Cannot get metagenerator Version 3 to install/run

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by True Colors, May 8, 2016.

1. May 8, 2016 #1 of 16
    True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006

Advertisements

I have a PC with windows 7 ultimate, 64 bit. Lots of memory, processing power, etc.

I downloaded the most current version of Metagenerator from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s3jstytjo93wtsg/MetaGenerator367.zip

I saved this to the program folder on my C drive. I unzipped it and double clicked on the Metagenerator.exe file. My computer begins the installation process but does not complete it.

I tried moving the zipped folder on my C drive, but not in the programs folder. Same problem.

What am I doing wrong? I have installed this program on other machines in the past and it always ran just fine.

Thanks,

TC

2. May 8, 2016 #2 of 16
    lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Create a folder/subdirectory in root directory. Unzip into that directory/ folder. Download the file, or move it if you already downloaded it, to your documents folder.

3. May 8, 2016 #3 of 16
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If you are using Norton for virus protection, I've had it delete it as part of it's "reputation" protection. You have to tell Norton to ignore/allow it. Definitely a pain.

Scott

4. May 8, 2016 #4 of 16
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    There is no "installation process" for MG3. You just extract the zipped files to any folder. You should not try to run it by double-clicking the .exe from within the zipped (compressed) folder.

Using a folder in the Program Files folder is not recommended. You also might try downloading the zip again in case you got a bad download, although this is extremely rare in my experience. Also right-click on the zip file and in properties "unlock" it. Frankly I don't think this should be necessary and have never understood what it's about -- but just do it in case it makes a difference.

5. May 8, 2016 #5 of 16
    True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006

Advertisements

Thanks for the tips everyone. It turns out that my problem was related to my anti-virus program(Avast).

I deleted everything related to metagenerator that was in C:\program files

I created new folder C:\metagenerator and I kept all the files there(original download and also the unzipped files)

For whatever reason, my anti-virus Avast was blocking metagenerator.

So...... I simply told avast to exclude metagenerator....... and voila. Everything works perfect now.

TC

p.s. On a side note, during the time that I was unable to figure why my system was conflicting with metagenerator, I started looking around for other potential solutions. I use kmttg quite a bit but prior to now, I had never really noticed that it has the ability to create metadata files. So I tried it out some. It works pretty well for what I am trying to do. So now I have two solutions available - metagenerator and kmttg.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  6. mlcarson

mlcarson Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Lompoc,CA
    I'm at a loss as to how MG3 is supposed to work. PytivoMetaThis is the first meta generator that I found and was easy to run and gets results. The only thing I didn't like was that it puts a series title in the "title" field which is kind of worthless without episode number or episode title since the entire series is then named the same name. I'd prefer it to just use the file name but don't relish the thought of manually changing every .txt file it generated.

This one has a MetaGenerator Version 3.3.exe which one would assume is the main program. Clicking on it brings up a nice window with 5 tabs.
    1. New TV search
    2. New Movie search
    3. Settings
    4. Delete Tab
    5. Help/about

So far I've figured out 4 and 5 which aren't much help.
    If I put in a TV program title in TV search or a Movie title in Movie search I can save that metadata into a file. I assume that it can do more than this. I see no obvious mechanism for scanning and generating metadata files like PytivoMetaThis. Is there a help file somewhere which actually explains how this program is suppose to work?

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I'm not surprised. There was no user guide when I took over development of this program in 2011. Hundreds of features have been added since then so creating a user guide would be a huge task which I will not be taking on (sorry). All the changes and new features I've added are in the change log contained in the distribution zip. MG3 can automatically scan and process multiple TV Show episodes and movies. It will do metadata-based renaming of video files and place them in metadata-based folder names. It also can embed metadata in .mp4 and .wtv files.

If you would describe a specific use case in some detail (I.e., one example of what you want to do), I or another MG3 user will help you get it going.

