Can't Find MyDVR Expander When Rebooting

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by aindik, Jul 11, 2011.

1. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I've used the same MyDVR Expander 500 GB since I got my TiVoHD, which was shortly after it came out. I unplugged everything in my home theater to upgrade my receiver. Plugged it all back in and now the TiVo says the expansion storage isn't connected, when it boots. Gives me the option of rebooting or pressing CLEAR to no longer use the drive.

I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this. The drive is on and plugged in. For a while the light in the middle was intermittently flashing, but now it's solid on.

If I do press CLEAR, what happens? Do I lose my recordings permanently? Or just until I can connect the drive again?

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    By pressing clear, you effectively divorce the drives and the Tivo goes back to it's state before the drives were joined. Yes you will lose shows that were recorded after the units were joined.

The first thing to do is check and double check the eSATA cable connections to the expander and the Tivo(disconnect and reconnect securely). Check to see/feel/hear if the external drive is spinning.

After checking the cable connections and checking to see if the ex drive is spinning, and the Tivo still does not recognize it, here are some things to try:

1. Test the cable on something else, or try to find another known, working cable to test if that is the problem.

2. Open the Tivo up, and check the esata/sata connection on the Tivo motherboard(main circuit board).

3. Run some kind of diagnostics(WD Lifeguard, download from WD). Try the Tivo kickstart built in diagnostics(don't know how/if this works on an unrecognized drive).

4. Call Tivo. If you do this, do so before attempting to open the Tivo.

All that said, if after checking all the cables/connections, most likely cause is the ext drive/enclosure has gone bad. Not unheard of for external Tivo drives, especially the wd Tivo expander.

If you do happen to get the ex drive working, start planning for the next time this might happen(saving shows to computer, upgrading to large single, internal drive, etc).

Good luck.

3. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Now the TiVo will only boot at all every other time. The other times it gets stuck at "Welcome! Powering Up..."

I think I hear the external drive spinning.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I had similar problems when I had a 500gb DVR expander attached to my TiVo HD and still have similar problems with the 1TB DVR expander attached to my Original Series 3 HD.

Pull the power on everything replug both ends of the eSATA cable then plug in power to the DVR Expander, then plug in power your TiVo. If you get an error unplug TiVo's power and then plug it back in again. Mine always took/take 2-3 tries to make it through boot up.

Good Luck,

5. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Thanks.

Did all that multiple times last night. No dice. Never had this problem booting before.

I ordered another eSATA cable on Amazon today. On Wednesday we'll see if that helps. In the meantime, I'll swap it out with a TiVo in a lesser used room.

6. JTYoung1

JTYoung1 Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Jacksonville...
    The 500GB expanders have had a terrible track record with reliability. I went through 2 on my Series 3 before I finally upgraded the drive instead.

7. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Update: It was the eSATA cable. Woo Hoo!

I ordered a $3 replacement cable from Amazon. Worked the first time I plugged it in.

8. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    :up: :up: