Can you still get the O&O HD channels?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by kdonnel, Jan 25, 2006.

1. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    Atlanta is an O&O Fox market. I get 88 on my HD Tivo's.

A guy at work was talking about how he wants to watch the Super Bowl in HD but does not have an antenna and does not want to get the new dish or HD receiver until it can record.

I told him he should be able to get channel 88 turned up just by calling.

The first CSR he was connected to told him there was no way he could get channel 88.

Should he keep calling back or have the rules changed since they started offering the big 4 in HD in Atlanta?

2. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    I've heard about people not being able to get them anymore, and some people losing them when calling for other reasons. Not sure how much truth there is to it. I have 82 (NBC-HD) and I have activated aa couple receivers recently and still have it. I have had it for about a year and a half now.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can't "just call" - the local station has to approve a waiver. Each station has its own rules on this and there's no guarantee.

4. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    There used to be a link on the DirecTV site, though, that said if it's an O&O, you can get it without waivers.

5. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    Here is the link:

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/fox_hd.html

It looks like they added the following section since I was able to get 88 added:

Please note, that in the near future, DIRECTV will be launching new state-of-the-art satellites to deliver HD local channel feeds from additional markets. When local HD channels launch in your market, you may no longer be able to see the New York and Los Angeles programming feeds, and a new dish and HD receiver will be required to see your local market HD channels.

That makes it sound like my friend is out of luck.

6. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    I would have sworn that the super bowl was on fox.....oh well. I am not the big sports fan.

7. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    D* is NO longer offering the O&O's to any NEW customers in any of the MPEG4 HD markets. If you already have it, you get to keep it for now, but eventually, everyone WILL be loosing them. (probably after the HD DVR's come out) The O&O thing was ONLY a temporary measure until the MPEG4 locals came out. D* will now be treating distant HD nets just like SD ones - if you live in an HD LIL market, they will NOT give you HD distants - period, waivers or not.