Cancelling Tivo Service-Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kturcotte, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1 of 11
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I'm going back to Directv. I'm SICK of TA and cable card issues (It's nothing to do with Tivo, it's Time Warner issues). Directv can't install until the 7th though, and Tivo is going to bill me on the 5th. When I cancel Tivo service, what am I going to be able to do with the Premiere (Trying to see if I can get by till Directv installs)? I know I can't record anything, but I can play back programs that have already been recorded? Or will I pretty much have a non DVR HD cable box once I turn service off?

2. Feb 3, 2012 #2 of 11
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes. You will be able to access any programs already recorded, but when the Tivo gets notice that its service has been cancelled, (I've read) you won't be able to use the trick play functions (FF, REW, PAUSE, etc.) while watching those recordings.

3. Feb 3, 2012 #3 of 11
    jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Congrats! Enjoy the best service out there.

4. Feb 3, 2012 #4 of 11
    JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    But he isn't switching to Fios...

5. Feb 3, 2012 #5 of 11
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Remove the ethernet cord and it will record fine until the 7th.

6. Feb 3, 2012 #6 of 11
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I WISH FIOS was available here! I'd have them and the Premiere Elite and be a happy customer!

7. Feb 4, 2012 #7 of 11
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    TiVo's still sell very well on Ebay. Perhaps you can get something for your boxes to ease the pain.

8. Feb 4, 2012 #8 of 11
    StringFellow

StringFellow New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    I would suggest you keep TW until you make sure DirecTV is what you expect.

Enjoy the ad embedded guide, horrible remote, buggy DVRs, rain/snow fade, 24 month commitment, non-reliable multi room streaming, no HDUI on thir Home Media Center DVR, large early terminations fees..I could go on but you get my point.

TiVo has its issues, but I just wanted to make the point that DirecTV isn't the perfect service they make it out to be. They do a lot to get you into the 24 month commitment and then you are just one of the masses.

Make sure you are 100% happy before you sign the papers the installer give you! Once you sign, you are in their contract.

Good luck.

9. Feb 4, 2012 #9 of 11
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Aren't the satellite companies required by law to have a buyer-remorse trial period similar to TiVo's 30-days? If DirecTV is as bad as you say, he may be ready to come back to the TiVo by then. And I agree that it would be prudent to try DirecTV before canceling TW.

10. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    There's nothing national. The ability to have second thoughts and back out of a contract depends on state and local laws. Most places the period is no more than a few days and I seriously doubt that DirecTV is going to let you out without a fight.

Sign for the install and you're committed for two years whether you like the service you get or not.

11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Exactly.;) Then again, some folks just aren't lucky enough to have it available. When FIOS was offered to me I couldn't sign up for it fast enough. I not only had the opportunity to get better HD than what DirecTV was offering at the time (pre-mpeg4 sat deployment) but I was also able to dump Comcrap as my overpriced ISP. I hear DirecTV HD has improved quite a bit over the old mpeg2 overcompressed offerings, but I'm still happier with FIOS, especially now that I can record both OTA and digital cable on my HTPC.:D

That only applies to Tivos with lifetime. If you don't have lifetime attached to it then you'll almost be giving it away for next to nothing.