Cannot play .TIVO files on Windows 10

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by MaxWin100, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Feb 6, 2016 #1 of 23
    MaxWin100

MaxWin100 Member

Apr 5, 2009
    I have Windows 10.

I cannot play .TIVO transferred files.
    They open as audio only in Windows Media Player. No video.

2. Feb 7, 2016 #2 of 23
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Windows 10 does not come with an MPEG2 codec. Did your PC come with any DVD software as I can play them with PowerDVD (with TiVo Desktop installed)?

Scott

3. Feb 7, 2016 #3 of 23
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    alyssa likes this.
  4. Feb 7, 2016 #4 of 23
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I have found that Nortons thinks this file is a risk and deletes it after downloading. I sent an email to Nortons about it and they said that it is a mistake and will fix it in the next update. Til then you can use the recover button to restore the file.

5. MaxWin100

MaxWin100 Member

Apr 5, 2009
    I haven't installed 3rd party codecs in a long time. They used to cause problems with working programs and file associations.

Is this the only option?

I could play .Tivo files in Windows Media Player until I uninstalled QuickTime because it's a security risk.

6. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    You need to install software the will allow you, e.g., to play DVDs. That will install an mpeg-2 codec that WMP can access to play .Tivo files, IIRC. The link I provided above has a codec that works. Or, you can buy the one from Microsoft in the Windows Store for $15 (just search for DVD). I have no experience with the latter.

Alternatively, just decrypt the .Tivo files to make plain .mpg, and then watch with VLC.

7. MaxWin100

MaxWin100 Member

Apr 5, 2009
    HOw do I decrypt them?

8. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    i use pavtube to convert .tivo files to .mp4

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I've used tivodecode a bunch on Windows and Linux, but it only supports Program Stream format.
    tivolibre adds support for Transport Stream format, in addition to PS.

I use kmttg to transfer programs from my TiVos (HD and Roamio Plus) to my PCs (Win 10, Linux), and it comes with tivolibre built-in to decode things and can do it concurrently with the transfer. The network is the bottleneck, even with 200Mbps transfers from my Roamio Plus.

Another option to transfer and decode programs is Archivo which is simpler than kmttg if that seems daunting.

10. cwb3106

cwb3106 Member

Jan 18, 2010
    If you haven't already, you need to install TiVo Desktop. The installation includes the software bits that Windows Media Player needs to play .TiVo files. If you already have it installed, you might try uninstalling it, running the cleaner, then reinstalling it. That has fixed a broken install for me in the past. The cleaner can be downloaded from www.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TiVoDesktopCleaner.zip

There are stand-alone decryption and transcoding programs available, but I recommend KMTTG. It is a light-weight Java program that includes many useful functions, including decrypting and transcoding .TiVo files. The author provides terrific support through this forum including a very long, very active thread. Don't be put off by it's length...just search for your problem and if you don't see it, post to the end. You can download it from http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/Home/

Note, KMTTG requires Java, which you can install from java.com

As others have recommended, VLC might be a better option. It is a wonderful, open source program that will play almost any audio or video file. It includes it's own CODECs so you don't need to fiddle with those.

All of the software mentioned above is free.

11. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    The free TiVo Desktop doesn't include a DVD (mpeg-2) codec. Perhaps TiVo Desktop Plus does? I have no experience with the latter.

12. MaxWin100

MaxWin100 Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Everything in this post is wrong.

I've had Tivo Desktop installed on various computers for many years. It's currently installed on my Windows 10 computer.

I've looked at KMTTG. Very complicated and unreliable. I have no problems transferring the files. I used to have no problems playing them until uninstalling Quicktime.

VLC does not play Tivo files.

13. MaxWin100

MaxWin100 Member

Apr 5, 2009
    No one has narrowed down WHICH codec is required? Instead, we have to install every possible one in a mega codec pack?

Has someone done this on a Windows 10 computer that's also running iTunes and has other music services installed? Running a media server? Codecs can't be removed. Once they're on a system, the functionality of many media files changes.

14. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    The first is obviously subjective. As for the 2nd, I find it very reliable. I have it on 7(!) systems (5 Linux, 2 Windows 10, previously on 7 and XP). My only problem is I've never been able to get Ad Detect working in Linux.

Sorry, can't help more than I have. I don't have iTunes and my main media server is Linux. Plus, I always convert .TiVo files to .mpg or .mp4 when I pull them off my TiVo. I do have Amazon Music installed on my Win10 boxes that have the K-Lite codec pack installed, and that works fine.

I remember when I installed the mega codec pack, if you choose custom, you can choose which components to install. Here's a screenshot (I'd expand the window if possible, but it isn't). I think maybe just the DirectShow MPEG-2 LAV decoding filter? That's just a guess. Maybe also the AC3 and AAC audio decoding filters?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. MaxWin100

MaxWin100 Member

Apr 5, 2009
    I went ahead and installed K-Lite in Expert mode with minimal features. So far things seem to be working including playback of Tivo files in Windows Media Player.

16. Merrick2019

Merrick2019 New Member

Apr 8, 2019
    I just installed K-Lite and the codecs are seriously messed up. Video's now play in Windows Media Player (Windows 10) but it's just pixelated garbage and no audio. Any ideas how to fix this?

thanks...

17. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah...decode the files to .mpg or .mp4 (.ts).

Then they'll play on anything.

-KP

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Do you have the decryption filter? You need to install TiVo Desktop or pyTivo Desktop to get it.

Note: pyTivo Desktop installs the filter but it doesn't set all the registry entries needed to properly register .tivo files with WMP so it's not as seamless as when you install TiVo Desktop. My main goal with including it with pyTivo Desktop was for the files to open in VideoReDo, which they do, so I didn't put a lot of effort into fixing the stuff to make them play properly in WMP.

aaronwt likes this.
  19. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And so, then, just install TiVo Desktop for the filter and registry and then never use it (or uninstall it? or would that affect the registry entries as well?)?

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is a special option in uninstall that leaves the filter installed. That’s the best option if you want to play in WMP.

Mikeguy likes this.