Cancelling service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by esoteric, Dec 27, 2005.

1. esoteric

esoteric New Member

Sep 28, 2004

Advertisements

Does anyone know a quick way without waiting over an hour as I have been doing currently? Or is this just a lost cause?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The only way to cancle service is over the phone.

Dan

3. jimmymac

jimmymac New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    My experience was having to deal with a rep getting really rude and abrupt with me yesterday after about an hour wait on the phone when I called to cancel.

I bet they are getting swamped with calls by people setting up Christmas Tivos so it might be best to wait a few days.

I really don't understand why they don't give customer's the option to cancel online.

4. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    A lot of companies make you call - they want the opportunity to talk you out of it. It also cuts down on 'impulse cancels' - someone getting frustrated and up and cancelling in the heat of the moment.

A number of people probably call to cancel because of some perceived problem, and it is something that can be fixed, so they keep the service. TiVo has also been known to do things like drop a $12.95 subscription to $6.95 to keep a customer who calls to cancel.

Basically it gives the company the chance to make things right by the customer and keep them if possible.

And yeah, this is their busiest time of year, so if it can wait - then I strongly suggest waiting.

5. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005

Advertisements

Much as I love Tivo (I have 5 monthly accounts and can't relate to why you would even consider canceling), as a consumer I insist on control of these monthly services that I gave authorization to deduct funds from my credit card. If I wish to cancel such service, I do not require a vendor's permission. Here is what I do with such services to maintain my leverage:

My credit card company offers a program called shopsafe. It is a program that generates a unique credit card number that only can be used with a single vendor. You can set any expiration date you want, and allocate however much funds you want to it. I give this CC# to such services. When I elect to disconnect, I send them email and defund/ cancel the CC #.

No sweat.

6. jimmymac

jimmymac New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Justin, have you ever had a problem with a company trying to collect for service if you pull the plug on the unique credit card number? I can see companies causing problems with something like this because they will claim you didn't call to cancel the service. I wonder how Tivo would respond if you did this a few months in on a year-long contract.

7. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    I haven't had a problem, but the ones I did this with said I could cancel anytime and I was merely exercising that right. I never did anything slimey like try and cancel on a one year comittment.

My policy is to use the vendor's process where possible, but if I run into BS, I just write such providers an email with all my account details and inform them I am terminating service and request that they no longer make charges on my account. They also have a correct land address for me, so if I messed up- so they can send snail mail.

The way BestBuy did the one year comittment is require me to buy a one year gift subscription. But if Tivo has some thing were they don't require the money up front, I am sure Tivo would be able to get the money via complaint to my credit card company, and I would have my shopsafe privileges terminated.

I don't think it is a mechanism for screwing companies out of money you comitted to paying them. I do think it is a mechanism to bypass onerous termination procedures.

8. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    AOL CSRs had a MANDATE to keep 50% of the people calling to cancel from cancelling.

They would do anything (include hanging up or lying about actually canceling) to keep their numbers up to satisfy management.

Wonder how much pressure is applied to TiVo CSRs? (I know not anywhere near AOL, but some pressure must be applied)

9. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    MA, USA
    I called to cancel service on a Tivo a few weeks ago and the Tivo rep convinced me to stay by giving me two free months of service. She even said they would credit $25.90 to my credit card, which would then be taken back $12.95 a month for two months (I was only paying $6.95 a month so it was a really good deal). I accepted her offer, knowing full well that she was full of crap. Of course, the credit never appeared. I called again to cancel and the second rep completed the cancellation while I was on the phone. She didn't even try to talk me out of it.

10. audiocrawford

audiocrawford New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Ain't this the truth...

I hate AOL, period (that sad day in 1995 when the ruined the Internet...), but a few months ago I went on an extended trip to multiple locales and it was the only dial-up service provider I could find that covered all ares. I only needed it for one month, and at the end of that month I called to cancel. I literally...not kidding...had to yell at the rep to cancel. She just wouldn't do it. Kept offering me deals, or telling me about some stupid proprietary feature that I needed like I needed a new hole in my behind. I finally had to raise my voice and say (after about 12 minutes of this BS, non stop), "Listen to me very carefully, I am calling right now to cancel this service, and if you do not cancel this service immediately and confirm that I will no longer be charged I will inform my bank of fraud. Your name is XXX, correct?""

I worked as a phone rep for a living, I know how tough it is, and it takes a LOT to get me to be rude to someone on the phone like that. I understand about doing your job, but there are some things I won't do on a job, and attempt to defraud customers is one of them. That's really what AOL boils down to. Did you know you can't even find out information about cancelling online, let alone do it? If you type "cancel" into AOL keywords you can't even find a number to call, it just takes you to a place to "explore" AOL features. I had to get the phone # off my credit card bill.

Bad, bad, bad policies at AOL. They realize their service is outdated and unnecessary, and do anything possible to stop the hemmorage. I am ashamed I even gave them one month's subscription fees, and next time I just will go without Internet, or find an alternative method when doing an extended trip.

Sorry to change the subject like that, but those smack-heads really boil my blood.

AC