Canadian Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by just_a_canadian_, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Feb 1, 2006 #1 of 17
    just_a_canadian_

just_a_canadian_ New Member

Jan 16, 2006

Advertisements

okay, I have read that for canadians you need an american address on your credit card for tivo.

Now I was just wondering do I need that second address just for my monthly subscription? OR when I am filling out my monthly subscription info online can I use my canadian address?

I already have the tivo, I just need to activate my subscription, and I dont have an american address on my card.

2. Feb 1, 2006 #2 of 17
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    http://www.tivo.com/1.6.1.asp

Is the TiVo service available in Canada?

The TiVo Service is now available in Canada. Canadian residents will be given special instruction to follow when activating service. Please look for the link "Instructions for Canadian residents," under step 1 during the activation process.

TiVo does not sell boxes in Canada, so Canadian residents must purchase boxes in the US and import them. If the DVR becomes defective, TiVo will not ship a warranty replacement box into Canada, and will only ship to a US address.

3. Feb 1, 2006 #3 of 17
    Topher5000

Topher5000 Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Do stand-alone boxes in Canada need to be plugged into a phone line for the epg? Do some models get the guide from the provider (Bell) & others from the phone? I'm thinking of getting one, but the phone's on another wall seperated by a hallway.

4. Feb 2, 2006 #4 of 17
    megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Phone or network, just like in the US.

5. Feb 2, 2006 #5 of 17
    lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada

Advertisements

And you do NOT need to have a American address on your credit card.

6. Feb 2, 2006 #6 of 17
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You don't need a US address on your CC, a Canadian one will do.

You can connect with either a broadband network connection, or phone (there are some POPs in Canada that TiVo has contracted).

You kinda enter your Canadain address into a US address, which is specifed when you activate.

7. Feb 3, 2006 #7 of 17
    just_a_canadian_

just_a_canadian_ New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks!! thats excellent! I have the tivo on the way already from a friend in the US, and I have a wireless network in my home, so I got a compatible adaptor too. I cant wait to get my tivo!

thanks again!

8. Maverick214

Maverick214 New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I bought a Tivo on Ebay about 4 months ago, can't live without it now. I don't know why Tivo does not sell it here.

Tivo even had a local dial-up number, but now I have it hooked up by network. Sign-up works fine, following their instructions on the Tivo website.

Anyone in Canada thinking about signing up for Tivo, stop reading this forum now!! GO BUY ONE!!!

PS: Tivo keeps you warm on a cold winters night. :)

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    TiVo is suppoesd to begin officially selling hardware in Canada mid-year.

TigerDirect's Canadian outlets and online store sells the 40 Hr Humax DVD recorder.

10. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    I think there may have been a licensing issue which is now (obviously) cleared up.

I think you can even get DirecTV in Canada now you guys have discovered electricity! ;) :D

11. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Not sure where you heard that, but I don't believe we've made any announcement or commitment for selling boxes directly in Canada.

I can confirm that a U.S. address for your credit card is NOT required, as several posters above stated.

Best,
    Stephen

P.S. I vacationed in Montreal once, and thought it was a beautiful city with a lot of attractions. But that's the only Candian city I've visited so far.

12. lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Stephen:

One of us Canadians was told that when they called the 800 number about something or other. The majority of us folks in the frozen tundra take CSR statements with a huge grain of salt (actually a salt block) until an announcement is made.

J

13. Diddle

Diddle New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Actually, I tried to buy a Tivo online last night and you DO need a US credit-card address.

First, the zip-code box doesn't like 6 characters (for a postal code) and second, you can't select a province.

I just had a friend down-south buy it for me and I PayPal'd him. ;)

14. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Diddle, my comments applied to service activation only. As has been stated in several places, purchasing hardware does not work for Canadian users at this time since our store does not accept Canadian addresses or credit cards.

15. Diddle

Diddle New Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Ah, sorry Stephen - zoned on that. ;)

16. lajohn27

Dec 29, 2003
    Canada
    Diddle:

If you are choosing to purchase a TIVO from TIVO.com and have it shipped to a U.S. address for pickup - it can be done.

In this case, you simply call your credit card company and have them add the U.S. address to the card account.

Then you can order things from TIVO.com and have them shipped to that U.S. address with your Canadian credit card.

J

17. jadeonly

jadeonly New Member

Apr 6, 2006
    I've been using a Tivo in Calgary, Alberta on Shaw basic cable since December 2005. It works great. My Tivo account is setup with my regular Canadian address. It's a Series 2 I bought online from WeaKnees that they had upgraded to 90 hours. I did not have to do any US address trickery other than entering a zip code when I first started up the unit so it could complete setup and download the update which then allowed a postal code for listings.