Cannot change to radio channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Duncan, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Nov 1, 2002

Advertisements

We just had a Sky engineer in to fix a problem with some channels missing. He replaced the box, so we now have an Amstrad Sky+ box instead of a Thompson.

After he'd left we found that the Tivo could't change TV channels reliably until we changed the IR settings from fast to medium. Then we noticed that we couldn't select radio channels at all. We can select radio channels directly on the Sky+ box, but when the Tivo changes to a radio channel we never see the leading 0 being sent. e.g. change to radio 4 0104 always ends up on Channel 4 104.

Any ideas what we can do? My guess would be that the Amstrad is taking too long to respond to the Sky key and missing the first 0 in the channel, but that's only a guess.

2. tonywalk

tonywalk New Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Broadbottom,...
    Having had a variety of Sky and Sky+ boxes, the only codes that have worked reliably have been "slow". I also use the remote codeset that sends the "Sky" button before the channel number - downstairs is shut for the night so I can't tell you which number codeset that is right now.

I am presuming your old Thomson box was quite happy with the 4 digit radio channel numbers.

3. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    The fast codes worked reliably for the old Thompson box. The problem with the new box isn't the speed though: even the slow code doesn't work at all for selecting radio channels. It selects a channel reliably, but the leading zero is missed not just sometimes but every single time.

I suspect the box just needs an abnormally long pause after the sky key before the leading zero. Is it possible to customise that delay? I can telnet in to the box, but I don't know where to find instructions on hacking channel change codes.

4. tonywalk

tonywalk New Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Broadbottom,...
    You could eliminate the "Sky" button being the problem by using the codeset without the "Sky" button in it.

Are you using codeset 20017? This is the codeset with the "Sky" button that I use with my Sky+ box.

Have you checked whether the Tivo is set to send a leading zero for the "Radio channels" device. Lives within "Messages & setup" then "Recorder & phone setup" then "Set top box control".

As an aside, what's the piccie quality like on the Amstrad compared to the Thomson - not seen a Thomson standard def. (I've got their hi-def) but assume it was at least reasonable. When the modem packed up on my Panny, Sky offered me a free Grundig. Engineer installed it, I took one look and told him to take it away. Pic quality was appalling. Spent my own hard-earned on a Pace.

5. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Nov 1, 2002

Advertisements

I don't think there is a codeset without the Sky button. The Sky Radio codesets are 20057 (for Sky) and 20058 for Sky+. We're using 20017 medium for TV (which works), and 20058 slow for radio (which changes channel ok, just not to the radio channels).

The point is that it was all working with the Thompson box and the Tivo box wasn't even restarted when the box was switched. Unless changing the TV code from fast to medium somehow confused the Tivo over how to change the radio channels I can't think of any reason why the Tivo would have stopped sending the leading 0.

Anyway the Amstrad box started showing sound problems so we had the engineer back this week to switch the box again. Of course the sound wasn't playing up when he came, but we'd recorded the problem on the Tivo so he could hear it! Unfortunately he only had Amstrads, so we're on our second Amstrad and it still shows exactly the same issues with changing channels (but fortunately not yet any problems with the sound).

Picture quality is ok on both: of course we've got a 12 year old CRT TV so I can't say how either would look on a better set. We're thinking of upgrading the TV sometime soon, so at that point we might decide that either or both of the Tivo and Sky+ aren't up to scratch.