Can't find TiVo Desktop app on Mac

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MVPinFLA, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Jun 8, 2015 #1 of 11
    MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida

Advertisements

I just got my first Mac. I installed the Tivo Desktop app and it showed that it was installed; but it is nowhere to be found on the hard drive. I have looked in the app folder and searched for everything Tivo; but can only find the installer package. This is rather frustrating. I should probably go to a Mac forum for the answer; but perhaps someone with a TiVo has had this issue before. Please help if you can.

2. Jun 8, 2015 #2 of 11
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There is no Tivo Desktop for the Mac unless there's been some enormous change in the world that I missed

3. Jun 8, 2015 #3 of 11
    MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
  4. Jun 8, 2015 #4 of 11
    MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    You are most correct. TiVo confirmed it to me. Thanks for your reply.

5. Jun 9, 2015 #5 of 11
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

There is. Amazingly it's even more worthless than the Windows version, and has gone even longer without an update. But it exists.

6. Jun 9, 2015 #6 of 11
    MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    With the new TiVo live, I don't need the app anymore for my MacBook. The timing of this web version coming out worked out great for me.

7. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    There is a long thread about it in the Coffee House. Here is a link to Online Tivo. http://online.tivo.com/

8. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Congratulations on your first MAC. Which model of MAC Is it?

TiVo Desktop for MAC is accessed from "System Preferences". I have TiVo Desktop installed on my 15-inch Late 2008 MacBook Pro it is currently running OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks). I have no idea if it still works under Yosemite or the upcoming El Capitan.

Hint: to access the hidden Videos tab while in System Preferences hold down the "Shift" and "Command" keys when clicking on "TiVo Desktop".

Along with many others I prefer using the much more functional PyTiVo and KMTTG if you haven't already check them out

9. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Thanks so much for your reply and info. I got the new Retina MacBook. I just love it. I now understand why people love their Macs. :).

With TiVo coming out with their new live website, I really don't need the old TiVo app. Out of curiosity I will check out PyTiVo and KMTTG, since the do seem popular.

10. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    The new website is great for streaming to a laptop/netbook in your home. It is awesome for me, because now my netbook can stream shows I've got recorded on my Roamio in any room, out on my patio, or even with the fish nibbling on my toes as I cool them in the lakem or soak them in the hottub after a mtb ride.*

kmttg lets you download programs to your computer so you can watch them when you don't have any network access. Like on a plane,

pyTivo lets your TiVo see shows you've downloaded to a server. freeing up space on your TiVo, and allowing you to access and play/transfer them back to your TiVo when you want. It also allows your serve to publish other stuff, and transcode it on the fly. So your huge library of mp4 or flv videos can be pulled seamlessly, and transcoded, to your TiVo. Some people use pyTivo to push programs from the PC to the TiVo. Weird. I did it once, just to try it. I didn't inhale.

Both are tiny and trivial to set up.

*No, that's bulsit fit only for Budweiser commercials. Not a chance in hell I can see an LCD screen out in the bright, high desert sun. Especially surrounded by bikini girls. It is the thought that counts.

11. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    Thanks for the explanations. I appreciate it.