cannot complete initial setup on Tivo Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by LarryDavidSmith, Oct 16, 2019.

1. LarryDavidSmith

LarryDavidSmith New Member

Oct 15, 2019

Advertisements

I purchased a new Tivo Mini VOX and am having trouble with the initial setup. I have a new Tivo Bolt OTA that is working very well with my antenna. It is attached to router with Ethernet. I am trying to setup the Tivo Mini with Ethernet to the same router.

I get into an endless loop between two screens in the setup process. No error code. I have spent 5 hours on phone with Tivo and they have sent me two replacement Minis over the last month. All have had similar results. Tivo finally told me that it has to be router or ISP.

I spent an hour with COX and was told that they do not block any ports and I have no blocked IP addresses. I have Netgear R4600 router with no security blocks. I can see both the OTA and Mini from my router admin software. They have IP addresses appear to be working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on why I cannot complete the initial setup for my Minis? I have posted a similar question with Netgear community but no responses.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Is there an error code?

Have you forced the TiVo to make a few Service Connections?

-KP

3. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Connect via coax and enable MOCA and try that to bypass the router.\

FYI, you have to enable MOCA on the bolt first.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I thought the Bolt OTA, like the Roamio OTA, doesn't have built-in MoCA?

krkaufman likes this.
  5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

I would buy a new router from Amazon. If it fails you have eliminated one item and then return the router. The R4600 is a bit old. I'm using an R8300. I don't know if the R4600 has a factory reset.

Also see: Mini can no longer find a network

6. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    Sorry, I did not know that.

JoeKustra likes this.
  7. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    When you log into the router does both devices get assigned an IP?

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No problem. Nobody's perfect [although some members think they are]. :)

9. LarryDavidSmith

LarryDavidSmith New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Thanks to all who have responded. Here are some comments back:

- There is no error code. I cannot get far enough to initiate service connections.
    - I started this project with a Moca connection. Tivo Bolt OTA does not have Moca capability so I purchased a Tivo Moca adapter and connected it to router and cable the way that support suggested. Did not work. Support suggested that I go to Ethernet connection so I purchased a 50 foot cat5 cable. o_O
    - when I login to my router, both the OTA and Mini have valid IP addresses and appear to be working fine.

I think it still comes down to my ISP and router. I am going to travel to my vacation home this weekend and will take my Mini and a bran new Tivo Bolt OTA with me. I will try to setup Mini on different router and ISP, and report back my findings. BTW, I have also activated my 2nd Tivo Bolt OTA at my primary residence and the Mini could not connect with it either. If it all works at my vacation home, I think it is time for a new router as one responder suggested.

thanks,
    Larry

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's a good test. There is a factory reset on the rear panel. On older models, I disable QoS also. It's buggy.