Can you view your "To Do" list via the web?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by peteypete, Jan 19, 2006.

1. peteypete

peteypete New Member

Feb 2, 2004

Advertisements

Is it possible to view your tivo's "to do list" via the web or via tivo central on tivo.com?

2. thezoo

thezoo New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    No. I don't think you can.

--Bill

3. arctanstevo

arctanstevo bla

Mar 27, 2003
    S.F Bay Area
    With TivoWeb on a hacked unit you can

4. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Unfortunately no, this isn't possible at this time. (Except with a hacked box, but that's a different issue.)

5. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...

Advertisements

Or maybe using a slingbox?

Cant you access the NPL via a browser from your internal network? could you see that externally if you DMZ'd it or port forwarded?

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes. But he wants to view the To Do List, not the Now Playing List. :)

Dan

7. peteypete

peteypete New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Right,

I want to see the to do list, not the now playing. I know how to do the now playing. I'd be nice to see the to do list when you schedule online.

It would be even cooler if it showed you your own "personalized" tv schedule grid showing what will be recorded. Couldn't be too hard to implement, but maybe they don't want to open up connections to the tivo that much.

8. rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    My point was that if the NPL was there why not the TDL.

9. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    TiVo could do all this cool stuff online but they havn't because of their privacy policy. They don't hold anything that knows what your TiVo is recording, just anonymous data. So they don't know what season passes you have set up, they don't know your To Do list, and they don't know your Now Playing list either because nothing ties your account to your TiVo box. That's not to say they can't change the privacy policy, but for the time being this is how it is.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They designed the NPL web interface as a test bed for TiVoToGo before the TiVo Desktop software was complete. They left it behind because it was kind of neat and there was no real reason to remove it. Adding a web interface for TDL, while possible, serves no real function other then as a geek feature. And there is no reason to waste development dollars on a feature that only a very small percentage of your customers will even know exists, let alone actually use.

Dan

11. settsu

settsu New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Then the same applies to Online Scheduling, which I find immensely convenient for those impulse recordings you hear about while away. Or, as in my case, "Honey, did you remember to set the TiVo to record 'such-and-such'?" (In my blessed case it was the Winter X-Games last time. My wife rocks!)

It would seem they could just as easily set it up so you could at least request your To Do List for a selectable date or time frame.

It would work as a stand alone feature and you could make a more informed decision for a potential Online Scheduling request.

12. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

what TiVo has done is hold identifying info about your system adn what Guide data you get in one "database"
    and anything about shows or to do or so forth in a totally separate "database" so they know that no identifying info on shows a specific TiVo or account wathces can ever be obtained or hacked into or stolen. It just does not exist as a capability of the system. This ensures privacy.

so the direction TiVo is taking on this is to develop HME hooks to let HME use the to do list and scheduling of shows etc.. That way you yourself decide to run an HME app for this functionality adn it also lets 3rd party apps do all the exception work of using it this way or that way. No idea on when that will come out though, would be nice to hear an update on this one - many people have asked about it frequently.

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    First off, NPL was never intended to be an "over the internet" feature, in fact your TOS essentially prohibits making it available on the internet.

Second, the TCO mechanism is pull based, in that the TiVo pulls record requests from TiVo's website., so its current state, your NPL cannot be available, plus Tivo doesn't want to risk your privacy having it floating out on the web.