Can't access "Home Network"

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by shelbel, Sep 8, 2017.

1. shelbel

shelbel Member

Mar 11, 2004
    westchester...

Advertisements

To accommodate the idiosyncrasies of my older home, I have a main router (R1) at one end of my house and a second router (R2) which is connected via ethernet to R1, at the other end. My TiVo sits right next to R2 and is hardwired (ethernet) to it. The routers are set up right now to be separate networks, rather than one router and one repeater.

I would like to use my iPad TiVo app features, but I find that many of those features are blocked off with the warning that I am not connected to my Home Network. However, I have tried logging on to both of these networks in turn, and both have been rejected as not my Home Network. There are only two networks in the house; what am I missing here?

I know I could yank the ethernet cable and try temporarily via wifi, but would prefer to figure this out with the configuration it has already, if possible, b/c it will be hard wired during normal use and I'd like to know what it thinks is the Home Network.

The TiVo in question is a 2014-issue Roamio Plus.

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I do not touch apple-crap, so I cannot comment on that part of you situation, but multiple routers should not be an issue. But why in the world would you have them set up as separate networks???

I have three routers in my house: R1 is the unwanted but required DSL connection - that is the only router configured for DHCP to provide both dynamic and fixed IP addresses (I choose to use fixed addresses for all my video equipment). R1 wireless is disabled because I do not need it.

R2 is in the same room with R1. I use it because it also has NAS and USB storage capabilities, and I had it long before this terrible DSL service. It is the primary connection for the switches and other parts of the house, and it has dual-band wireless enabled, but DHCP disabled. One of my TiVos is connected to a switch that is directly connected to this router.

R3 is on the far side of my house, and it is configured like R2. It provides an additional wireless access point, but otherwise functions just like a stand alone switch. This router is connected by Cat-6 to a central switch, and from there to R2. I have another TiVo connected directly to R3, and everything functions perfectly as part of one single home network, including TiVo Android apps.

3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    There are several reasons why a lot of folks don't recommend using 2 separate routers/networks on a home network, but the almost univerally accepted method of doing something with your current setup is to allow the router connected to your modem as the Primary router which does the DHCP assignments and then configuring the secondary router as strictly an Access Point which uses the same SSID and encryption as the Primary but the wireless is set to use different wireless channels, for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Many brands of routers have a setting in their GUI, to simplify switching off the DHCP settings and enabling Access Point only mode, but all can be manually configured to do so, google will help you find a guide or 2 but look for something for your specific secondary router first.
    This may not solve your Apple app issue but it is generally considered good network practice but will result in one network and usually your devices will have a much easier time finding each other.

krkaufman, osu1991 and Teeps like this.
  4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yes, highly recommend setting the second router as an access point rather than a separate net. All our iphones and ipads with the tivo apps work great with the access point.

5. shelbel

shelbel Member

Mar 11, 2004
    westchester...

Advertisements

I went to the website of the router manufacturer and followed their directions for what they call a cascading network (they specify bridge as wifi vs. cascading as wired). Followed their exact steps-- no luck. Reset the router, followed them again--nada. This is why I have two separate networks. I just plugged in the router and had wifi. Now I have silence.

I will continue to try to make this work, but there is a limit to how many hours I am willing to lose.

Update several hours later: After well over an hour on the phone with Linksys tech support, got the router to work on a cascading network. The good news: the TiVo app now recognizes the Home Network and allows me to use functions such as using my iPad as a remote. The bad news: even after deleting and reinstalling the app, it still refuses to authorize either home streaming or out-of-network streaming, throwing an error message that the setup could not be completed. I officially give up, some things are not meant to be.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  6. Aaramill

Aaramill New Member

Feb 16, 2017
    I’ve also had issues with the Tivo Roamio Pro and my iPad.

On my Asus router, I have to turn off Hardware (HW) Acceleration

krkaufman likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Critical information missing from the OP is the brand and model number of the router devices you're using. Your latter post indicates you contacted Linksys, but the specific model numbers for each of your 3 routers is needed to point you to each vendor's instructions for their proper configuration, either as the primary router or for the 2 routers than need to be configured strictly as Access Points (per previous suggestions).

The need for a additional routers -- configured as Access Points -- to expand wireless coverage is not uncommon.

---
    edit: p.s. The following Linksys articles provide instructions for configuring one particular series of their products as Access Points (putting the router into what Cisco/Linksys calls "Bridge Mode"):
    And please note that "Bridge Mode" is distinct from what Cisco/Linksys consider "cascaded" routers, at least per these articles. e.g.:

Alternatively, if you want a more secured network setup and improved network performance without removing your older router’s capabilities, you may choose to cascade your second router to the main router. To know more about cascading, check the LAN to WAN configuration here.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017