Can't find any wireless networks

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by RichO, Nov 26, 2010.

1. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004

Advertisements

Hello all!

I've been having problems with one of my series 2 TiVos for the last day.

I just moved and got new wireless internet hooked up and had no problems for a couple weeks and suddenly yesterday my main TiVo couldn't find the other one on the network and TiVo desktop could not find the main TiVo.

When I went to network settings it said the the signal strength is excellent but when I try to connect it says can't find the network or it would start to connect and fail halfway through. Now today it shows no signal at all and when I look for wireless networks it finds none. It used to find about 5 in my neighborhood. I swapped the network adapter with my other TiVo and still the same problem. The network adapter lights up as normal but TiVo isn't seeing it.

I've tried unplugging, restarting, etc. a million times with no luck.

I'm under the impression that something with the USB port in my TiVo is shot. Is there anything I'm missing here or is that where I stand?

Thanks

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try re-entering your wireless network settings, that always fixes mine when I reboot my router.

3. RichO

RichO Member

Dec 29, 2004
    I was going to try that but it couldn't detect any wireless networks at the time.

I did some experimentation and I believe it has everything to do with the location of the wireless adapter and its proximity to the gateway.

I have my main TiVo upstairs and the other one in the basement next to the wireless gateway. I moved the main TiVo downstairs right next to the other one and it worked just fine down there so I brought it back upstairs, it connected to the service and when I tried to transfer a program it lost connection again.

Right now I am experimenting with the placement of the wireless adapter and I have changed the channel of my gateway as well. The location of the main TiVo is less than 20 feet from the gateway if you were to draw a line through the floor so I don't understand why it is having problems. Often times I check the settings and it shows excellent signal strength but then suddenly loses the signal. I did have the adapter on top of the entertainment center but I have now moved it to the floor since the gateway is below.

There are no electronic/electrical devices between the gateway and the upstairs TiVo so I'm a bit puzzled. Could the duct work in the basement be deflecting the signal? In my previous home the gateway was also in the basement though and I never had a single problem :confused:

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Possibly some interference is the culprit, other networks on the same wireless channel, microwaves, cordless phones can be the cause. You can try changing the channel up or down 2 channels. Check on your computer/Tivo for wireless networks and see what other networks are around you and their channels