconnect my TiVo and plug the cable into the back of my TV again, and make a list of decimal channels to find out for sure if I still have them using the TiVo, but maybe someone here knows the answer?

Or do I need to split the cable like someone suggested above?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for my confusion.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You lose the QAM channels (5-1, 7-1, etc.) channels when you put cablecards in. They are 'mapped' to the channels the cable company wants to call them (e.g. 701, 705).

They're the same channels, just with different channel numbers.

Is that what you mean?

19. tyrntlzrdking

tyrntlzrdking New Member

May 28, 2009
    mattack,

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.
    I wiil now believe you and assume I have all the qam channels mapped to different number channel.

Thanks

20. BBURNES

BBURNES Member

Jun 23, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    For OTA HD channels that are multiplexed -- such as 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, etc -- where are these channels mapped?