cancel cable ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by gren25, Aug 19, 2011.

1. gren25

gren25 New Member

Jun 1, 2010
    if I do cancel cable twc carolina don't they have to still give me some channels and not the quam ones. Seems like this is an FCC rule or something

2. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    If you don't have an active cable account I don't see how you are entitled to anything from the cable provider. Want to install an antenna and see what you can pluck from the air for free, go for it.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Um, no it isn't. There may be a lower cost "lifeline" cable service available but there is no requirement to provide any level of FREE service.

4. gren25

gren25 New Member

Jun 1, 2010
    thanks thought I read that somewhere that they would have to provide locals other than over the air

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    That is what "lifeline" refers to usually very cheap something like $10/mo.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    They may have to provide them but that doesn't mean that they have to do it or free.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I think you're remembering 2 or 3 different things and mingling them together.

Are you getting internet and/or phone service from TWC as well?

8. gren25

gren25 New Member

Jun 1, 2010
    just cable and internet

9. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I have lifeline service at $10+/month from Comcast. This is locals but includes the HD locals. What I think the OP is referring to is just this, which is also referred to as the "must carry" rules.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that on these lifeline levels of service, anything that is available OTA must be carried along the line to consumers subscribing to the lifeline service.

While not free, it is a great value. And any cable provider that says there is no package whereby the HD locals are included without subscribing to higher level service is blowing smoke up your a$$.

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Even the "must carry" rule has been modified. It is at the discretion of the local broadcaster whether or not a cable operator "must carry" its signal. They can require the cable company to pay them.

It was never "must provide for free to anyone who has physical access to the cable".

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It was only the broadcasters who ever got anything for free.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's been true for many years.

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes, I know. I remember when it happened. Some cable providers were threatening to drop the locals that wanted to be paid. I think there even a few cases were a local was actually dropped briefly when they couldn't come to an agreement over charges.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It could have been worse. The original written by the NAB lobbyists version was called "must carry-must pay".

That's right. If you could pick it up over the air (analog days), the cable company had to carry it, had to carry it on the same frequency/channel number (to protect channel identity--they don't promote themselves as WXCV, they call themselves channel 95[made up example, UHF used to end at 80]) unless the cable subscribers were so close to the station's transmitter that the over the air signal would get into the cable strongly enough, no matter how good the installation, that the picture would be unacceptably ghosted, and, for the privilege of serving as a super antenna that provided the stations with greater audience size and geographical saturation than they would have otherwise (meaning they could charge more for ads), the cable companies had to pay the stations.

Which would have meant that if you wanted to watch a channel that used the public airwaves, but wanted to subcontract out your antenna service, you would have had to pay the cable company extra so that they could pass the money along to the station that was already making more money on ads because the cable company made you part of their audience.

So the next time there's a cable versus broadcaster fight, and you want to know which one is the bad guy that wants to screw you out of as much money as possible, the answer is yes.

15. harrinpj

harrinpj Member

Oct 29, 2004
    A while back I reduced my cable subscription to "the minimum I needed in order to keep a cable card with HD channels" and the cable company told me that I still needed some sort of extended package which included channels like FX and AMC.

Am I to take some of the replies to this thread to mean that my cable company may have lied to me?

16. dstoffa

dstoffa Member

Dec 14, 2005
    New York, NY
    I have Time Warner Cable in Sullivan County, NY (Catskills). Your mileage may vary. Check your cable company's website for all their packages. Their cheapest package should be "Basic" but that is a misnomer. "Basic" normally refers to "Standard" service, they $50 or so per month package of common cable channels.

I have "Basic Cable". It is $17 per month, and includes analog feeds of my local stations (90+ miles away..) from NYC. In this package, they also throw in QVC, HSN, ESPN (yes, ESPN), FX, VH1 ( VH1 by error I believe), and some public access / community BB stuff. They installed a low-pass filter on the pole drop, which effectively blocks everything above 230 MHz (Super Band Channel 25). I get 24 crystal clear (FX), and a snowy 25 (Comedy Central - unwatchable, no sound)....

That being said, when I examine the channel lineup for the package I subscribe to, there are additional channels that I should be able to receive, but do not, because they are digital QAM channels. (Namely the digital subchannels for my broadcast locals). Silicondust dot com slash support slash channels reveals that there are no clear QAM HD versions of my locals available. All the QAM channels sent are 'up the street' above their analog tier / feeds, and being at UltraBand Channel 82 (570 MHz). Therefore, even though I have a clear QAM tuner, I cannot tune these clear QAM channels because the Low-Pass Filter is doing its job, and blocking them, in a sense because I would be able to receive the "standard" analog feeds of channels I do not subscribe to.

This is what you will need to do. It may not be easy, but it should work.

You will need to figure out what the "Broadcast Basic" package entitles you to on your system. If it doesn't entitle you to your HD locals, then you are SOL.

If it does entitle you to HD locals, then you will have to call for service ticket. Inform them you are paying for channels you cannot receive, and you want it corrected. They will need to install / remove a suite of filters on your drop so that you only receive what you actually pay for.

In the end, they may require you to rent equipment.

Good luck.

Cheers!
    -Doug