Can't access YouTube via my Bolt+

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by jadziedzic, Aug 31, 2020.

1. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009

Advertisements

This is odd: if I try to access YouTube via the built-in app on my Bolt+ the TiVo just sits there and is basically unresponsive; I have to power cycle the Bolt+ to get it back (TiVo button, etc., have no effect when it gets in this state). Anyone else seeing this issue?

lamurray81 and JimmyDean like this.
  2. xberk

xberk Active Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Yep. Only tried it once but same thing. I tried to access YouTube App and got a black screen. It crashed my Bolt. Had to reboot. Weird since YouTube has been the most reliable streaming app on my Bolt. I'll try it again later today ..

JimmyDean likes this.
  3. tthompson

tthompson New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    My you Tube has not worked on Tivo for couple weeks. It used to work perfect. You Tube still works through smart tv and fire stick. So not a problem with you tube

4. Sep 2, 2020 #4 of 16
    shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Contact customer support and demand an upgrade to a Edge.

lamurray81 likes this.
  5. Sep 4, 2020 #5 of 16
    tthompson

tthompson New Member

Jul 31, 2012

Advertisements

You Tube worked ok on my bolt+today after not working for weeks.

6. Sep 6, 2020 #6 of 16
    Dan Coleman

Dan Coleman New Member

Nov 9, 2019
    I do the same, but I have to put it to sleep and wake it up after rebooting for it to work.

7. Sep 6, 2020 #7 of 16
    lamurray81

lamurray81 New Member

Dec 14, 2015
    Same thing is happening to me right now, but I have a cat on my lap. I made the mistake of selecting YouTube results after a failed search. Does anyone know how to reset a Bolt from a black screen?

8. Sep 8, 2020 #8 of 16
    Sonyad

Sonyad Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Youtube worked fine for me. I have a Bolt. I don't know how that differs from a Bolt+. I'm also using the older interface if that makes a difference.

9. Sep 9, 2020 #9 of 16
    ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I have that happen - not all the time. I think all the apps, Netflix, Prime, and Youtube have caused my Bolt to reboot - again works most of the time but not all the time

10. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    Mine does that every few times, but enough that I stopped trying to use any of the apps. I have FireTV Cubes on my TV's now for streaming.

11. MTBMaster

MTBMaster Pro Amateur

Jan 18, 2013
    NorCal
    If I try to launch the Hulu, YouTube or Prime app on my main Bolt+ box (21.10.1.v8-USC-11-849), it crashes (Netflix works fine). Black screen, unresponsive; one time, just for kicks, I waited 20 minutes. Nothing. Had to power cycle. Guess TiVo devs haven’t heard of sandboxing apps? Reminds me of Mac System Software 6/7...

Launching any of those apps on my 4K TiVo Minis (hooked up to the Bolt+), however, works. Go figure.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  12. rfa5

rfa5 New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I contacted Tivo about this issue as it was happening to me and here is what they said:
    Go to APPS. ADD & MANAGE APPS
    Uncheck the app (You Tube)
    Force a connection to Tivo Service by going to SETTINGS>NETWORK SETTINGS>TIVO SERVICE CONNECTION
    Return to Add and Manage apps and put a checkmark in the box (You Tube)
    Force another connection to the Tivo Service
    Restart or Powercycle the Tivo Device and open App again

I did all the above and so far it seems to be working OK. Time will tell if this is definitely a fix!

13. mblloyd

mblloyd Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Mercer...
    Same circumstance but crashing with Prime app chosen.
    1 selected Prime
    2 screen suggested I try later
    3 immediately chose to re-try Prime
    4 screen went black and system went dead

I rebooted and noticed that the System Information had a meaningless date (19??) for the last VCM connection.

Forced an update and all is working. Could not repeat the failure.

14. johhn14

johhn14 New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Having the same problems with YouTube and Prime.

only other one I use is Netflix and that’s worked reliably so far (knock on wood). Driving me mental to the point that I’ve started reviewing exit strategies from TiVo after being pretty loyal. The economics say stick with it but the experience is frustrating!

15. rfa5

rfa5 New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Well after a day or two the problem did return, so this "fix" from Tivo didn't cut it! So frustrating!

16. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    MOCA appears to be acting up as well. I have an external fan, and the ODT is reasonable; maybe it's time to try to get a replacement (Edge?) from TiVo?