Canceling Tivo Subscription?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Hcour, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007

Advertisements

With my new nVidia Shield I find myself using my Tivo (OTA) less and less. If I cancel my monthly Tivo subscription I know I'll no longer have guide data, but would I still be able to setup manual repeat recordings at certain times? Thankye.

2. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Ok, googled a bit. Most say no manual recordings but one guy said he unplugged it for six months and when he plugged it back in he could do manual recordings. So I wonder if it was rebooting that did it.

3. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    My Tivo experiment.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If you had paid lifetime in the beginning, it would be "free" and thus the only cost to keep it even for occasional use would be the electricity it uses.

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010

Advertisements

The thing is, all your recorded content will not have any metadata and all those recordings will have the same title. It soon becomes a useless mess. The only truly practical use a disconnected/unsubscribed TiVo has is for viewing the content still on your TiVo's or re-purposing it as a DVR for shooting video like some coaches use to record practices or games, etc., but not as a DVR for a lot of TV content, that ranges form not possible to far too much trouble for a busy person who has other things to do with their life.

Van Dyke likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Manual recordings are sorted and displayed by Channel, DOW, Date and Start Time.

7. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Yes, all very useful information o_O. But that info is not Metadata.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  8. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I've not been in this situation, but I've heard if you play CSR roulette saying you want to cancel, ask for retention, etc. (or use the special retention phone # if it still exists), you'll eventually be offered a pretty good deal on a lifetime.

The important thing on CSR roulette is to recognize a failed attempt very quickly and get out gracefully and politely ("You've given me some things to think about, thank you so much for your help") without getting any notes on your account that may prejudice your case with the next CSR.

EDIT: sorry for the formatting, not sure what happened.