cannt connect please help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jwauto, Aug 21, 2002.

1. jwauto

jwauto New Member

Aug 17, 2002

Advertisements

i have a Phillies directv tivo
    i get the can't connect error for about
    2 days now i have restarted many time
    unplugged all the line
    and still get the error
    the last call it made was an
    update for some thing like 2.00 00.1
    or some thing like that to 2.5
    some thing
    i picked up the phone and listing in and
    it dials but does not ring and then it starts the modem
    sounds is this a bad modem or bad update or what
    please help
    thanks

2. DaveLessnau

DaveLessnau Love My TiVo!

Nov 10, 2000
    USA
    These are my generic things to try for download problems (I've arranged them from least to most troublesome):

- Pull the plug on your TiVo for a few moments and plug it back in.
    - Unplug the phone line at every point from (and including) the TiVo to the wall jack. If you're using a wireless phone jack, also unplug all of them. Plug them all back in.
    - Use a new/different phone cord.
    - Plug into a different phone jack.
    - If you have a DSL line, go to Radio Shack (or whatever is handy) and pick up a DSL micro-filter for $7-$10 and place it between the TiVo and the phone jack. There have been several posts here about the ones provided by the telephone companies not working. I've seen good reports on those made by 2Wire.
    - Remove everything else from your phone line and try again. If successful, add them back one by one (that way, you'll find the culprit).
    - Plug the phone line into that little box the phone company has outside your house. Disconnect the house and either run a very long phone line from your TiVo to it, or physically drag your TiVo and a monitor out there. If it works out there, then you probably have a problem with your internal wiring.
    - In Messages & Setup -> Recorder & Phone Setup -> Phone Connection -> Change Dialing Options, set the Phone Available and the Dialtone Detection options to OFF.
    - If you have call waiting, add the Call Waiting Prefix to turn it off (usually *70).
    - If you have a DirecTiVo, add ",#034" (PAUSE ENTER 0 3 4)) to the Dial Prefix area of Change Dialing Options. That forces the modem to try to connect at a slower speed (only works with DirecTiVos).
    - If available, you can also try a different dial in number: maybe the problem's actually at the server. Here's the website for finding those numbers if you can't get an alternative via Phone Dialing Options. To manually enter a number, just put it into the Dailing Prefix area.
    - With the Phone Available Detection and the Dialtone Detection options OFF, try picking up another phone and listen in while TiVo dials out. If it doesn't sound like a clear line, then line noise is your problem. You'll have to find the source of the noise and get it fixed. If the modems don't sound like they're handshaking and connecting properly, and you've tried alternate numbers as above, then I'd say your modem is dead.
    - Go to that same Radio Shack (or whatever) and buy a wireless modem for $60-$70.
    - If your telephone company is R C N, immediately unplug your TiVo from the wall jack and do a Search on this forum for "R C N" (no spaces, I put them in so this post won't show). There are a lot of threads stating their system and TiVo are incompatible.
    - If you determine your modem is truly dead, you can either repair it or use a TurboNET/TiVoNET/AirNET card to connect via the internet. A good starting point for repairing it is http://www.9thtee.com/tivomodemrepair.htm . The *NET cards are also linked from that location (see the sidebar). If you go with internet access, make sure you do a Search across all the forums for, say, "turbonet". Some people have also gotten their old external modems to hook up to the TiVo's serial port. Do a Search for "external modem success" for more information. And, fairly recently, one person said that plugging the TiVo phone line into a phone line surge suppressor stops the TiVo from constantly grabbing the phone line.

3. quijybo15

quijybo15 New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    i'm stuck in the guided setup routine. when it does the first 1-800 call, i listened in and the operator picks up and says "this number cannot be completed as dialed, please hang up and try again". any ideas? any way to get out of guided setup? reformat drive? TIA

4. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    You can only get out of guided setup once the call has completed. Do you need to do anything special to dial 1-800 numbers with your phone? Any special prefixes? Do you need to wait a while to get a dialtone before making a call? Must you not wait too long after getting a dialtone when making a call?
    That seems extreme, and I don't see why it would help with placing a call. :)

5. monkey69

monkey69 New Member

Dec 15, 2003
    South...

Advertisements

That happened to me as well. The good news is, I was able to figure out a way around it!

I have a Toshiba SD-H400 Combination Progressive-Scan DVD Player and TiVo Digital Media Server that I bought on Amazon about 2 weeks ago. (It’s my first TIVO and my first DVD player! Yay! Haha!)

So when I first did the “Guided Setup” it wouldn’t dial in, so like yourself, I picked up the phone line with my cordless phone while it was dialing and heard the woman go “please hang up and try again" etc. Then I tried hanging up the cordless and when I picked up the line again, the line was still not hanging up (I don’t have call waiting, by the way.)

