Can't get Amazon Unbox On S3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by PopcornGuy, May 29, 2007.

1. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    This probably belongs in a different forum, but since the problem is only on my S3 and not S2, here goes:
    When the promotion for Amazon Unbox was announced I signed up and ordered a movie. I successfully downloaded it to an S2 with no problem. The S3 is a different story. I would get the message stating that it was added to my download queue but nothing would happen. I figured it had to do with the S3 being so full of KUID programs. Now I finally have space but I am still getting no downloads to the S3 - Tivocasts are working so I know this is not the problem. I do now get a message from Amazon that states:

Greetings from the Amazon Unbox Team!

Thank you for your recent order from Amazon Unbox. Please note that we were unable to download your Unbox video to your TiVo box at this time because it does not have enough available disk space.

To download your Unbox video to your TiVo box, please take the following steps:

Free up disk space on your TiVo box
    To make space, delete programs which have been recorded in the last 48 hours or which you have set to "Keep until I delete" (look for the green dot)
    To make room for a 2 hour Unbox video, you should delete at least:
    1 hour of programming recorded at TiVo's Best Quality setting
    1 1/2 hours at the "High Quality" setting
    2 hours at the "Medium Quality setting", or
    4 hours at the "Basic Quality" setting
    Restart the download of your video from Amazon Unbox's Your Media Library
    Go to Your Media Library at http://www.amazon.com/library
    Navigate to the "Downloads" tab at the top of Your Media Library; sign-in to your Amazon.com account, if necessary
    From the Downloads tab, click the "Download" button next to the Unbox video you want to download
    Select your TiVo DVR as the download destination and click the "Download" button
    Your video should begin downloading to your TiVo DVR within 15 minutes

Now my question is, if I have 30+ hours of suggestions shouldn't some automatically delete to make room for the download? After all, this is what Tivo thinks I should watch taking priority over what I know I want to watch. Even if the suggestions were all recorded within the last 48 hours it shouldn't matter. I assume the same would happen with a Tivocast but the shorter time makes it less noticable. In fact, I often see Tivocasts start to download right after a program is deleted. Shouldn't a requested order take priority over a suggestion and force some to be deleted? It seems like I should try to delete my suggestions and then immediately request the download again. Is this normal procedure when the suggestions folder is all recent within 48 hours? The dual tuner keeps the suggestions folder full and current. Not a convenient thing if true since I would likely order movies from work to have ready when I get home. I know I could turn off suggestions but I shouldn't need to to make this work! Ideas???

2. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Probably too many SUID programs in the next few days, so the UnBox would get bumped too soon.

3. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I haven't set any summer SP's yet so I am now showing 5 days of programs in the To Do List. Can a download not even bump something that is in the To Do List 5 days out?

4. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    It's more about total current SUID programs in your NP list, and what's planned to records over the next week or two.

Since you're paying for the UnBox, and you have 30 days to watch it, it probably decides that if it can't be held for at least a couple days that you can't download.

By the lack of response in your previous post, I'm assuming you have a bunch of SUID programs in your NPL, which is likely the problem. Just like if you want to record a new 2-hour show with SUID, it will give you the same message about not enough space.

5. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I followed the instructions of the email from Amazon and still no-go:

- I deleted all 7 hours from the suggestions folder; it fills up so quickly that everything was within 24 hours
    - I deleted 3.5 hours of HD quality that was marked KUID
    - simultaneously I rescheduled the download (presumably before the To Do List was reorganized to fill in the new-found space)

I believe the only thing I can do in addition to the above is to delete everything currently in the To Do List before scheduling the download. But once I do that doesn't Tivo think I don't want to record those shows at all and will never reschedule them on its own? BTW, the Unbox item is a purchase not a rental so even if Tivo deletes it I still own it and can redownload. The 30 days to download and 24 hours to watch criteria shouldn't matter.

6. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Possibilities:
    1. You're looking at the wrong TiVo. (Don't laugh - it can happen: someone who switches lifetime from an S2 to an S3 and doesn't realize that at some point the names of the S2 and S3 TiVos will unexpectedly get switched. Low probability, but it still might be the case here.)
    2. The number of shows in the ToDo list doesn't matter nearly as much as the number in the ToDo list that are KUID. You really get penalized heavily for KUID shows that aren't recorded yet. I would expect it's possible each KUID future show counts twice as much as you think it should.
    3. (Most likely). Given other reports, there is probably a bug in how space is counted for UnBox items. Other people have suddenly been able to download after they deleted other UnBox shows. I think in particular in a couple of cases it was shows from a TV series that were blocking the new download.

