Can't access my music

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fziegler, Jan 4, 2006.

1. fziegler

fziegler New Member

Jan 26, 2004

Advertisements

I have my tivo connected to my computer through my home network and the photos and tivo to go are working without any problems. However, when I try to play music I get this error message:

An unexpected error occured while accessing the server
    (Error # 3-43-501)

I have published the music folder using the tivo desktop. I have been able to get my music through the tivo in the past, but it has stopped working about a month or so ago.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    Put less stuff in that folder. Or watch for shortcuts in the folder that point to large areas, or to an area that includes the folder you're looking at. Ditto if it's a playlist. You can also have problems with the latest version of TiVo Desktop if you have songs with high ASCII characters in them, like much world music will have, though Galleon doesn't have that problem.

3. fziegler

fziegler New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    So, you are saying that I need to reduce the size of the list of folders in the "my music" folder? I guess that I could break this up so that there was an additional layer of folders between "my music" and the artist folder names; but to me, that sounds like a bug that tivo should be fixing. I like the current organization where it is:

my music
    -----artist a
    ---------album 1
    ---------album 2
    ----artist b
    ---------album 1
    ---------album 2
    -----artist z
    ---------album 1
    ---------album 2

I could change it to this, but I would prefer not:

my music
    -----artists a-l
    --------artist a
    -----------album 1
    -----------album 2
    --------artist b
    -----------album 1
    -----------album 2
    -----artists m-z
    --------artist m
    -----------album 1
    -----------album 2
    --------artist z
    -----------album 1
    -----------album 2

Would this file structure fix it? Of course, if I do this, I will have to update the pointers in itunes to find the mp3 files in their new locations (what a hassle!!).

Again, this seems like a tivo bug to me!!

4. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    That's only a problem if you intend to play from the top folder. Play from further down and you're fine. It only crashes if there's too many songs in the scope you're playing.