Cancelling Directv - Remove HD from R10

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jeff92k7, Jan 20, 2006.

1. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    I have cancelled DTV and gone to locals only basic cable. I bought a new series 2 Tivo to use with my cable since I am aware that the R10 is worthless without DTV. I have set up the home media stuff and can copy files between my series 2 and my computer easily enough.

I was wanting to take the 80GB hard drive out of the R10 and put it in my computer as archive/storage space for the programs that I copy from the Tivo. I do not forsee myself going back to DTV anytime soon so I am not worried about rendering the R10 unusable by wiping the hard drive.

Is there anything special that I need to do to make the hard drive usable in my computer? I would think that I could just plug it in and repartition and reformat it and be good to go. However, I tried doing this with an old hard drive out of our old UltimateTV receiver (may it rest in peace) and couldn't get the hard drive to work.

Jeff

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    nope
    just fdisk it to remove the linux partitions and create windows friendly ones then format.

3. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    I wouldn't bother. An 80Gb drive is too small these days. I'd put the R10 up on Ebay and get at least $50-75 for it, which is enough to buy a 160Gb drive on sale from BB ($69.99 this week).

4. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Yeah, some people are really hankering for the DTivos now that they're no longer being actively marketed. Maybe wait six months and then see what the market will bear.

As for the drive, it's just a normal IDE drive. Consider putting it in an external USB enclosure. Lots of utility there.

5. jeff92k7

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    I had thought about doing that but when I checked, new R10's were going for between $50 and $75 and used ones were going for less than $40. I would do better to buy one of the used ones myself and take the hard drive out of it and add a second 80GB hard drive to my computer to make 160GB total tivo storage. Heck, my whole computer is running on a single 60GB drive right now that isn't even half full. That's including all my games.

Besides, even with just the single 80GB hard drive, it would take about 80 hours to copy enough shows to fill it up. I don't plan on copying that many shows. Just giving my new Tivo a little bit of breathing room by moving a few shows here and there to the computer.

[head_scratch] However, I am having trouble understanding how my R10 with 80GB drive could hold up to 70 hours of recorded shows at broadcast quality but best quality on the series 2 standalone takes 3 times the space. [/head_scratch]

Jeff

6. milliepuppy

milliepuppy New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Santa...

.. the recorded prorgam stream is already compressed, its the native stream .. much more efficent than the recompress a standalone does !!

7. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Like he said. Directv compresses/encodes their signal with high-end expensive equipment at the satellite uplink facility.

This $$$$ equipment does a much better job than the $10 chip in a standalone tivo.

Your DTivo records the raw already-compressed data from the satellite.

8. jeff92k7

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Well that certainly makes sense. My Honda will get me to work and back just fine but a $200,000 Ferrari would be much nicer and faster.

Jeff

9. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    On the Autoban maybe... not in normal city trafic...

10. jeff92k7

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    Well, in traffic probably not much faster, but it would still beat my Accord.