Can you use a non-TiVo branded USB wireless adapter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by gweempose, Feb 6, 2014.

1. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

I just sold one of my Premiere boxes on eBay yesterday, and the buyer wants to know if they can use a non-TiVo branded USB wireless adapter with it. All of my TiVos are hardwired, so I have no experience in this area. Thanks!

2. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Series 2 and 3 TiVo DVRs have drivers built-in for a few old wireless B and G adapters. I don't know if those drivers were stripped out for the Premiere or not. Since the Premiere has an Ethernet port, it makes more sense to recommend a Wireless bridge. These are available to support Wireless N and brand should not matter at all. If the buyer has an old USB wireless B or G adapter laying around, he can just try plugging it in to the DVR. If the TiVo recognizes it, then it should work. If the TiVo doesn't recognize it, it definitely won't work. I sincerely doubt the old adapters that were supported can still be found to buy new, though used is possible. There are some ancient threads around here that mention brands and versions that are known to work on the S2 TiVo DVRs.

3. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the information! After doing a little research, it appears that TiVo does not officially support the use of third party wireless adapters with the Premiere boxes:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/405#L1

This doesn't necessarily mean that other brands won't work, but the buyer is probably better off sticking with the TiVo branded stuff.

4. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I am using a Cisco-branded adapter with my Premiere. This was necessary because the last TiVo update broke their ability to work with their own TiVo-branded adapters on the Premiere.

So at least on mine and a few others here on TCF, third party is necessary if you are going to use wireless on the Premiere with the latest update.

5. Jay2tak

Jay2tak Member

Jun 10, 2009

Advertisements

I use this and it works great at Newegg NETGEAR WNCE4004-100NAS N900 Video and Gaming 4-Port Wi-Fi Adapter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    As an apartment dweller I've used wireless bridges for years. Still using a dLink DAP-1522 on the bedroom DVR. From the fast Ethernet port on my Premiere it knows bothering about how it's connected. In a high density area like an apartment dual band becomes important.

Streaming HD content over the common 2.4Ghz band is likely fraught with issues because with conflicting networks, overlapping, top throughout is decreased. On the 5Ghz band there are few if any challengers. I've only in the last two years had one neighbor with a 5Ghz network. Though I've only had one competing on 5Ghz network I'm upgrading from 300n to 1300AC.

7. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Oops! I already told the buyer to go ahead and order the TiVo adapter. So you're saying that the TiVo branded adapters no longer work with ANY Premiere? That's messed up.

8. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Most reported that resetting the switch fixed it. Not sure if that was applicable to the poster in this thread.

I would recommend a third party bridge instead. Cheap and more useful.