8. mlcarson

mlcarson Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Lompoc,CA
    I've gotten my media collection all organized thanks to Plex. Plex on the Roamio however is limited to 1280x720p. Pytivo doesn't have the same limitation so I figure why not start pointing it at the same files. I had been using Pytivo for everything before Plex. The biggest feature for me in Plex was getting the metadata from TheTVDB as a result of the new organization. I then discovered that PytivoMetaThis can get me the same thing within Pytivo but the title is showing up for a series as the series name rather than the filename so I get a list of files with the same name to choose from. This is correctable by modifying each show's generated txt file but this would be labor intensive. I'm hoping that MetaGenerator3 has the same type of features but with more flexibility regarding the title. If not, I can probably figure out how to modify the pyTivoMetaThis-0.40.py python code to do what I want.

I'd like to point MetaGenerator Version 3 at my Plex TV Shows directory structure and generate the metadata files for Pytivo but have the flexibility to get the title as either the filename or to be able to specify a format like seriesTitle + episodeNumber. Is this an appropriate use case for Metagenerator 3?

And if Metagenerator 3 can actually put the metadata in MP4 files and Pytivo can recognize it as such -- that would be awesome too.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    What is the structure of your Plex folder(s). Are all shows and episodes in a single folder? Or what? Give some example file names please.

MG3 can custom fill the 'title' item of a pyTivo .txt metadata file but only based on metadata values -- not the file name. However if your file names are already based on metadata it might still be possible.

AFAIK pyTivo will neither read nor transfer embedded .mp4 metadata -- I.e., you have to have the .txt metadata file. Perhaps the pyTiVo author or a power user will correct me on this.

10. mlcarson

mlcarson Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Lompoc,CA
    As far as I know, I'm using the Plex naming conventions. So far example:
    Plex/TV Shows/Star Trek/
    Season 01/
    Star Trek-s01e01.mp4
    Star Trek-s01e29.mp4
    Season 02/
    Star Trek-s02e01.mp4
    Star Trek-s02e26.mp4
    Season 03/
    Star Trek-s03e01.mp4
    Star Trek-s03e24.mp4

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    MG3 should be able to handle that easily with a Season- or Series auto export. I will try to give you the detailed instructions for that tomorrow.

12. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I verified MG3 can auto-process with the folder and file name examples you provided. However I'm confused about your issue with 'title'. Are you saying you want the 'title' item in the generated pyTiVo .txt metadata file to be a file name? (If so: why?).

If you have a spec for what you want the video files renamed to (based on metadata) please give some examples.

Here is an example of what MG3 puts in the .txt metadata file:

title : Star Trek
    seriesTitle : Star Trek
    episodeTitle : The Man Trap
    episodeNumber : 0001001
    originalAirDate : 1966-09-08T00:00:00Z
    description : Kirk and his crew are at deadly risk from an alien creature that feeds on the salt in a human body and can take on any form.
    isEpisode : true
    isEpisodic : true
    seriesId : SH00003985
    tvRating : TV-PG
    vSeriesGenre : Action
    vSeriesGenre : Adventure
    vSeriesGenre : Drama
    vSeriesGenre : Science-Fiction
    vPrimaryGenre : Action & Adventure
    vPrimaryGenre : Dramas
    vDirector : Daniels|Marc
    vWriter : Johnson|George Clayton
    vGuestStar : Gimpel|Sharon
    vGuestStar : True|Garrison
    vGuestStar : Anthony|Larry
    vGuestStar : Baker|Bob
    vGuestStar : Bal|Jeanne
    vGuestStar : Ryder|Alfred
    vGuestStar : Watson|Bruce
    vGuestStar : Zaslow|Michael
    vGuestStar : Howard|Vince
    vGuestStar : Pyne|Francine
    vGuestStar : Knight|William
    vActor : Nimoy|Leonard
    vActor : Shatner|William
    vActor : Kelley|DeForest
    vActor : Doohan|James
    vActor : Nichols|Nichelle
    vActor : Takei|George
    vActor : Koenig|Walter
    image : folder.jpg

I'm not aware of anyone wanting the 'title' field to be a file name. MG3 can rename the video file based on metadata if that's what you want -- and/or put it in a metadata-named folder too, created by MG3 if needed.