7. milkrun

milkrun Milk Run

Jul 2, 2004
    Menlo Park, CA
    I hate to be Debbie Downer on Amazon Unbox, but I was
    not thrilled with it.

The videos arrived in a timely manner, but after watching
    HDTV content and HD DVDs, the picture quality was not very good.

Combine non-great PQ with DRM that caused the content to
    time-out after a short period (weeks) and I was really unimpressed.

I've heard that others are coming out with higher quality downloads
    so there is hope.

Frank

8. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    To OP: I don't know what to tell you. I've used it a bunch, and it's worked every time. However I have almost nothing set as KUID, either in my NPL or my ToDo list. KUID is almost always the cuplrit for any "not enough space" issues.

To the "not thrilled" person - I agree with your stated issues (no HD, DRM limitations), and add a couple others (surround only/no DD, no anamorphic widescreen/letterbox only), but the convenience of having it dropped on my Tivo outweighs the issues. And the PQ isn't bad (on my 60" XBR1 SXRD, zoomed, native mode, it looks comparable to a DVD - although my TV is likely improving the picture some), and the surround sound is good enough for $3.

Unless someone else comes out with a download-to-Tivo model, I'll never use it. I don't watch movies or TV on my PC, I watch them on my TV. And I only use Tivo on my TV. Ergo, if it's not downloadable to Tivo, I won't be watching it.

I imagine Amazon.com/Tivo wil be adding downloadable HD content soon. The foundation seems proven now, so it's just a matter of adding the content (and setting a price- HD content will be more expensive).

9. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Back when I first tried to set this up a few months ago, I fixed the naming issue. Also canceled the Unbox and resubscribed to make sure the names reset. I can get the download to my S2, but that's the kid's Tivo. And it's too far from the home theater and popcorn popper for movie watching!

Since most of my To Do List is KUID, I will change them temporarily to "Until Space Needed" before giving up on this. Once I get the download I can change them back. They advertise as a little better than Best Quality so I'm not too worried about picture quality. Since I was using the $15 free trail, it's no big deal. But, the lack of downloading convenience is enough to not pay to use this feature again.

10. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    That should fix the problem -- we do consider the next two days in the To Do List, and my bet is your queue of KUID programs over the next two days will fill your box.

11. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    And stop doing KUID for everything. It just messes things up. If you need more space or something, go buy a hard drive. There are a couple if easy ways to upgrade space now.

12. PopcornGuy

PopcornGuy New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I take back anything bad I wrote about the Unbox service - it really is convenient! Thanks for all the suggestions TiVoStephen & AbMagFab. I changed the next 3 days of the To Do List to "Space Needed", cleared the Suggestions, reordered the download, and it started downloading within the hour.

Now, all of my SP's have been changed from "Until I Delete" to "Space Needed". This does make the downloading easier and a lot more shows up in the To Do List. Now my wife is concerned that her shows don't have a "green dot". Since everything recording is subject to deletion automatically, what is the minimum time we have to watch or save a program? If space is nearly full, could a program record at 8:00 and delete at 10:00 to record something else or are there safeguards to prevent this? A lot of programs are watched within 6 hours of when they are recorded, but if I could get by with once a day marking programs that haven't been watched as "KUID" I could live with that for the convenience of the Unbox feature.

In response to the upgrade suggestion, I'm waiting for MRV on the S3 instead of increasing storage space. 30 hours at HD or 50+ at Best is really enough for temporary storage/watch/delete purposes. (I do understand the needs of those that want to store a bunch of HD movies longer). A second S3 would give me four separate tuners and S3's in 2 rooms. There are times when 3 or 4 tuners would be nice. And if/when MRV comes about for the S3 it would be great if dual tuner conflicts would automatically generate a request to the other Tivo to record and then transfer the 3rd/4th programs automatically.

13. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Great to hear! By the way, you can leave the suggestions alone, they won't interfere with your downloads or recordings at all. Your DVR will automatically delete them if it needs to in order to make room.