Canceling service

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kturcotte, Jan 29, 2016.

1. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Question about canceling service on my Roamio Base model. Obviously I won't get any new guide data and nothing will record, but will I still be able to watch what's already recorded?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes. Content on the hard drive can still be played.

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You will also be able to watch live TV with a 30 minute buffer, I believe.

4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    You can watch live TV, but I don't think you get the buffer.

5. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Interesting, I did not know.

6. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    I also do believe that you should be able to record via manual recording on all tuners. I do not see why not, the cable card will obviously still work.

I do not think that in and out of network streaming will work. All that is controlled thru Tivo servers. It is a CRIME that after spending so much money on the hardware and the service (for those that did not get lifetime service, LIKE ME) would get screwed in this manner. One day if I get pissed off enough or if Comcast ever comes out with a decent DVR :)rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:), then I might find out.

7. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm pretty sure that you can't record anything at all without active service. All you can do is watch live TV and previously recorded content.

8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT

You are correct, no recording, no guide data, no updates in the ch lineup changes from your cable co. Some software versions do support the buffer, some don't, unless you have an non active TiVo one can't tell you about that.

9. samccfl99

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    If you are disconnected from the internet, like you can be now by pulling the lan cable and/or disconnecting Moca if you have it, then why would it not be able to record? They have no control over the box if it is not connected to them. Recording is a local function of the box, is it not (probably one of the ONLY)? As I may have said, you paid for the hardware, they should have absolutely no control over local functions.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    This is nothing new to actually record & save that recording a TiVo has had to have active service for ever. What has varied is if you still had access to the buffer and therefor pause & rewind functions. It is very simple if your box doesn't call in after a certain period of time the software defaults to assuming there is no active service and auto disables various functions.

You are correct about the hardware you bought it and can do anything you want with it. The software is the key, like all software it has a licensing agreement.

11. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Wouldn't he better off with a much older series 2 for just live tv?

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

12. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    That would probably work if I completely disconnected it from the internet before cancelling, but only until guide data ran out, which is about 10 days.

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo (except some series 1 units) have a built in time out, I know that a TiVo with active lifetime service left off (no AC power) for 30 or more days, will boot up as having no service, after the first call home the service will be restored. The same is true for cable card in your TiVo, when you first boot up (after 30 days) you will not get your full ch. lineup, you have to call your cable co to give your card a hit or in a few days the card will get hit by the cable system and start fully working. I know this as I had a lifetime cable card TiVo in a guest room unplugged until I had a guest coming, I would then plug in the TiVo, force a call home, than call Comcast to give my card a hit. Now I use a Mini, no problem anymore. (my example is valid for Comcast in the Hartford CT area, other cable systems may be different in how the cable card works)

14. samccfl99

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Even if there is no guide data, you should be able to do a manual recording. As for the cable card, Comcast should always be able to hit it since Tivo has no control over that and I know of course that if you reboot and you are not connected, that the card works fine. I never lost my channel lineup and there really should be no reason for that to happen unless maybe it is unplugged for a long time like you say. Of course then I would not have On Demand (not a disaster) or Out of Network Streaming (big disaster) or Updates...:rolleyes:. I wonder if my Mini would work if service was deactivated? Now that might not work. I would not be able to test that because I use Moca and to disconnect from the internet I would have to go back to Ethernet and then my mini would definitely not work (no Lan cable in bedroom). I actually wonder what other services might not work if there is a software timer in the box after X number of days with no connection made?

The only reason I am commenting on any of this is because I do not have Lifetime. Never thought it would be worth it or have the tivo long enough. I had a big fight with Tivo because they were giving away the farm to everyone with this $99 lifetime deal and I gave them plenty in equipment and service. Already paid for the Lifetime + as far as I am concerned. They did something really bad to me, which I will not elaborate about here because some who do not particularly like some of the things I say would get great pleasure out of it (except for some who put me on Ignore, stupid childish thing that it might be). Oh hell, they actually threatened to cut off my service for a crazy reason and admitted they never did that to anyone. This from Executive Customer Support, whom I use to have a very good relationship with one of them, until she left. They said they do not even need a reason and I looked it up and they are right. They can do anything they want. I had to bite my lip, and those that know I speak from brain to keyboard/mouth, know that was not easy AT ALL for me to do. So maybe you might think that is a reason to hate them. I love my Tivo, but I hate their software engineers and if there was a better DVR around, I would tell them to take a hike, but there is no better DVR/service than them as far as I am concerned...FOR NOW...:mad::D

So those that have me on Ignore have lost out on a laugh, as sad as that might sound.

THIS TOOK A LONG TIME TO WRITE AND GET RIGHT. NITE. THE END...;):D

15. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The TiVo auto time out will bite you no matter what you think or do if you have no service, TiVo is not sold without the expectation of you purchasing service, TiVo never said the hardware would function without service, after some 30 days your TiVo will not record anything or will a Mini work with that TiVo, this is the way it is after some Series 1 TiVos.

16. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    ThANKS FOR YOUR DELIGHTFUL POST! IT CERTAINLY BRIGHTENED MY DAY!

17. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    Agree. You own the hardware, they own the software that makes it work. Even a lifetime account does not own the software, only that they will have access to it for the lifetime of the device barring you doing something that gets your service terminated.
    Why should they spend hundreds of thousands - Millions - of dollars to program and update the software to then give it away and let you use the device with no subscription? That is literally their whole service, where they make the money.

18. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Some people do think that it not legal to disable functions on hardware you own via their software, as any TiVo could function without guide data if the software let it, but TiVo does not sell the hardware that way or for that purpose. A TiVo DVR must have service or it's almost a door stop. TiVo tried a $0 upfront cost program to own a TiVo, I don't know how well that worked out.

19. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I don't think it's a question of disabling hardware functions via the software so much as they aren't enabled in the first place unless the software does so, and one is only licensed to use the software if one has a subscription to the service, and that license is only in effect if a subscription is.

20. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you start with service, than cancel the service the software does disable most TiVo functions, I think that what the OP was talking about.