Can you use a Tivo T6 with Comcast?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Fielding, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Fielding

Fielding New Member

May 28, 2010
    Thinking of purchasing a used one but have Comcast as cable service.

Thanks!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, but you need to pay attention to the precise model, such as an OTA model is meant only for antenna. A 6 tuner model is meant only for cable and never OTA. If you were to convert to OTA in the furure, you would need a different model, one with 4 tuners.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What's a "T6"? Isn't that a box leased from a specific cable provider? What TiVo service plan is it on that would allow its functioning outside the original cable provider?

4. cruff

cruff New Member

Aug 23, 2015
    I have a 6 tuner Roamio on Comcast in Colorado. It works great, but I don't get any of the extra cost channels. I don't need a tuning adapter where I'm at.

5. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I would be careful. The firmware on the T6 from one cable company may not work with another cable company.

6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Get the TSN from the seller and call Tivo, they will be able to tell you if the ISP unit you are considering will work with Comcast or anyone else. My guess is that it is an "unreturned" box from some company like RCN and is likely to be only good for a door stop.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If it’s a retail TiVo then it *should* work with Comcast, and is a totally different matter from trying to use a provider-leased TiVo outside the provider’s premise.

I suspect your Roamio also has an active TiVo service plan on a personal TiVo account.

Teeps likes this.
  8. Fielding

Fielding New Member

May 28, 2010
    Thanks Everyone!