Can't Access TiVoWeb using Firefox

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by asfafa, Sep 12, 2006.

1. asfafa

asfafa Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bridgwater, UK
    Hi All

I've finally got round to networking my TiVo so that I can access it remotely (from the office, for example :) ).

I can access TiVoWeb using IE6 with no problems, but when I try using Firefox, I get the following error:

Unable to connect
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at xx.yyy.zzz.aaa:8080

I don't have any problems connecting to any other site using Firefox from the office.

At home, the home page comes up fine in Firefox.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

2. BrianHughes

BrianHughes Regurgitated user

Jan 21, 2001
    N.Ireland
    I don't know what your specific problem is but I stopped using Firefox to the Tivo as it kept pausing the current program. Not all the time just often enough to really annoy SWMBO.

IE works fine.

3. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    Firefox working fine here. Apart from the occasional pause problem. I realise that does not help you. But just to let you know Firefox does work.

4. threadkiller

threadkiller Dark side Nrth Devon

Dec 12, 2002
    again it doesn't help, but I use nothing but Firefox, & get no problems on either of my TiVo's

5. magistral

magistral New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Leeds, UK
    You are connecting to your tivo using port 8080 rather than port 80. When you are remote, are you sure you are not going through a firewall or proxy server that only allows HTTP connections on the default port 80 ??

mike

6. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Most firewalls also allow port 443 access and this is a much safer port to set up your Tivo for access on than either port 80 or port 8080 in my experience. When I am configured on port 443 my Tivo http access log only shows very occasional port scans but when it was on port 80 things were hitting it all the time including various nasties like the sasser worm. They didn't get in of course as not being a Windows machine it was totally alien to them.

7. asfafa

asfafa Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Bridgwater, UK
    I'll change the port to 443, so thanks to everyone for the security advice.

mike, surely it can't be the firewall or proxy server, since IE works? I don't see how Firefox should react differently.

I'll keep playing around with it and see what happens.

BTW, Safari on my Mac also pauses my TiVo...

paul

8. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Firefox does behave differently with quite a few apps and website developers usually have to spend considerable time if they want to ensure full site compatibility with other non IE6 web browsers like Firefox and Opera.

The fact that most sites appear the same with IE6 and Firefox is down to the fact that most major websites also consider Firefox as an important browser and so spend the time to ensure that they support it correctly.

Port 443 is probably the safest option if you want a port that you can access from anywhere at all including company PCs or any web cafe. Completely non standard port numbers like 11975 are even safer of course but most companies and web cafes will have blocked web access using these unfortunately.

You can also use one of these intermediate software firewalls like Orenosp or GotoMyPC (which prevent direct access to the fairly insecure Tivo) via an intermediate 24/7 PC but on your home network but that involves both extra cost, hassle and annual power consumption of around £40 for that 24/7 PC. But in general no one on here who has a Tivo directly on the web ever seems to have had it hacked so far providing they have at least set up a username and password.

9. mbriody

mbriody New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Northampton, UK
    I use Firefox 1.5 and 2.0b2 to access my two TiVos on non-standard ports both locally and from work without a problem.

However I use TiVoWebPlus, if that makes a difference.

10. Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    In IE6, check "Options..." on the "Tools" menu.
    On the "Connections" tab, click on "LAN Settings..."

Any custom options for proxy that companies use internally may be shown here, including routing of internet traffic.