Cannot see DHCP, Cannot find gateway..help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by voorson, Jul 22, 2007.

1. voorson

voorson New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    South Jersey NJ
    I just moved and got comcast digital cable. Box came and ws hooked up successfully.

I have a Linksys Wireless G. I have hooked up this very router before without issues.

I walk through the setup, put in my WEP (triple check that its right)....When I put in find DHCP, it says it cant

When I put in Static IP it says it cannot find the gateway.

ironically, or probably related....my lap top has a signal but cant access the internet from this router.

What I am doing wrong?

PS: I went through the set ups on the Router page and everything is set up correctly (I think because it is as it was before when it worked)

Thanks

2. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    First make sure you are using WEP and not WPA on the router. WEP is not as secure as WPA, but Tivo doesn't support a better encryption scheme.

Second check if you're running a MAC filter (it's a list on the router that is either set to allow certain MAC addresses, or prevent those MAC's from connecting). I'd recommend using a MAC filter to allow only a certain list of MAC addresses (more secure).

Third I'd recommend getting your laptop working so you know your wireless is configured.

As a side note, I just received a Series2DT that came with a free wireless card. I was not willing to compromise my home network by switching everything to WEP (supposedly WEP is easy to hack) so I have plans of running a wired network connection to the Tivo and ditch the wireless.

3. mchips

mchips TiVo Fanatic

Feb 21, 2003
    Midwest
    Actually, TiVo does support WEP, WPA and WPA2 now, and has for over a year... I can't recall which update added it, but it's been a while now... just thought you might like to know...

I'm using WPA2/AES on my TiVos...

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Only with the TiVo-branded wireless G adapter, however.

5. voorson

voorson New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    South Jersey NJ
    I am using WEP
    No MAC Filter, its turned off

I set it up exactly as I did before, but for some reason, no go.

It has to be the router....?

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    If your laptop can't connect to the internet through the router (wirelessly), it does sound like the problem is the router.

If you connect to the router (wired), and check the status page, what IP address is it getting from Comcast?

You could try powering everything off (modem and router) and then turning them back on (modem first, waiting for it to "stabilize", then the router).

7. dvr4me

dvr4me New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Interesting. The new S2DT I received from Tivo Thursday last week didn't want to support WEP (with the included Tivo wireless G usb card). They must have sent out a unit with a version older than a year perhaps? Maybe I'll have to setup a wired connection so it can download the updates faster than via modem just to try it out. Not sure if I'm going to take the time though as the unit is going back to Tivo and I'm going to wait for the S3 lite to come out.

8. dthomaswhite

dthomaswhite New Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Can anyone tell the steps involved to setup WPA?