Can you use one OTA antenna with 2 Tivo HDs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1 of 12
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I currently have an original OLED S3 HD tivo (w/ lifetime). Its hooked up with Comcast cable and 2 M-Cards. All works good. I'm looking to possibly get a TiVo Premiere.

I see that Best Buy is running a special where you can get a Premiere and a ClearStream 2 Long-Range HDTV Outdoor Antenna for $99. I'm thinking of possibly getting this since I might consider going with just an antenna in the future.

The S3 is currently in my living room. This new Premiere would most likely go in our bedroom that is on the direct opposite side of one wall. Therefore, each room will share the same wall where the TVs and Tivos will be located. I can then probably put this Clearstream2 antenna in the attic and snake it down this one wall shared by both TiVos.

Can I basically use a simple coaxial splitter to allow the one OTA antenna to feed BOTH of these TiVos? The coaxial cabling from the OTA antenna would probably be only about 30-40ft. Or would I need to do something else to make one antenna work for both?

2. Feb 2, 2012 #2 of 12
    Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    I have 2 Tivo HD's connected to one outdoor antenna. Has been fine for over 3 years.

3. Feb 2, 2012 #3 of 12
    HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Yep, a coax splitter will do fine for you. You will lose 3db with a 2-way splitter. If you don't have a strong enough OTA signal, put an amplifier at the antenna-end before the splitter.

4. Feb 2, 2012 #4 of 12
    troasti

troasti Member

Nov 12, 2008
    You should be ok just splitting it for 40 feet or so but if you are having issues you may want to use an pre-amplifier. The closer to the source (Antenna) the amplifier is the better. Basically you are trying to limit the loss over the line. The Channel Master CM7777 is a good choice. The amplifier is mounted on the antenna and the power supply would be pushed up the coax to it. BTW there really is no such thing as an HDTV antenna its a marketing gimmic. The signal pulled by the antenna is HD and has nothing to do with the antenna.

5. Feb 4, 2012 #5 of 12
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Be Aware: To my memory, the ClearStream 2 is a UHF only antenna and does not receive VHF High-band. Please be certain that there are no stations in your market that you wish to watch that are located on the VHF High-band.

6. Feb 4, 2012 #6 of 12
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    good point. Where does the high band start. I am in the Atlanta area and I know the CBS station here is ch46. Not sure if that is where it is located with an antenna though. I thought I remember seeing a website too that will tell you where all the HD channels are located on the spectrum. Is there such a site?

7. Feb 4, 2012 #7 of 12
  8. Feb 4, 2012 #8 of 12
    HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    In ATL the two DTV stations in the VHF band are Channel 11 (WXIA on VHF Channel 10), and Channel 8 (WGTV on VHF Channel 8). The rest of the ATL stations are UHF.

I use the ChannelMaster 4228 with a preamp. I live about 40 miles (line of sight) from ATL. The 4228 antenna does have some hi-VHF capabilities, and it works fine here. Get all the ATL stations including these two VHF-ers with no problem, though as I mention, I also use and needed a preamp.

9. Feb 7, 2012 #9 of 12
    buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Yea, I now see how the Best Buy TiVo/Clearstream bundle comes with a UHF only antenna. Thanks for pointing it out. Since ch11 (WXIA) is the NBC station, I would definitely want to get this channel if I ever go to a straight OTA type set up.

That being said & if I do still get this TiVo/Clearstream 2 bundle, is there any way of adding a VHF antenna with an existing UHF antenna? Maybe some sort of splitter or amplifier? Or would it just be more cost effective to get a whole new antenna that covers both UHF & VHF? I'm thinking the later.

10. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
  11. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    As far as using 2 TiVoHDs with an antenna, I have 3 TiVoHDs connected to my antenna without using an amplifier and it works fine;

12. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Yea, I recently saw an article about how cable companies are gonna be raising their rates soon here so while I am on a special promo deal ($69/month for TV & internet) & can stomach this rate for now, it might not last forever. I might EASILY then go to an OTA setup soon after its over and/or if I can't get another promo rate.

I guess its worth a shot to get this bundle since its essentially the same price as a TiVO by itself. Since the TiVo has both "cable" and "antenna" inputs, will then have to look at doing this & hopefully I can get OTA working good for ALL channels in my area while I am still getting regular cable TV.