Can you transfer a show to a family member or friend?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JP79, Mar 22, 2011.

1. JP79

JP79 New Member

Mar 22, 2011

Advertisements

So I'm wondering if my wife deleted a show and it's no longer showing in the recently deleted...because she deleted it...can someone who has that show on there DVR transfer it to my TiVo??

2. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Not possible.

3. JP79

JP79 New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Isn't there a way to hack into the DVR expander box?

4. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Possible, but not easily done. I've transferred shows to my PC, and set up a web server and proper xml files to describe the location and other information for the files, that I was then able to enter as a "Custom RSS Feed". The absolute abysmal upload cap imposed by my ISP didn't make this solution very practical; the "sharing" across the internet took several hours.

5. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA

Advertisements

Which show is it? Many shows are available online through the network's website, hulu, etc.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Only, as far as I know, if that other DVR (assuming it's a TiVo) is on the same account and therefore has the same Media Access Key.

If the other DVR is not a TiVo, but you can download the show from it to a computer, it might be possible to use TiVo Desktop on a computer on the same network as your wife's Tivo to make it available to that Tivo.

You'll have to get someone more knowledgeable than I to tell you exactly how to go about that, though.

edit--

Perhaps you'll find some clues in the answers to this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=466952

--end edit--

Or, if you can get your (wife's) TiVo to record from its line inputs, you could go from the line outputs of the other DVR into the Tivo's line inputs and record it manually in real time.

Or do the same thing, only set the other DVR's RF output to either channel 3 or 4 and run coax from it to the TiVo's RF input and tune the Tivo to 3 or 4 and do a manual recording in real time.

7. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If you know someone with a networked TiVo, the easiest solution would be to have them download the show and decrypt it to straight MPEG-2 using tivodecode. If you use kmttg you can do it all with that one interface.

Transfer it to your computer on a DVD or large flash drive, then watch it from there or send it to your TiVo using the free version of TiVo Desktop or pyTivo.

8. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I can't offer any assistance about how to directly transfer the show from a friend's TiVo to yours and reading about any possible solutions didn't help me. I like simple solutions and Videoredo is simple. I downloaded the free trial version and used it for a month and it was very easy to use and transferring unprotected programs to a PC was a breeze. You could use that to write the program to a DVD-R or other possibility from the PC, assuming the program you want is not protected.