Canceling Tivo - Service Refund?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by snfsma, Aug 21, 2011.

1. snfsma

snfsma New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    We just dropped Comcast and signed up for DirectTv so I'm probably going to sell the Premiere box I bought 9 months ago. My annual contract is paid up until next February, I'm just wondering if I will get a refund by canceling my service or if that paid service can be transferred to whoever buys the box? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    The questions are covered in your service agreement. I recall the answer to the refund, no, but my memory regarding the transfer of service is not as clear. I believe the answer is yes to the transfer but if it is no, have the new owner do nothing but use it until the contract runs out, then register it it his name which would effectively change a no answer to a yes answer.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, when you cancel you may be charged with a termination fee and the loss of the remaining months, i think.

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    A refund from Tivo? ROTFLMAO (Sorry, I just had to do it.) If you signed up for a 1-year agreement then you're expected to pay for the full 12 months. If you terminate service before the agreement is fully satisfied, you are not only liable for the remainder of the balance owed but you will probably have to pay an early termination fee as well. However, if you paid for the full year in advance then you will most likely simply forfeit what you've already paid to Tivo. They got their money up front so there's a chance you wont have to pay the early termination fee.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You can't charge someone for the remainder of the contract and an early termination fee. If you make the remaining payments, then you didn't terminate. I'm not sure it's even possible to terminate service in these circumstances. How would you actually do it?

Keeping the TiVo on the seller's account is a truly viable option for the buyer only if that will be the sole TiVo they have for the remaining period of the contract. No MRV. Also, it would have to be removed from the seller's account before it could added to the buyer's account.

6. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You still need to cancel the Tivo service or else Tivo will start billing you for service every month when your contract expires. You'll probably have to follow up with Tivo in February to make sure your service is cancelled. If you live in a large metropolitan area, you might want to list the Premiere for sale on Craig's List to recoup some of your costs.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you've paid in advance, and are not obligated to make any payments after that advance payment runs out, maybe you can sweet talk a TiVo CSR into letting you sell the unit to someone and transfer the remainder of the prepaid to their account instead of making them pretend to be you in a different house.

Getting any money back from TiVo? Not happening.

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Since he got it 9 months ago, he needs to follow up in November or December.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The purchase date of a Tivo isn't necessarily the same as the activation date.

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    (slapping myself) Oh, yeah, he did say it was paid up until February. I'll just go sit here quietly in the corner for a while.:eek: