Cannot "Thumbs Up or Down" Suggestions?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by glen4cindy, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Apr 6, 2019 #1 of 56
    glen4cindy

glen4cindy Member

Jul 18, 2003
    St. Louis
    My Roamio has been upgraded to the "New" TiVo Experience and so far I suppose I like it OK.

One thing I am noticing that seems very different is there seems to be no ability to Thumbs Down some of the Suggestions it is recording.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember being able to do that using the original software load. I like the idea of having it record suggestions but if I can't thumbs up or down, how is it supposed to "learn" what I like and what I don't?

drdave36 likes this.
  2. Apr 8, 2019 #2 of 56
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Well, I don't know about thumbs, but I do know the new suggestions are reported to not work nearly as well as the old ones.

3. Apr 8, 2019 #3 of 56
    glen4cindy

glen4cindy Member

Jul 18, 2003
    St. Louis
    I'm finding they must be either on or off. Deleting without watching is not working because it keeps recording the same show again and again and I keep deleting it again and again.

Under the old interface, I was able to press green thumbs up to like suggestions and red thumbs down to dislike them. It was x, xx, xxx, just like for other recordings and it would taylor suggestions to those choices.

4. Apr 8, 2019 #4 of 56
    53richart

53richart New Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Acworth, GA
    I can play any recording and while it is playing give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

5. Jun 7, 2019 #5 of 56
    sharriso

sharriso New Member

May 6, 2004
    Washington...
    With this latest update, we lost thumbs up / down capabilities on all 3 of our TiVo's. We never use Suggestions, but did use it to keep track of what we'd already watched! It's now supposed to remember what you watch to choose suggestions. I turned them on and it started recording kids shows (which we don't watch), and reruns of shows got which I have a One Pass set not to record reruns. We hate this update!

Dean Johnson likes this.
  6. Dean Johnson

Dean Johnson Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Did you know in settings you cat turn on auto-skip so I like that from this update. But I agree I have also lost thumbs up and thumbs down. Can’t imagine they intended to remove that feature. I am hoping we will see a fix soon. Someone from Tivo please respond.

7. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    I am also missing thumbs on my bolt, it is recording tons of shows that I dislike but are popular.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    But is that a change just with the recent update, 21.9.1, or since you upgraded to Hydra/TE4?

9. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    I have 21.9.1 but I don't know when it installed, I found this thread when I noticed the thumbs didn't work.

Looks like it was intentional No Thumbs on Hydra??

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Right ... the Thumbs rating mechanism was yanked from the UI with the Spring Update ... but, puzzlingly, TE4/Hydra hasn’t been using the Thumbs ratings for Suggestions for quite some time (since its release, I believe). So I’d have thought you would have been displeased with recorded Suggestions prior to the Spring Update.

11. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    I think I noticed because it is rerun season and the live tuner was now often recording suggestions. After looking through what it has been recording I'm going to bump the power save setting to not record them.

hairyblue and krkaufman like this.
  12. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    This and other removals are EXACTLY bwhy I stay on TE3.
    Thumbs work just fine on it. To actually remove a key feature of their system, complete with the remote real estate is ridiculous. Whomever thought removing thumbs and thumbs for suggestion should be fired.

Thet remove reatures and HIDE the removals from their own CSRs!!!

Raeaa and Mikeguy like this.
  13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    It would be fine, and even great, if there was a good substitute in place. But 'tis not the case, and was not the case a year+ ago when TiVo unleashed Suggestions 2.0 into the wild, apparently having no idea how badly it would function or not really caring at least in the short-term. (Personally, I think that my manual input of my preferences through thumbs is one of the best tells.)

hairyblue likes this.
  14. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    That is why i stay on TE3

Barely any upgrades to break stuff
    My tivo is still a tivo
    Thumbs and suggestions work just fine
    If i want media apps i use my roku ultra

15. hairyblue

hairyblue A good Man

Feb 25, 2002
    Mobile, AL
    Wow, I turn on suggestions to get some programs recorded I may like. It started recording daytime soap operas. I tried to thrumbs down to let the system know I HATE those shows. Surprise! I can't get thumbs to work. I then noticed I can't thumbs any show now.

Doesn't this make the suggestions feature useless? Why turn it on if it's going to fill my tivo with soap operas and I can't even tell it I hate shows like that. Who thought this was a good idea? Suggestions was a great TiVo feature.

OH, and now the remote has two useless and very colorful buttons.

stevewjackson likes this.
  16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    They are white and smaller on a VOX remote and they still are used for restarts, resets.

17. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    Chant TE3 TE3 Te3

stevewjackson likes this.
  18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ... and flagging Favorites channels from the Guide (on a DVR).

19. Furmaniac

Furmaniac Active Member

Apr 3, 2018
    They are still used for WishLists ... optionals vs. negatives.

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Examples:

Also used for tagging Favorite apps.

127E6DD7-C6FB-4406-9BF2-C52C88E64DED.jpeg

(... none of which takes away from the fact that TiVo seemingly dumped a Suggestions mechanism that worked well for many.)