So finally I figured out that the only way to get the phone line to hang up and get dial tone again is by unplugging the TIVO phone cord from the wall. Also, I figured out that the way to get TIVO to properly dial in is unplug the TIVO phone cord, wait until it says “DIALING” on the TIVO screen (this is after “PREPARING,” etc.), then right after you see “DIALING” on the screen, plug in the phone line right then…. Then what happens I guess is that the TIVO gets the dial tone it needs at the time it’s dialing and so I was able to download not just the initial “Guided Setup” but also the daily updates that way. But I had to force the TIVO to dial in daily at my time, in order to get my updates. And each time involves plugging the TIVO phone cord into the wall at the right time.

So I hope the above helps you, quijybo15. :)

Now I need help myself from DaveLessnau and/or others…. I have tried all the suggestions that DaveLessnau kindly listed for us here, like the filter, unplugging, turning it off, routing the phone line thru the power surge proctector, turning the TIVO settings from ON to OFF… Well, all except re-doing the Guided Setup… At first I thought re-doing Guided Setup would erase all my recorded programs, then this morning I read on my TIVO manual that it would not… But, question, would it erase the programs I saved to record under my “Season’s Pass Manager”?

Also, would re-doing Guided Setup make my TIVO act nice from now on and hang up the phone whenever it’s not downloading? Hehe…

Actually, the more pressing question I wanna ask all who are kind enough to respond, is this: my options now are:

(a) return the unit to Toshiba—I’m within the 90-day warranty so Toshiba will send me a spanking new unit (I called them). I think I have to pay shipping both ways, or at least that’s what my Toshiba manual says under the warranty section…

(b) keep the unit and just keep operating it the way I have been: force the manual downloads and plug in the phone line only as it’s dialing into the TIVO servers.

Actually, there’s another thing I thought was highly peculiar about my unit… When I unplug the power cord and the phone line from the unit for over half an hour (leaving the only thing plugged in the cable signal), then, get this, without plugging in the power cord, just by plugging in the TIVO phone cord into the wall, my phone signal goes dead right away.

In other words, I test my phone line on my cordless phone, the dial tone’s there, right? Then I hang up the cordless, plug in the TIVO phone cord into the wall—the TIVO being without electricity at all—then I check my cordless for dial tone and it’s gone! No signal, no dial tone, no lady going please hang up and try again". Nada, nothing!

In effect I can’t use my phone unless TIVO’s phone cord is unplugged, regardless of whether the TIVO has power or not…

Any ideas? Would getting a new unit solve my problem? Or would the new unit just do the same, since it seems like so many are having this problem with newly purchased TIVOs? Or would re-doing Guided Setup solve it? :confused:

Thanks, y’all! And I’m glad there’s a forum like this for us to help each other out. Long live the net! ;)

6. Derek79

Derek79 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    I was just given a series 1 tivo from a friend. From the beginning I have been having the same problems you have. It can't dial unless you plug it in when it starts to dial. And when it is done downloading, it won't disconnect. Have you had any success because this is very annoying to have to do it manually everyday. Please help!!!!!!

7. Feb 3, 2004 #7 of 55
    jtobin

jtobin New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Raleigh
    Derek79,
    I'm having the same problem. But I don't know that it's the machine. It worked at my old house, it still works at my father-in-law's house, but at my house, as soon as it starts "preparing to call" it sends some signal to my phone that makes the recorded operator say "If you'd like to make a call, pls hang up." I've turned off the phone detection. I've added pauses before dialing.

Thank you for your post, though, as you've given me a way to at least get data into my machine. If anyone knows why it's doing this, please let us know. I think it may have something to do with low phone voltage, but that's a guess... :confused:

8. Feb 3, 2004 #8 of 55
    ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    Jim and Derek79, if the two of you have not yet done so, you should try going through the items in DaveLessnau's list up above.

Additionally, there were a couple of people who reported having issues with weird phone systems that allowed TiVo to successfully dial only if the line were connected just as TiVo starts to dial. However, they did not report the inability to disconnect that the two of you have reported.

9. Aug 9, 2004 #9 of 55
    jfrank100

jfrank100 New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I have a Philips HRD31202 that is about 4 1/2 years old. While I was on vacation 2 weeks ago, my nightly dial in stopped working. I am seeing exactly what the two previous people mentioned. Tivo cannot dial in unless plugged in just before it tries to dial. I also have the problem where it won't release the phone line unless I unplug it.

It seems that the problem is that the modem is picking up the line early, without dialing during the 'preparing' phase, and before it can get to dial, the line gets the annoying MRRT, MRRT, MMRT... (which on some carriers is replaced with the nice "if you'd like to make a call" message).