I can provide detailed instructions (as soon as we tie down exactly what you want -- and assuming the 'title' issue isn't a show stopper).

13. mlcarson

mlcarson Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Lompoc,CA
    The filename is already formatted by Title+Season#+Episode# so seems a reasonable entity to choose as title but "seriesTitle" + "episodeNumber" would probably work too.

In your example, if I ran MG3 on the Star Trek directories, I would have a list of files to choose from on Pytivo that all said "Star Trek" and I'd have to select each one to discover episode number or description. Tivo can sort based on file name or recording date. The files aren't from the Tivo so the recording date is not a valid sorting option. So I'm left with a random list of entries with the same name to choose from on my Pytivo share. This is stupid. Maybe if I were to transfer them all into the Tivo that things get sorted out based on the other metadata fields but that's not what I want to do. The files should only be transferred when I want to watch something and would be deleted on the Tivo afterwards.

14. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The seriesTitle item in the .txt metadata file is what is displayed on the list whether I'm pushing or pulling to my TiVo (Roamio base model). This item can be constructed to your desire as a combination of fixed text and metadata values.

For example I used this template for episodeTitle (settings tab just below center):
    s{seasonnum}e{epnum}-{eptitle}

which yields for s01e01:

s01e01-The Man Trap

And that is what is displayed for pushes or pulls.

I believe this does what you want. It's too late for me tonight but tomorrow I will provide the detailed instructions. Do you want the video files and .txt files to be located where they already are, or moved/renamed?

15. mlcarson

mlcarson Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Lompoc,CA
    The files can remain how they are. Thanks for responding.

16. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    OK, here are the instructions:

On settings tab:
    ----------------

Hit Clear button and Update Button in TV Show Template panel (assuming you don't want to rename or move the files).

In the "Metadata-based Renaming Template for EpisodeTitle", Episode Title Template enter your template and click the Update button.
    For convenience use the Meta Tag Grabber (at bottom) to insert meta tags. I gave an example of a template in an earlier post but
    you can compose it as desired.

In the Configure panel, click the Outputs button and make settings as follows.

Generate Text Metadata File when -- set to Always
    File Mover Type -- Set to VBS Script (although since you aren't moving output files this setting should not matter)

Remaining check boxes -- Uncheck all. One possible exception is "Do not overwrite existing .txt metadata files". You may want
    to check this if you are incrementally adding episodes to a series between MG3 runs. It will prevent wasting time re-processing videos
    that have already been processed. In general it should do no harm to have it checked anyway.

You can check "Embed Metadata in mp4/m4v files" but I don't think pyTivo uses the embedded metadata and this will slow things down.
    I suspect Plex doesn't use it either.
    If you do embed you may need to check "Do Fast Start". This may be needed to allow streaming on some .mp4 files. And takes additional
    time.

On TV Search Tab:
    -----------------

Do not check "Get programId for all episodes" unless you know what programId is about.

Search for Star Strek. HighLight correct show and click "Select Show" button. The Season/Episode tree on right should populate.

Assuming you want to process all seasons.
    Right click on Show name in tree ("Star Trek") and select "Set auto-match mode". For your case, select "Season/Ep Numbers ...". Click "Done"

Right click on Show name again and select "Export all seasons". In the folder browser select the "head" folder for the series (e.g., Star Trek).
    The Auto Match results page will pop up. It lists all episodes and the matching files that were identified. An incorrect or missing match
    can be corrected with the Browse button. Matches that will be processed are checked in the Process column, which you can change.
    Note the Display Filters. When things look correct click the Process button. Otherwise click Cancel.

When you click the process button, the Select Artwork Dialog pops up. Since pyTiVo doesn't use artwork, select "Do not generate artwork".
    When you click OK auto-processing begins.

When processing completes a message box summarizing results will appear.

You can also auto-process individual seasons by right-clicking on the Season in the tree.