Cannot transfer from TiVo Series 2 DVR to PC

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jbrown13, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Jul 2, 2009 #1 of 11
    jbrown13

jbrown13 New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Perry, GA

Advertisements

Something on my TiVo has changed since July 1, 2009 and I now CANNOT transfer files from my TiVo to my PC. Prior to July 1 these transfers worked flawlessly. I'm guessing TiVo changed something in the software on my TiVo which is causing this problem, but I can't confirm this. I suspect this because my TiVo Now Playing list now shows my computer with a title of "Now Playing on (name of computer), whereas before it just showed the name of the computer.

In any event I can transfer video files from my PC to the TiVo, but not from the TiVo to the PC, which tells me that all my network settings, MAK, etc. are correct.

I did reboot the TiVo, PC and Router to no avail.

TiVo data shows software version as 9.3.2b-01-2-649.

I can also tell you that this occurred with TiVo Desktop version 2.6.2 (which I hadn't updated fearing bugs in 2.7), and updating to version 2.7 did not solve the problem.

I'm thinking it may have something to do my "Certificate", but I can't find any instructions by searching the forums for "renewing my certificate".

Anybody else having this problem, or anybody have a solution?

Thanx.

2. Jul 2, 2009 #2 of 11
    Rocketslc

Rocketslc Active Member

Jan 4, 2004
    SLC, Utah...
    If it is indeed a certificate issue you can download the updates at
    http://www.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TivoDesktopCertificateUpdate.zip.

However, I never had any luck with the automatic updater working. Instead I shut down Tivodesktop, and the TD server then manually copied the two .pem files that downloaded with the zip file (these are certificate.pem and privatekey.pem) into the tivo/desktop directory.
    Worked great on both my XP and Win2k machines running TivoDesktop versions 2.3a and 2.2.

I found this solution at
    http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaythread?rootPostID=10375581

3. Jul 2, 2009 #3 of 11
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you have not rebooted your TiVo recently, you may want to do so. Although not common, it is possible for the TiVo's http server process to fail, and when that happens, transfers won't work until you reboot the DVR.

If you have not done so already, be sure to try out kmttg, a great new TiVo download program authored by a TCF member.

4. Jul 3, 2009 #4 of 11
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The certificate update is only for Desktop 2.5 and earlier. Don't apply it to 2.6.2 or 2.7.

5. Jul 3, 2009 #5 of 11
    jbrown13

jbrown13 New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Perry, GA

Advertisements

I went back and installed TiVo Desktop 2.5.1 to see if that would solve my problem, but it did not. It worked for one transfer, but after that one I was back to where I was before installing 2.5.1, I can see the videos on my TiVo just fine, but when I try to transfer a second one to my PC I get an error that says "some transfers have been interrupted". When I go to the Transfer Status it says that "The TiVo DVR is busy with another transfer. This recording will begin to transfer when the DVR is available". However, I can find no evidence anywhere that the TiVo DVR is busy with another transfer, as the to do list shows no transfers. The transfer request remains in the queue and if I remove it and try another video transfer I get the same error. This has now happened on TiVo Desktop version 2.5.1, 2.6.2 and 2.7, and just started on July 2, 2009. Prior to that date everything worked fine.

6. Jul 3, 2009 #6 of 11
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The TiVo's To Do List never transfers to a computer. TiVo Desktop is the only place that you'd see the status of other transfers.

I assume you've already rebooted the TiVo, as was suggested to you yesterday. If rebooting the TiVo didn't make a difference, and you've confirmed that transfers are enabled on your account at TiVo.com....then you might try kmttg instead of TiVo Desktop.

7. Jul 3, 2009 #7 of 11
    jbrown13

jbrown13 New Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Perry, GA
    I tried kmttg and it exhibits the same problem, and gives a "server busy" error.

I get the server busy error when the transfer queue in TiVo Desktop is empty.

I rebooted the TiVo many, many times trying to find the solution to this problem. I think I might be getting close with TiVo desktop 2.5.1, but I didn't do anything different except send an
    http://<ip>/TiVoConnect?Command=ResetServer
    to the DVR. Maybe that worked, but the acid test is still being run. I'm not yet ready to declare success.

8. ti69vo

ti69vo New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Although the OP never got back to us here, I assume the lesson in all this was that tivo desktop was correctly reporting that the problem was with the DVR. I'm noticing in these forums that TivoDesktop takes alot of blame resulting in users uninstalling/reinstalling/downgrading/upgrading.

We should use the log files in these forums whenever possible to diagnose and communicate the problems. They are found in your Windows user profile directory user profile directory under \Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\Logs.

I HAD the same problem which was accompanied by the below tivotransfer.log entry for each failure.

Error DownloaderCb.cpp, DownloaderCb::error, 81 ...[time date stamp and id stuff]... Format=video/x-tivo-mpeg failed: error=4

I was surprised that searches in these forums for these errors yielded no useful results. Well I don't know what it means, but the problem was resolved with a DVR reboot. Maybe error, 81 means Tivo Desktop couldn't download the file, and error=4 shows the DVR actually communicating back an error code. Which would imply the DVR is where the problem lies.

9. Oct 7, 2009 #9 of 11
    brian083071

brian083071 New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    I have been experiencing the same problem. I have Desktop Plus and every time I try to select programs to transfer, it will hang, act like its doing nothing, then shows the desktop as not responding. I used to be able to transfer just fine until the last couple of months. Rebooted both Tivo series 2 machines and still wont work. I don't get it, what changed?

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
  11. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    My standard problem, and solution, is that when a transfer gets interrupted due to a glitchy recording on the TiVo (sometimes due to an Emergency Broadcast Message), it leaves behind incomplete info about that transfer, and all subsequent attempts to transfer anything else will first try to complete that original transfer and fail. So the incomplete info has to be removed. Here's a message that I stored in a file for my future use, but have lost all attributions for (my apologies to the authors). There are other scripts around that do much the same thing; they might be easier for you.