What I can't figure out is why after 4 1/2 years this started happening. None of the other suggestions worked. I don't have the patience (or memory) to dial in manually and fiddle with the cord.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on why this might be happening. In the meantime I may examine the broadband rout, though with a series 1 machine it may not be possible.

--John

10. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I suspect that the modem in that unit has died. Look in the underground forum for solutions.

11. jfrank100

jfrank100 New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Of course I have thought that the modem might have died, however, if you plug the phone line in just before it wants to dial as mentioned above, it dials, handshakes, downloads and hangs up perfectly fine.

I'm not sure though. Anything is possible. I'm not well versed in all of the ways modems act when they begin to die.

Does anyone have a link to a place to make a HDR 31202 series 1 use the internet? I saw the vendor provided ethernet cards, but I don't really have the extra $70 right now, and I'm pretty technical, so if there are links to articles on where to buy generic cards with instructions on how to set them up, that would be great. I checked the underground and all I found was a lot of articles on upgraded the hard drive size and getting new disk images.

12. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    Then there's the PPP over serial option.

13. Luhmann

Luhmann New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I just wanted to report that I have the same problem.

I can connect manually, but if I leave the TiVo plugged in to the phone line, my other phones don't work and the line eventually goes dead.

I suppose I will eventually need to upgrade to a series 2 TiVo, or put an ethernet card into the this one. But I don't have the time or the money to do either right now.

I tried turning off dial tone checking, but it didn't help.

14. Kr1spy

Kr1spy New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    I am having a similar problem. Mine wont connect manually or automatically. Either way i try i always get the same message "Failed-Phone Busy". I have tried all of the tips that DaveLessnau has suggested but i still can not dial outwards. I am on a Phillips HDR212. Any more suggestions?

15. Monkeyface23

Monkeyface23 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I'm sorry for all of you having trouble. I am having the same problem only difference is I've had my Tivo for 3 years and have never had this problem before. It is a Sony 2000. I get the phone busy message as well. I have tried all your suggestions already and nothings working. I've got 3 days of info left. HELP!

16. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    Similar problem to which poster? Various people have reported different symptoms in this thread.

If the line is busy, try dialing the number manually to see if the number is, in fact busy. If so, there's a problem at the POP (place modems call into), and TiVoBill or someone should be PMed to take care of it. In the meantime, you could try a different number.

17. zigmo

zigmo New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Rockaway,...
    I, too, am having connection problems.
    I have a Phillips series 1 TiVo, software version 3.0-01-1-000 and my account is in good standing.
    For the past few years, the TiVo has worked fine in this house and my previous house.
    Recently, it has been unable to make the daily call, test call or even call to get phone numbers. Whenever I try I always get the same error - "Failed - can't connect."
    I know the modem works as I've listened in on the line and heard it dial out and connect. It seems that it's not handshaking, though.
    Troubleshooting steps I've tried:
    It was originally working on a split phone line but I moved it to a new phone jack anyway - no luck.
    I restarted the recorder and reset the modem (unplug phone line, unplug TiVo, wait and re-plug in)
    I've used a different phone cord.
    I've verified both cords work by attaching a phone to them and dailed out from the jack the TiVo is plugged into.
    I've unplugged every other phone in the house and tried to call.
    I've plugged the TiVo directly into the cable modem (it's where my phone line comes into the house)
    I've set the Phone Available and the Dialtone Detection options to OFF.

I'm very frustrated as the problem simply appeared and I'd done absolutely nothing to the phone system before it happened. Any suggestions to help me restore functionality to my TiVo would be most appreciated.

18. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    Are you familiar enough with the handshaking sounds to tell if the problem is at your end or the POP's? POP's do have a modem go into a bad state now and then.

If you're not sure, try a different dial-in number to see if it's a problem with the local POP. (And maybe try a number far away since a single POP can have multiple phone numbers.)

Also, filling out your location in your account info will help to see if anyone else in your area is having problems.

19. zigmo

zigmo New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Rockaway,...
    Well, if I dial the number on my phone, I can hear the tones (from what I guess you're referring to as the POP - don't know what that stands for) so I guess the POP's modem is working - at least well enough to make a tone. Not familiar enough to know if it's a "good" tone or not.
    My first stage of troubleshooting was going to be try a different number. Unfortunately, when I enter my area code and it tries to retrieve a list of numbers, I also get the "failed - can't connect" error message.
    I got a list of alternate numbers online that I was going to try, but I can't find a place to manually enter the new dial-in number. The only place I ever remember seeing a choice is after it dials in to get a list of available numbers.
    btw, thanks for the location suggestion, too. I have filled it out. For the record, I'm in Rockway, New Jersey in Morris County.

20. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    Are you repeating guided setup? Don't repeat guided setup when a modem may not be working since you can't get out until the call goes through.

If you're not in guided setup, you can force a call to any number by entering the complete number as your custom dial prefix.